The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Albums of 2021
PostPosted: Fri January 01, 2021 3:44 pm 
Rank This Poster

The Dirty Nil released Fuck Art today. It’s a solid album, and I really hope they get to play it live this year.

Post subject: Re: Albums of 2021
PostPosted: Sun January 03, 2021 5:20 pm 
She / Her

I'm waiting for The Raging River by Cult of Luna

PostPosted: Sun January 03, 2021 5:47 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

daft twat wrote:
The Dirty Nil released Fuck Art today. It’s a solid album, and I really hope they get to play it live this year.

Hey I kind of like those guys I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Mon January 04, 2021 3:20 pm 

The thing with the Dirty Nil is they almost always fall in to the same trap that the Darkness occasionally falls into in that instead of writing rock songs that might be funny they try to write funny songs that might rock and it comes off forced. Lyrically the new album follows in the tradition of the other albums where you kinda have to ignore the words or you wanna die. That said Ride or Die rocks. There are always a few songs each album that makes me keep coming back even if my brain says this is dumb.

PostPosted: Mon January 04, 2021 3:56 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Woke up to a notification on Google Music that Steve Earle just dropped an album simply called J.T. today.

Reading that broke my fucking heart. Not sure if I'm ready to listen, but I bet it's good.

(Earle lost his estranged son, Justin Townes, last year.)

PostPosted: Mon January 04, 2021 4:05 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Yeah I'll be listening to that

PostPosted: Mon January 04, 2021 8:26 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

It's a solid record. Really dig it.

The Harlem River Blues cover definitely hit me hard.

PostPosted: Fri January 08, 2021 3:36 am 
Rank This Poster

Kings of Leon released 2 New songs today

PostPosted: Fri January 08, 2021 5:24 pm 

Jesus Christ Last Words off the new Steve Earle album fucking killed me. Thanks a lot for recommending that one guys fuck I'm gonna go jump off the roof now.

PostPosted: Sat January 09, 2021 2:19 am 
Rank This Poster

bada wrote:
The thing with the Dirty Nil is they almost always fall in to the same trap that the Darkness occasionally falls into in that instead of writing rock songs that might be funny they try to write funny songs that might rock and it comes off forced. Lyrically the new album follows in the tradition of the other albums where you kinda have to ignore the words or you wanna die. That said Ride or Die rocks. There are always a few songs each album that makes me keep coming back even if my brain says this is dumb.

This is dead on balls accurate. I only “discovered” them when they opened for White Reaper. They’re very fun live. The kid can play guitar effortlessly and scream forever, but his lyrics are frequently embarrassing.

PostPosted: Sat January 09, 2021 5:02 pm 

daft twat wrote:
bada wrote:

This is dead on balls accurate. I only “discovered” them when they opened for White Reaper. They’re very fun live. The kid can play guitar effortlessly and scream forever, but his lyrics are frequently embarrassing.

That's funny I "discovered" them by googling 'bands like White Reaper'.

PostPosted: Sat January 09, 2021 5:07 pm 
The Master

I don’t think you need to quote the word discovered in this context

PostPosted: Sat January 09, 2021 7:35 pm 

I'm "sorry".

PostPosted: Sat January 09, 2021 7:58 pm 
The Master

Period on the outside of a quote?!

PostPosted: Sat January 09, 2021 7:59 pm 
Rank This Poster

Chevelle released a new single ahead of a March album. I can’t imagine them being anyone’s favorite band, but they are so reliable at making songs that are perfect for lifting weights.

PostPosted: Sat January 09, 2021 9:55 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:
Period on the outside of a quote?!

dammit

PostPosted: Thu January 14, 2021 3:16 pm 
AnalLog

Today kicks off the second half of Constellation Records' Corona Borealis series with "The Smell of Wet Clay" by Brooklyn-based film composer T. Griffin. Additionally, Constellation has announced that they are also releasing an album of Griffin's soundtrack to the 2018 film The Proposal, which will share the same title as the film and is inextricably linked to Griffin's Corona Borealis series piece. The album will be released digitally on April 12, with physical formats to follow on June 11.

The film is a docu-drama by artist Jill Magid that examines the legacy of Luis Barragán, a Mexican architect, and T. Griffin's score features his own contributions on banjo, guitar, percussion, keyboards, field recordings, and voice with additional instrumentation from a host of friends including Sophie Trudeau, Matana Roberts, Tim Herzog, Jim White, and Jason Ajemian among others. "The Smell of Wet Clay" emerged from some leftover material from the recording sessions for The Proposal that Griffin reshaped and added to while in isolation from Covid last spring.

Both the new piece and the album can be found at the same link on Bandcamp where the former can be obtained at Name Your Price for now, and the latter can be preordered: https://tgriffin.bandcamp.com/album/the-proposal

Here's "The Smell of Wet Clay" along with video directed by Jill Magid, edited by Hannah Buck, and filmed Jarred Alterman:

Last edited by Brett on Fri January 15, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri January 15, 2021 1:42 pm 
AnalLog

Striking while the iron is hot, Pete Johnston is following up last year's two See Through 4 albums with a new third release under that band name, Permanent Moving Parts, out March 26 on All-Set! Editions. The See Through 4 band is a mutable project with Johnston selecting band members for whatever role he needs, so on this release the quartet consists of Johnston in the ever present role of bassist/composer, Lina Allemano on trumpet, Michael Davidson providing vibraphone, and Jake Oelrichs in the drummer's seat. This album is apparently the third in a "jazz trilogy," so who knows what the next See Through project might be, but with the press release alluding to threads of '80s era Rush appearing on this record, I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnston return to his more rock-oriented See Through 5.

Here's the Bandcamp link where opening track "Underground Over Night" can currently be streamed:

PostPosted: Thu January 21, 2021 3:50 pm 
AnalLog

Here we are, back again, this time with the 10th release of Constellation's Corona Borealis series (the second one of this year), "3 Stars on Mountain of Doom" by Eric Chenaux. The track is a mutli-segmented piece that is inspired by the work of experimental folk musician Richard Youngs and the final segment is an instrumental version of Youngs' song "Mountain of Doom." The entire work is instrumental with Chenaux layering electric guitar, nylon-string guitar, bowed guitar, electronics, and field recordings in his usual dreamlike soundscape fashion.

Here's the track at PWYC for now on Bandcamp: https://ericchenaux.bandcamp.com/track/3-stars-on-mountain-of-doom

And here it is with accompanying video shot by Chenaux's friend Eric Cazdyn:

PostPosted: Thu January 21, 2021 4:18 pm 

Music videos have come a long way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands