The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3327 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 167  Next

So...Sirens?
5 stars 38%  38%  [ 47 ]
4 stars 24%  24%  [ 30 ]
3 stars 20%  20%  [ 25 ]
2 stars 5%  5%  [ 6 ]
1 star 13%  13%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 124
 Post subject: Re: New Song (9.19.13): Sirens
PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2013 9:47 pm 
The worst

I prefer the live version thus far, but I also haven't heard the good quality studio take,

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2013 9:49 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

harmless wrote:
I'm much more sympathetic to that... Facebook nearly ruined my life.

I made an account for like two weeks, a few years back. Here's what I learned about my friends and family:

They believed every death hoax and e-mail forward they ever saw.
They appeared to think that a button that says "Like" was a valuable and effective means of communication.
They had nothing interesting to say ever. EVER.

After two weeks, I realized I had to abandon Facebook because it was making me think less of everybody I ever cared for. I'm not sure I ever even made a post.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2013 9:50 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Strat wrote:
harmless wrote:
By far the worst thing about the studio version is that piano and xylophone over the "I want you to know..." section. But it ends soon after so that's OK.

I think the studio version is better, personally. I was glad to like the video though, and I'm also glad Boom was on it and everyone looked as if they were utterly content. First thing for a while that hasn't seemed really awkward.

They all look fully committed to it. Stone sounds fantastic and i love that he found a place for the use of his tremolo he has been riding for the past couple years. They all seem to share a look on their face of pure joy and proud being of this song.

Very much. I've wanted more reminders that this is *my band*, so I've wanted BO'B to get out the way and start loving some songs, for another interview (Mike's was really good) and to just get a hint that the band are fine with what they're doing. All signs point to yes.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2013 9:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Mike's solo seems rather . . . LOUD.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2013 9:52 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
harmless wrote:
I'm much more sympathetic to that... Facebook nearly ruined my life.

I made an account for like two weeks, a few years back. Here's what I learned about my friends and family:

They believed every death hoax and e-mail forward they ever saw.
They appeared to think that a button that says "Like" was a valuable and effective means of communication.
They had nothing interesting to say ever. EVER.

After two weeks, I realized I had to abandon Facebook because it was making me think less of everybody I ever cared for. I'm not sure I ever even made a post.

Yup. You do tend to realise that people you once liked are total idiots, even if it's too long down the line. Took me a lot longer to quit Facebook but glad I finally did.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2013 9:57 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I like the version i've downloaded from pj.com. I also thought the video could have been much worse, so at least there was restraint on the sappiness/cheesiness there.

Just so I know, is this what people thought would be "the new black" because I'm not hearing the connection. I thought the song showed restraint where unthought known and amongst the waves did not.

4 out of 5 stars.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2013 10:06 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Much prefer the video version of the song. I still think this would've made a great album closer and when I make my next PJ compilation disc for the car that's exactly what it's going to become.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2013 10:09 pm 

elliseamos wrote:
I like the version i've downloaded from pj.com. I also thought the video could have been much worse, so at least there was restraint on the sappiness/cheesiness there.

Just so I know, is this what people thought would be "the new black" because I'm not hearing the connection. I thought the song showed restraint where unthought known and amongst the waves did not.

4 out of 5 stars.

Yeah this had the 'Black' comparisons. I can see that it has some of the same ingredients as Black, if that song had been written completely devoid of alternative angst and in 2013 by five guys aged 50.

Last edited by harmless on Wed September 18, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2013 10:10 pm 
Stone's Bitch

After listening to the FLAC, so much more to notice in this thing, namely Stone's guitar soaring in the background and how well Matt's kit is mic'd.

It's a restrained stadium power ballad. I don't know how they did that but there it is.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2013 10:11 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Also, have we set an over/under yet for days until stupidmop comes to the dark side and gives in to the Sirens?

I'll set it at 4.

likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Something about this song rules. I actually do get the Black connection and think this is a top tier song. The review on the main page confuses me, this is a straight ahead rock ballad and it is awesome. I can see how it could not be someone's thing but I love the Def Leppardness of it.

This may be a 5*

I'm getting more and more confident we'll be pleasantly surprised by Future Days.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2013 10:12 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

evenslow wrote:
After listening to the FLAC, so much more to notice in this thing, namely Stone's guitar soaring in the background and how well Matt's kit is mic'd.

It's a restrained stadium power ballad. I don't know how they did that but there it is.

felt the same way (in a good way). :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2013 10:12 pm 

Blenheim Augustine wrote:
Something about this song rules. I actually do get the Black connection and think this is a top tier song. The review on the main page confuses me, this is a straight ahead rock ballad and it is awesome. I can see how it could not be someone's thing but I love the Def Leppardness of it.

This may be a 5*

:hooray:

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2013 10:14 pm 
Rank This Poster

evenslow wrote:

The .flac sounds great!

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2013 10:14 pm 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

Quote:
It is my husband Frank's and my new Pearl Jam love song! Thanks Pearl Jam! We love it!

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2013 10:16 pm 
Rank This Poster

I can't wait to slow dance to this song.

AnalLog

evenslow wrote:

I think at least in part it's because Mike's on an acoustic for most of the song.

The really odd think is that the more i listen to it the more "Pearl Jam" this song is.

Stone's Bitch

Farmer John wrote:
I can't wait to slow dance to this song.

Solo = making the move

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2013 10:17 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Mine wrote:
evenslow wrote:

I think at least in part it's because Mike's on an acoustic for most of the song.

The really odd think is that the more i listen to it the more "Pearl Jam" this song is.

If we could just force the entire world to listen to this 10 times in a row, all that initial 80's shit falls away and your left with a pretty killer track, plain and simple.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3327 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 167  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam