The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: Re: Next-Gen Consoles (Coming 2020-ish)
PostPosted: Thu November 26, 2020 1:36 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Other than the smooth 60 fps and some slightly upgraded visuals, Assassin's Creed Valhalla is clearly a last gen title.

Still enjoying it so far. The intro section is very long. I'm probably 3 hours in and have yet to see the Title screen.

Good to know that i won't be missing out on much by playing it on PS4. I picked up a few games last weekend and i think i will stick that one under the christmas tree for myself.

PostPosted: Thu November 26, 2020 1:55 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Four bosses into Demon's Souls. Found a great spot to farm some health.
care to share?

PostPosted: Mon November 30, 2020 6:04 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

How's everyone feeling about their new consoles a few weeks in?

PostPosted: Mon November 30, 2020 6:18 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:

The SSD is a true game changer. Not sure how many true "next gen" games there are right now beyond Demon's Souls. DualSense seems like a real step up too.

I'm also really tired of jokes about the size of the PS5 and the confusing Xbox naming conventions.

PostPosted: Mon November 30, 2020 6:21 pm 
Champion of RM

tree_ wrote:

PS5 definitely seems more next-gen to me. The DualSense controller might be the first major controller evolution in quite some time. Astro's Playroom is a playable love-letter to the Playstation brand. I'd give it an A as far as free game pack-ins go (only WiiSports and this over the past 25 years?). Spiderman is clearly a last-gen game. No real PS5 upgrades here.

XSX doesn't feel much different from the X1. I'm enjoying Yakuza, but it's also playable as last gen.

The load times for both are a noticeable improvement.

Purely conjecture, but damn, I'm guessing Halo Infinite would have owned the launch window narrative. It's still featured in almost all XSX marketing. They put all their eggs in this basket.

This week, I plan on buying Immortals Fenyx Rising for PS5 provided its reviews are decent. Gears Tactics should be in my mailbox right now.

Not a ton to look forward to next year - Ratchet and Clank in the spring, Horizon and Halo (and Zelda) in the fall. 2021 will be a lean year software wise.

PostPosted: Mon November 30, 2020 6:45 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Hmm.. yeah good thoughts. The controller is amazing and I'm looking forward to seeing how new games incorporate the features. You're right about Spider Man feeling last gen. I cannot play Demon's Souls or Spider Man in cinematic mode with low frame rates so I can't really see the ray-tracing and all that. Even when I try, can't really tell much of a graphical difference so definitely not worth sacrificing frame rates.

Still cool, but was hoping for more next gen experiences outside of Demon's Souls, which if I play too much gives me actual god damn nightmares. Looking forward to a Sekiro play-through at 60fps. Probably when I finish Demon's Souls. Not really much to look forward to other than that and getting through the Spider Mans. Kind of excited for Madden's next-gen update Friday but not expecting much.

PostPosted: Mon November 30, 2020 7:00 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Oh and watching a movie (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood) in 4K for the first time once my new sound bar arrives today or tomorrow. That's exciting.

PostPosted: Mon November 30, 2020 7:12 pm 
AnalLog

I can't speak for the Xbox, but agree with all on PS5 comments so far. The SSD is quite frankly amazing. I've been obsessed with Miles Morales for the last week or so. I'm already about 60% done with the entire game (which is blazing fast for me). What's crazy is that it literally takes a few seconds (no exaggeration) to select the game from the PS main menu until I'm back into the action. Coming from someone who's been with Sony ever since PS1 was released, not having those load times is pretty significant. Barely have time to sip my beer before I'm swinging through the city.

Demon's Souls is gorgeous, but I haven't played much only because I suck so hard at it. I'm going to re-visit once I get through Miles. I should note that the Spider Man remaster looks great too, though not quite as fast in-game as Miles, so I may re-visit that one instead since I only made it about half way through the first game. My progress on the first one was halted as soon as RDR2 came out in fall of 2018.

Also all of the glowing reviews you read about the new controller are absolutely true. It might be the biggest controller upgrade I've seen since PS1 came out and the playstation controller was introduced to the market.

I haven't played any 4K blu rays yet but I'm anxious to try them out.

Only (few) negatives so far is the SSD size. I know you can delete old games off, but for someone as slow as me sometimes you need or want to hop around to different games to keep my interest going. Also, for some of the free PS5 upgrades (like Mortal Kombat 11, Devil May Cry 5, Spider Man, etc), you have to download them to the SSD, not your external HDD. At 60-80GB a pop, that eats up space quick. I'm assuming this will be the case with the Cyberpunk upgrade comes out next year, and no doubt that game will be a whopper. I look forward to sticking one or two more SSDs in here once Sony releases more intel on compatible SSD upgrades.

Only other con, like ya'll already pointed out, is that the release window for new, quality PS5 games like Ratchet and Horizon are likely far into 2021, with no release date word on other promising titles like Returnal. All in all, which has always been the case with new consoles, new release window looks pretty slim for the next 6 months so I'll def be firing up some PS4 backlog in the coming months.

Last edited by Revelator on Tue December 01, 2020 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon November 30, 2020 7:14 pm 
The Master

I have no problem with a slow early 2020 release calendar. I probably won't finish Assassin's Creed or Cyberpunk until late spring anyway. I can imagine several games originally planned for the time window have been pushed back due to COVID-19 anyway.

PostPosted: Mon November 30, 2020 7:17 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Oh yeah the fast load times are definitely amazing. It is unfortunate it doesn't apply to all PS4 games cause I too will be replaying them while awaiting new games. Sekiro loaded faster but RDR2 and TLOU2 were about the same as far as I could tell. I also tried the No Man's Sky upgrade and it's still a boring game.

PostPosted: Mon November 30, 2020 7:39 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
Oh yeah the fast load times are definitely amazing. It is unfortunate it doesn't apply to all PS4 games cause I too will be replaying them while awaiting new games. Sekiro loaded faster but RDR2 and TLOU2 were about the same as far as I could tell. I also tried the No Man's Sky upgrade and it's still a boring game.

I bet the Last of Us Part Two will have a big visual upgrade coming soon (along with an online Multiplayer component).

PostPosted: Tue December 01, 2020 12:47 am 
AnalLog

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:

I bet the Last of Us Part Two will have a big visual upgrade coming soon (along with an online Multiplayer component).

Yes I'm counting on this actually so I'm holding off on my second New Game+ playthrough in hopes for some kind of next-gen upgrade. It's been confirmed that Factions (or whatever they end up calling it is happening). I can't imagine a game as lauded as this one wouldn't receive some kind of next gen fidelity and/or frame rate bump.

I've got the DMC V PS5 version arriving tomorrow. Never got around to playing it on PS4 so anxious to fire that one up too after Miles Morales.

PostPosted: Tue December 01, 2020 1:28 am 
Future Drummer

Can anyone explain what's new about the PS5 controller?

PostPosted: Tue December 01, 2020 2:45 am 
The Master

Orpheus wrote:
Can anyone explain what's new about the PS5 controller?

The combination of the haptic feedback, speaker, microphones, and resistant triggers creates a true sense of immersion not found in previous controllers. The haptic feedback in particular is much more advanced than other controllers' rumble.

It also helps that the form factor is the best one yet for a PS controller.

Sort of difficult to describe the sensation of using it. One of those "you have to try it" sort of things.

Last edited by Monkey_Driven on Tue December 01, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue December 01, 2020 2:34 pm 
Future Drummer

You covered it pretty well, sounds awesome.

PostPosted: Tue December 01, 2020 4:50 pm 
The Master

There are so many clickbait articles about these new consoles.

PostPosted: Tue December 01, 2020 5:36 pm 
AnalLog

Still loving my Series X, but clear they were banking on Halo at launch. Enjoying messing around with Game Pass games. Wish Watch Dogs wasn’t completely glitched so I could play it. Thanks Ubisoft.

PostPosted: Tue December 01, 2020 5:45 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I completely gave up on Ubisoft a while ago. They always seem to put out a disappointing product.

PostPosted: Tue December 01, 2020 6:15 pm 
AnalLog

tree_ wrote:
I completely gave up on Ubisoft a while ago. They always seem to put out a disappointing product.

I’ve loved both Watch Dogs games but this one doesn’t even save your progress so have to wait on a patch. Never have gotten into their other games.

Control coming to Game Pass this week. Held out on last gen because I heard it had performance issues so gonna check it out.

PostPosted: Wed December 02, 2020 3:09 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:

I generally find their games to be well made with lots of competent gameplay systems in place. Their problem is bloat and scope. Their open world games are too big, with too many collectibles and side missions. It waters down the experience.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 57  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games