The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Fri October 30, 2020 7:25 pm 
AnalLog

I can't seem to post the youtube video, but ESPN just put out an extreme sports documentary called Fire on the Mountain. Dead music with Bill Walton narrating.

PostPosted: Sat October 31, 2020 1:48 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia Band - Electric on the Eel (Part 3): Piercy, CA 8/10/91

The last of a series of three shows over 5 years. This one finds them with a very different set list, which is refreshing since as good as these shows are, they can at times seem repetitive. Here, we have my favorite take on And It Stones Me, a really good You Never Can Tell, and Struggling Man rounds out the highlights of a quick first set.

The second set has a really wonderful version of Shining Star, not a song I would otherwise be particularly fond of, but Jerry’s delivery really sells it. Think is always among his best solo songs live, and Lay Down Sally is spot on. I would say this was a good show, though I have certainly heard better from them.

Set 1: The Way You Do the Things You Do, And It Stoned Me, You Never Can Tell (C’est La Vie), Waiting For a Miracle, Struggling Man, My Sisters and Brothers, Deal

Set 2: Shining Star, Think, Lay Down Sally, Twilight, See What Love Can Do, Lazy Bones, Everybody Needs Somebody to Love

PostPosted: Sat October 31, 2020 1:34 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia & David Grisman

Another Jerry side project finds its way into this journey. In the early 90s, we find Jerry working out his acoustic itch with David Grisman with the most successful highlights being Jerry’s Grateful Dead and JGB originals, as in Friend of the Devil and Russian Lullaby. The cover of The Thrill is Gone however is the game changer here. The Grateful Dawg and Arabia instrumentals are also quite solid, the latter though running a bit too long.

PostPosted: Sat October 31, 2020 2:07 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Note: as suggested earlier, I am in the midst of simultaneously compiling some of my favorite moments in this journey for a Spotify playlist - but I am having more trouble cutting it down. I still have more to go before it is completed though since I am currently listening in 1991. Next up on the journey will be a couple of shows from September - the 9/10 show at Madison Square Garden (off archive.org) and Dicks Picks Vol. 17 that covers their show in Boston on 9/25.

PostPosted: Mon November 02, 2020 12:53 pm 
Future Drummer

There's a good doc about the Garcia Grisman side trip that is actually pretty great called Grateful Dawg. I saw it was free on the Roku channel a few weeks ago, so it shouldn't be too hard to track down.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Mon November 02, 2020 5:40 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
There's a good doc about the Garcia Grisman side trip that is actually pretty great called Grateful Dawg. I saw it was free on the Roku channel a few weeks ago, so it shouldn't be too hard to track down.

You can watch it on Amazon Prime.

PostPosted: Mon November 02, 2020 5:49 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Madison Square Garden, New York, NY 9/10/91

This show features a full sit in with Brandford Marsalis. The result of this one is fantastic, in large part because this feels like a full band effort and not a series of dueling solos. There’s a natural chemistry and serving of each song that carries the show from front to back and makes it one of the better Dead shows I have listened through. In the first set, we have a serious contender for best Shakedown Street (topped maybe only by the version on 9/18/87), a great It Takes a Lot to Laugh..., Cassidy, and Deal. Set 2 is a sort of best of to start with great versions with Marsalis on Help on the Way/ Slipknot!, Franklin’s Tower, Estimated Prophet, and a LONG Dark Star that has that free form jazz feel to it rather than some of the dark twisted versions kicking around in the late 80s. The show ends with another Dylan cover Its All Over Now Baby Blue that Marsalis digs into nicely. Really fabulous show here.

Set 1: Shakedown Street, CC Rider > It Takes a Lot
To Laugh It Takes a Train to Cry, Black-Throated Wind, High Time, Cassidy, Deal

Set 2: Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Franklin’s Tower > estimated Prophet > Dark Star > Drums > Space > Dark Star > I Need a Miracle > Standing on the Moon > Turn On Your Lovelight

Encore: It’s All Over Now Baby Blue

PostPosted: Wed November 04, 2020 2:38 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Dick’s Picks Vol. 17 - Boston Garden, Boston, MA 9/25/91

Another historic venue just a couple weeks after that tremendous Branford Marsalis show at MSG. The Dead were still in a good place here as well. I really enjoyed the first set in this show as they kicked things off with the trifecta of Help/Slipknot/Franklin’s Tower. Walkin Blues might have been a little too keys focused for me here but It a must Have Been the Roses and Dire Wolf sounded pretty great. Tennessee Jed and The Music Never Stopped were awesome to close out that first set.

Set 2 also features a ton to enjoy. Victim or the Crime and Crazy Fingers were both really good - the latter of which had a real jazzy feel to it. This wasn’t the best Terrapin Station per se, but hearing it here made me reverse my thoughts on this - I think it’s essential when they ply it live the way it builds and moves around and extends into jams with that amazing signature riff. I have been consistently noting how good it is every time I hear it played so I am ready to cast it above the studio version at the moment. In other spots, China Doll sounded maybe the best I have heard, and same into Throwing Stones. The Mighty Quinn cover was a good way to close out the encore.

As a bonus, we also get Samson and Delilah (fantastic!) from the Boston Garden in March 1991, as well as a long Eyes of the World from that same show.

Set 1: Help on the Way > Slipknot > Franklin’s Tower, Walkin’ Blues, It Must Have Been the Roses, Dire Wolf, Queen Jane Approximately, Tennessee Jed, The Music Never Stopped

Set 2: Victim or the Crime, Crazy Fingers, Playing in the Band > Terrapin Station > Jam > Drums > Space > That Would Be Something > Playing in the Band > China Doll > Throwing Stones > Not Fade Away

Encore: The Mighty Quinn (Quinn the Eskimo)

Bonus 3/31/91: Samson and Delilah > Eyes of the World

PostPosted: Thu November 05, 2020 9:31 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia Band - PureJerry: Coliseum, Hampton, VA 11/9/91

If early day Dead had a special relationship with the Fillmore both East and West, latter day Jerry had something special going on with Hampton, VA. Two shows with the Dead between the late 80s, and now this show with JGB. With Bruce Hornsby sitting in for the full show, they just sound great. In the first set, I’d spend more time talking about You Never Can Tell and a spirited Run for the Roses, but they get clobbered by end all be all rendition of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down that features incredible guitar and keyboard jams - just very emotional and powerful on both ends. The thrills continue in the second half of I Second That Emotion and through the set closer Ain’t No Bread in the Breadbox.

Set 2 picks right up with a glorious Bright Side of the Road, another great Think, I Shall Be Released, Don’t Let Go, Midnight Moonlight, and the laid back and dreamy encore of What a Wonderful World. Fabulous little set even if you can start to hear Jerry losing his vocal abilities and even sharing much more in the spotlight.

Set 1: How Sweet It Is, He Ain’t Give You None, Run for the Roses, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, I Second That Emotion, My Sisters and Brothers, Ain’t No Bread in the Breadbox

Set 2: Bright Side of the Road, Shining Star, Waiting for a Miracle, Think, Don’t Let Go, Midnight Moonlight

Encore: What a Wonderful World

PostPosted: Thu November 05, 2020 10:31 pm 
Polluted

How can you keep this up? I would've taken a bath with a toaster, by now.

PostPosted: Thu November 05, 2020 11:11 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I mean at this point I am getting summit fever. Not sure what I will do with myself when I am done.

Honestly, I am not even sick of them. There’s just so much variation from show to show that you get FOMO by skipping shows. I will say I look forward to JGB shows a little less when I go to put it in but once it’s rolling I get into it.

PostPosted: Fri November 06, 2020 1:30 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Self wrote:

He is just that good, man

The Grateful Dead are a beautiful thing beyond compare

PostPosted: Fri November 06, 2020 1:33 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Self wrote:

Whenever you are feeling g :mrgreen: :mrgreen: d, ask Alexa to play "wharfRat, live"

PostPosted: Fri November 06, 2020 2:30 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I started this thing on June 30th. I am getting closer but not at the end yet. And when I am done, I 100% intend to go back for a lot of things I missed along the way.

PostPosted: Fri November 06, 2020 3:29 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia Band - GarciaLive Volume 8: Milwaukee, WI 11/23/91

This was one helluva tour! Here, JGB one ups the prior show I listened to with a dynamite set and a band in real fine form. An extended Cats Under the Stars starts is off and it was clear from the jump this show was going to be really good. They Love Each Other was one of the better versions I have heard in a while. Lay Down Sally was really great as was another killer Dixie Down. Money Honey was really great blues jam, and I was even more into My Sisters and Brothers than usual. Deal ended the set fantastically.

Set 2 started with a briefer but no less powerful cover of Bright Side of the Road (one of the best covers to grace the JGB sets - just works perfectly for Jerry), Think is particularly hot, Ain’t No Bread.. sounds great again, and to close out with the usual fantastic duo of That Lucky Old Sun and the killer Tangled Up in Blue cover that often closes is the perfect ending here.

Set 1: Cats Under the Stars, They Love Each Other, Lay Down Sally, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, Reuben and Cherise, Money Honey, My Sisters and Brothers, Deal

Set 2: Bright Side of the Road, Waiting for a Miracle, Think, Shining Star, Ain’t No Bread in the Breadbox, That Lucky Old Sun, Tangled Up in Blue

PostPosted: Fri November 06, 2020 8:30 pm 
tl;dr

Is that Van Morrison's "Bright Side of the Road?" I'd love to hear that!

PostPosted: Fri November 06, 2020 11:08 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Yes and it is really incredible. What makes this such a great journey is just unexpectedly finding stuff like that.

PostPosted: Sat November 07, 2020 12:55 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Dick’s Picks Vol. 27 - Oakland Coliseum, Oakland, CA 12/16/92

So we pick up about a year later and suddenly you can sense a bit more wear and tear on everyone’s voices - particularly Weir who alternates between singing and shouting, while Jerry’s voice keeps slowly sounding a little more frail but he can still keep it together for the show. The band still sounds great, and this show is a little less keys focused than they had been. First set started off on the wrong foot with butchered Feel Like a Stranger but by the time we get to The Same Thing it improves up through the end of the first set.

Set 2 is Dead as we know them killing it on Shakedown Street and Samson and Delilah. Ship of Fools is also really good. The ascent back from the long jams into Dark Star was nice, and Watchtower and Stella Blue were really good. Casey Jones was a good way to end the show.

Bonus material is fun. A very good Throwing Stones, and then Baba O’Riley was fun while Tomorrow Never Knows was awesome.

Set 1: Feel Like a Stranger, Brown-Eyed Women, The Same Thing, Loose Lucy, Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again, Row Jimmy, Let It Grow

Set 2: Shakedown Street, Samson and Delilah, Ship of Fools, Playing in the Band > Drums > Space > Dark Star > All Along the Watchtower > Stella Blue > Good Lovin’

Encore: Casey Jones

Bonus from 12/17: Throwing Stones > Not Fade Away, Baba O’Riley > Tomorrow Never Knows

PostPosted: Sat November 07, 2020 2:02 am 
tl;dr

Is the Ready or Not album up on your streaming service of choice? Cool roundup of songs intended for the Dead's final album -- some of which suck hard, but a few (especially "Lazy River Road" IMO) that are late-career treats.

PostPosted: Sat November 07, 2020 2:04 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Yes it is. Before the end for sure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 42  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands