The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Thu October 15, 2020 1:23 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Built to Last

I’ll go slightly out of order to ensure a high close out to the 80s in this exceptionally long and rewarding journey. The Dead’s last proper studio album, out Halloween 1989, is an album showing a band really done with this format. And this is probably the weakest link in their albums, though not without its highlights. Blow Away is probably the best of the bunch when it comes to Mydland songs, and Built to Last and Standing on the Moon are both strong songs for them though not in the realm of the greatest by any stretch. I also like Picasso Moon. The real takeaway from this album is Victim or the Crime, which feels like the reason for this album. It’s the real standout and purpose to tune in.

PostPosted: Thu October 15, 2020 8:20 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Miami Arena, Miami, FL 10/26/89

My final entry for the 80s and before moving on to the 90s. And wow is that second set the blowout I was hoping for. To start though, the first set is rather solid despite seeming like an afterthought with that second set. The opening trio of Foolish Heart, Little Red Rooster and Stagger Lee really kicked things off nicely if not predictably. Me & My Uncle and Big River were also quite good, and the always great Victim or the Crime along with a spirited Don’t Ease Me In close out that first set. From there, it’s no holds barred, as he second set kicks off with a very good Estimated Prophet > Blow Away. That Dark Star follows, a kaleidoscope of terrors as it hit the second half of the song with various unidentifiable sounds coming from all different directions like Sonic Youth trying to capture Pink Floyd on a bad acid trip. That gets extended through Drums/Space and into The Wheel - nearly an hour of psychedelic insanity. Once it lets up the show keeps its epic pace with The Wheel into Watchtower into a gorgeous Stella Blue. Not Fade Away (with the crowd just taking over at the end) closes that set out and all that’s left is the Goodnight encore. That must have been wild to attend.

Set 1: Foolish Heart, Little Red Rooster, Stagger Lee, Me & My Uncle > Big River, Brown Eyed Women, Victim or the Crime, Don’t Ease Me In

Set 2: Estimated Prophet > Blow Away, Dark Star > Drums > Space > The Wheel > All Along the Watchtower > Stella Blue > Not Fade Away

Encore: And We Bid You Goodnight

PostPosted: Thu October 15, 2020 8:22 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

oasisfan35 wrote:

I saw a bunch of ads for this. Are these particularly good shows?

PostPosted: Thu October 15, 2020 9:26 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

FYI, everyone gets a set break, mostly because I think tomorrow is both the Tom Petty reissue and Bruce’s new album.

PostPosted: Fri October 16, 2020 5:12 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:

Top Notch shows!! I never really got into 1987 aside from the MSG run but man a live what little I've heard of these Hartford shows are excellent. I almost purchased this set, but without a dedicated CD player any more I couldn't justify $50 car CDs.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Fri October 16, 2020 5:14 pm 
tl;dr

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
liebzz wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:

Top Notch shows!! I never really got into 1987 aside from the MSG run but man a live what little I've heard of these Hartford shows are excellent. I almost purchased this set, but without a dedicated CD player any more I couldn't justify $50 car CDs.

I'll hook you up with the FLACs when my set arrives! I subscribed for the first time this year, so getting a 4CD installment for this was a pleasant surprise. I too am relatively unfamiliar with 1987 so this will be an edifying listen for me!

PostPosted: Fri October 16, 2020 5:28 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kevin Davis wrote:
super nintendo chalmers wrote:
liebzz wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:

I'll hook you up with the FLACs when my set arrives! I subscribed for the first time this year, so getting a 4CD installment for this was a pleasant surprise. I too am relatively unfamiliar with 1987 so this will be an edifying listen for me!

Both of those set lists look quite enticing, though night 1 a little more so. It’s quite incredible that the well is endless. There’s just always something more to check out.

PostPosted: Sun October 18, 2020 5:58 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Dozin’ at the Knick: Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY 3/24-3/26/1990

A compilation live album to start the 90s! Included in this set are some real killer performances - specifically a monstrous Watchtower, a really good Black Peter, the Lady With a Fan/Terrapin Station/Drums/Space that all rolled together quite amazingly. Hell in a Bucket was solid, Dupree’s Diamond Blues a nice addition. Never Trust a Woman was really on. When I Paint My Masterpiece was one of the better versions followed by a very good Row Jimmy where the first half felt very ballad like segueing into the second half that really pushed its reggae roots. Blow Away was probably the best I have heard Mydland yet. All in all, a really strong set.

“Set 1:” Hell in a Bucket, Dupree’s Diamond Blues, Just a Little Light, Walkin’ Blues, Jack-a-Roe, Never Trust a Woman, When I Paint My Masterpiece, Row Jimmy, Blow Away

“Set 2:” Playing in the Band > Uncle John’s Band, Lady With a Fan > Terrapin Station > Mud Love Buddy Jam > Drums > Space, Space > The Wheel > All Along the Watchtower > Stella Blue > Not Fade Away > And We Bid You Goodnight, Space > I Will Take You Home > Going Down the Road Feeling Bad > Black Peter, Around and Around, Brokedown Palace

PostPosted: Mon October 19, 2020 12:23 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

liebzz wrote:
Dozin’ at the Knick: Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY 3/24-3/26/1990

A compilation live album to start the 90s! Included in this set are some real killer performances - specifically a monstrous Watchtower, a really good Black Peter, the Lady With a Fan/Terrapin Station/Drums/Space that all rolled together quite amazingly. Hell in a Bucket was solid, Dupree’s Diamond Blues a nice addition. Never Trust a Woman was really on. When I Paint My Masterpiece was one of the better versions followed by a very good Row Jimmy where the first half felt very ballad like segueing into the second half that really pushed its reggae roots. Blow Away was probably the best I have heard Mydland yet. All in all, a really strong set.

“Set 1:” Hell in a Bucket, Dupree’s Diamond Blues, Just a Little Light, Walkin’ Blues, Jack-a-Roe, Never Trust a Woman, When I Paint My Masterpiece, Row Jimmy, Blow Away

“Set 2:” Playing in the Band > Uncle John’s Band, Lady With a Fan > Terrapin Station > Mud Love Buddy Jam > Drums > Space, Space > The Wheel > All Along the Watchtower > Stella Blue > Not Fade Away > And We Bid You Goodnight, Space > I Will Take You Home > Going Down the Road Feeling Bad > Black Peter, Around and Around, Brokedown Palace

I thought for a second I was at these shows , but then remembered I saw them at the Knickerbocker March 1991.

Also, one of my dead tickets is missing :( (worse, I don't know which one)

Also there were some extra hot early 90s shows featuring the songs: I fought the law, rain, and liberty :peace:

you'll see :D

PostPosted: Mon October 19, 2020 11:19 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I am excited for it- both in the sense that I am not feeling finished with them despite what I have counted so far (not sure it’s completely accurate) 12 albums, 53 shows, 10 compilation live albums, 18 JGB shows, 4 Jerry Garcia albums, 1 JGB album, 5 Bob Weir project albums, 3 JGAB shows, and 2 shows Jerry and John Kahn...since July 1st - but also in the sense that I am starting to get summit fever since the ride won’t last that much longer.

PostPosted: Tue October 20, 2020 2:10 am 
Future Drummer

I transferred these early bootleg LP's and they made it all the way to yootoob!

PostPosted: Tue October 20, 2020 4:38 am 
tl;dr

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:

This slams, thanks for sharing! Love that early, bluesy Dead!

PostPosted: Tue October 20, 2020 4:52 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I am going to try to watch that maybe today(?). In the meantime...

Without a Net

Another compilation live album, this one across the Fall/Winter/ Spring of 1989-90. I think they did a pretty decent job here of pulling some solid performances and putting them in one place while emulating a sense of a show. Frankly, it’s nice to occasionally get a break from these really extended Drums/Space jams that can take up a significant piece of the shows - though often among my favorite moments are the introductory chords and song selections coming out of those jams and into the remainder of the show. That digression aside, there are a couple of really essential moments for me here: Bird Song which had a great second half jam, Let It Grow, that epic Eyes of the World with Branford Marsalis, and the Help on the Way/Slipknot/ Franklin’s Tower.

Set “1”: Feel Like a Stranger, Mississippi Half-Stel Uptown Toodleloo, Walkin’ Blues, Althea, Cassidy, Bird Song, Let It Grow

Set “2”: China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Looks Like Rain, Eyes of the World, Victim or the Crime, Help on the Way/Slipknot! > Franklin’s Tower, One More Saturday Night, Dear Mr. Fantasy

PostPosted: Tue October 20, 2020 10:14 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
I am going to try to watch that maybe today(?). In the meantime...

Without a Net

Another compilation live album, this one across the Fall/Winter/ Spring of 1989-90. I think they did a pretty decent job here of pulling some solid performances and putting them in one place while emulating a sense of a show. Frankly, it’s nice to occasionally get a break from these really extended Drums/Space jams that can take up a significant piece of the shows - though often among my favorite moments are the introductory chords and song selections coming out of those jams and into the remainder of the show. That digression aside, there are a couple of really essential moments for me here: Bird Song which had a great second half jam, Let It Grow, that epic Eyes of the World with Branford Marsalis, and the Help on the Way/Slipknot/ Franklin’s Tower.

Set “1”: Feel Like a Stranger, Mississippi Half-Stel Uptown Toodleloo, Walkin’ Blues, Althea, Cassidy, Bird Song, Let It Grow

Set “2”: China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Looks Like Rain, Eyes of the World, Victim or the Crime, Help on the Way/Slipknot! > Franklin’s Tower, One More Saturday Night, Dear Mr. Fantasy

My favorite Althea of all time.

PostPosted: Wed October 21, 2020 12:15 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I think Jerry’s voice in this exact point in time was perfect for Althea. It was just worn enough to give songs like that character all its own.

PostPosted: Wed October 21, 2020 4:16 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Wake Up to Find Out - Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY 3/29/90

The Eyes of the World from Without a Net is from this show, so I knew going in this was going to be a special show. For the first (and not last) time, Branford Marsalis guests on saxophone, first on Bird Song in set 1, and then for the entirety of the second set. Regarding that first set, while is pales in comparison to the utter magic happening in set 2, it is still quite solid, with great renditions of Jack Straw, Bertha, We Can Run, Ramble on Rose, When I Paint My Masterpiece, and Promised Land. From what I can tell, everyone sounds great here and it’s typical in picking a solid selection to sort of plow through with much in the way of hiccups. The Bird Song with Marsalis is great, and his extended interplay with the band seems like a feeling out on what would be an epic second set.

That second set starts with Eyes of the World, which second time through has convinced me that it is my favorite version of that song...quickly followed by the string of Estimated Prophet (again maybe my favorite version), and a crazy Dark Star that a couple of time descends into chaos in a jazz fusion sort of way, but gets it back together again when needed. It is an incredible moment of the band stretching its capacities to orbit around Marsalis, and Jerry parroting then supporting Marsalis is great, but Phil Leah is absolutely killing it here with his soloing doubling as both support and as a lead around Marsalis. If Eyes and Prophet are an example of his seamless transition into the group, Dark Star is the band swallowing and melding his saxophone into a new and larger single unit of improvised creation - as if a new song is birthed from the signatures of Dark Star. Once they come out of that suite, it’s a solid pacing to the finish line, with really good versions of The Wheel, Throwing Stones, Turn on Your Lovelight and a gorgeous encore of Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door that Marsalis is just stunning on. It really is amazing to hear the transformation, a credit to Marsalis who occupies the space within the Grateful Dead’s signatures rather than just playing in top of them, which would have been expected based on the impromptu nature of this appearance - specifically the second set where his inclusion was apparently decided during the set break. This is a real classic.

Set 1: Jack Straw, Bertha, We Can Run, Ramble on Rose, When I Paint My Masterpiece, Bird Song, Promised Land

Set 2: Eyes of the World > Estimated Prophet > Dark Star > Drums > Space > Dark Star > The Wheel > Throwing Stones > Turn On Your Lovelight

Encore: Knockin on Heaven’s Door

PostPosted: Wed October 21, 2020 6:48 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kevin Davis wrote:
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:

This slams, thanks for sharing! Love that early, bluesy Dead!

This was really fantastic. It’s amazing to listen back every now and then and see how far they came in terms of their evolution in sound. This was more like Pigpen’s band in terms of leads, and they really moved more egalitarian quickly. I also love the bluesy yet transportive nature of this.

PostPosted: Thu October 22, 2020 1:45 pm 
Future Drummer

I used to have that record. One of my fav Baby Blues.

PostPosted: Thu October 22, 2020 3:53 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia Band - GarciaLive Vol. 10: Hilo Civic Auditorium, Hilo, HI 5/20/90

Switching it back up for a bit with a couple of JGB shows. This one finds them in Hawaii! Cool. Somewhere in the second set, pretty much Tore Up Over You, Tears of Rage (great cover), and Evangeline, they hit their best sweet spot for the night. They also deliver a very solid Deal and Run for the Roses in the first set. Knockin on Heaven’s Door is also really fun to hear in the JGB reggae version as a direct compare to that stunning version from the 3/29 Dead show I heard yesterday. They close with another fantastic and very fast paced Tangled Up in Blue that features Jerry going bonkers with that guitar jam. All in all, a very solid show, but perhaps not as show stopping as the last few full shows I have discussed.

Set 1: How Sweet It Is, They Love Each Other, Tough Mama, Like a Road Leading Home, Run for the Roses, The Way You Do the Things You Do, My Sisters and Brothers, Knockin on Heaven’s Door, Deal

Set 2: The Harder They Come, Forever Young, Stop That Train, Tore Up Over You, Tears of Rage, Evangeline, Waiting for a Miracle, That Lucky Old Sun, Tangled Up in Blue

PostPosted: Sat October 24, 2020 6:47 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia Band - GarciaLive Vol. 2 - Greek Theatre, Berkeley, CA 8/5/90

It’s funny that I wasn’t necessarily looking forward to this because I looked at the setlist and it’s basically the same thing as the last show I posted about. Not expecting much, I was happily surprised to see the band in good spirits and powering through a strong first set with many of the same highlights as the recent shows (great Deal, Tears of Rage, That’s What Love Will Make You Do, Run For the Roses, etc.). Set 2 features Bella Fleck on banjo for The Harder They Come which is remarkable- I mean he blows the place away playing an incredible amount of notes but still inside the framework of a reggae classic. It’s hard to explain but certainly nothing approaching anything I have heard before. Evangeline through the close of this show is spectacular with Think, That Lucky Old Sun and Tangled Up in Blue following which is at this point the exact wheelhouse of JGB. Big thumbs up.

Set 1: How Sweet It Is, Stop That Train, Forever Young, Run For the Roses, That’s What Love Will Make You Do, My Sisters and Brothers, Tears of Rage, Deal

Set 2: Midnight Moonlight, The Harder They Come, And It Stoned Me, Waiting for a Miracle, Evangeline, Think, That Lucky Old Sun, Tangled Up in Blue

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 42  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands