The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1890 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 95  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Tue September 29, 2020 5:46 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

oasisfan35 wrote:
liebzz wrote:
Yeah I saw those. I want the full shows without separately purchasing them and having them at the ready in a convenient manner.

Such a simple request ;)

I don't stream personally, I could set up my Synology to stream my personal collection but eh. Listening to the '12 Apollo show now, I think the Boss and Isbell camps might be the best at mixing live releases currently.

I get it, but the way I look at is this. Before Spotify, I bought an album in physical form only and maybe 5 or 6 a year based on what I really wanted. Let’s say I paid 1
$15 per release that’s like $75-90 a year. I pay $10 monthly for Spotify which is $120 a year (this makes perfect economic sense primarily because my access and use of music has expanded probably 10 fold as a result).

But since I pay more for music now than before, I have my pie in the sky wished while I am currently not willing to spend 100% more on music than I currently do.

PostPosted: Tue September 29, 2020 6:17 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
liebzz wrote:
Yeah I saw those. I want the full shows without separately purchasing them and having them at the ready in a convenient manner.

Such a simple request ;)

I don't stream personally, I could set up my Synology to stream my personal collection but eh. Listening to the '12 Apollo show now, I think the Boss and Isbell camps might be the best at mixing live releases currently.

I get it, but the way I look at is this. Before Spotify, I bought an album in physical form only and maybe 5 or 6 a year based on what I really wanted. Let’s say I paid 1
$15 per release that’s like $75-90 a year. I pay $10 monthly for Spotify which is $120 a year (this makes perfect economic sense primarily because my access and use of music has expanded probably 10 fold as a result).

But since I pay more for music now than before, I have my pie in the sky wished while I am currently not willing to spend 100% more on music than I currently do.

That wasn't a dig at streaming and certainly not you personally, I had been advocating for such models (for both audio and video media) since high school when higher than dial-up speeds were hitting residential areas; I just choose not to as a manner of listening.

PostPosted: Tue September 29, 2020 7:28 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Oh I didn’t take it that way. Mostly just explaining myself.

It is a shame too. I feel like much of the hardcore Springsteen audience connects as much with this archival stuff as the Grateful Dead, but the latter has been so much more open and willing to crash the vaults to satiate fan wishes. Springsteen sticking to nugs (and Pearl Jam for that matter too) limits the exposure for what makes them truly transcendent artists.

PostPosted: Tue September 29, 2020 7:49 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
Oh I didn’t take it that way. Mostly just explaining myself.

It is a shame too. I feel like much of the hardcore Springsteen audience connects as much with this archival stuff as the Grateful Dead, but the latter has been so much more open and willing to crash the vaults to satiate fan wishes. Springsteen sticking to nugs (and Pearl Jam for that matter too) limits the exposure for what makes them truly transcendent artists.

At least the effort in the releases is there, this is where the DMB camp excels at an astoundingly maddening level.

PostPosted: Tue September 29, 2020 10:33 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Hey I have all but one of the Boss boots so I can send a few your way. They are all available at some time in certain places.

PostPosted: Wed September 30, 2020 5:59 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Thanks! I really wanted to stream them mostly so I don’t have to use any unnecessary space but perhaps one day or I’ll just eventually bite the bullet and get nugs since the same can be said for Pearl Jam.

PostPosted: Fri October 16, 2020 7:59 am 
known prankster

The album's out there.

First listen, it's...ok. Bruce sounds good, the band sound good. It's probably the most E-Street-sounding record he's made since The River or Born In The USA.

I don't like the 3 songs from the 70s, but I've never been a fan of those outtakes anyway. Meanindering and plodding. If you liked them then, you'll probably like them now.

Highlights for me are Rainmaker (which sounds like it's from the 00s - definitely not a modern Bruce vocal) and Burnin' Train.

Last Man Standing > Power of Prayer > 1,000 Guitars is a snooze-fest, the songs literally sound exactly the same.

I'll give it a few more listens. I think Western Stars is a masterpiece; this isn't grabbing me like that album did.

PostPosted: Fri October 16, 2020 1:59 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

It’s out next week. For some reason I thought it was today. Looking forward to it. I love the twists and turns that the songs took in that Greetings/Wild era.

PostPosted: Fri October 16, 2020 9:26 pm 
Rank This Poster

Its not close to western stars, but its one of his better newer era albums

PostPosted: Fri October 16, 2020 9:38 pm 
The Master

Western Stars might be one of his top 3-5 best records ever. Thats a high bar i dont feel this new album needs to hit.

PostPosted: Fri October 16, 2020 9:40 pm 
Rank This Poster

Yeah its def top 5 for me

I didnt expect that, but what I meant was its pretty good

PostPosted: Fri October 16, 2020 10:01 pm 
The Master

How widely available is this leak?

PostPosted: Fri October 16, 2020 10:39 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Western Stars would be something like #7 or 8 for me. I don’t have any expectations good or bad for this one. From what I read I am probably going to like it in the vein of how I enjoy Magic, which also belongs in my Springsteen top 10 or so. That would be great.

PostPosted: Fri October 16, 2020 10:56 pm 
known prankster

Your view may vary but this isn't a patch on Magic. It's just too lightweight and middle of the road.

The only song that comes close is Rainmaker, which I think is a Magic outtake anyway.

PostPosted: Fri October 16, 2020 11:11 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Ghosts has a Magic like quality to it.

PostPosted: Sat October 17, 2020 3:11 am 
Future Drummer

I only got through this once but it kind of felt a bit cobbled together. I know he has been tinkering with mixed era material for a while now but I don't feel it really came together this time. Definitely need a few more listens regardless but that was really my first take-away... other than the fact that he sounds stunning for his age and career.

PostPosted: Sat October 17, 2020 4:22 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Bit of a snooze. Only 8 tracks in. The first 2 songs released were nice enough but I don't think I ever listened to them all the way through. Strangely, Janie was the one that stood out.

More listens will happen though.

PostPosted: Sun October 18, 2020 4:44 pm 
known prankster

Having spent a few days with this...it's a dud! Seems rushed and unfocussed. Maybe it will grow on me but this is currently Human Touch/Working On A Dream territory.

Oh well, they can't all be winners.

PostPosted: Sun October 18, 2020 7:23 pm 
The Master

Man your reviews are depressing me as i was so looking forward to this!

PostPosted: Sun October 18, 2020 7:58 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Yeah, though I will give it an honest listen - probably a few.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1890 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 95  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands