The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Wed September 23, 2020 5:56 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
super nintendo chalmers wrote:
I've been wanting to buy that LP for awhile now

I think worth it but I really love jumping into the various little projects and finding these gems...oftentimes more so than the band itself.

Half the fun.

Wait till you go back and get into Seastones lol

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Wed September 23, 2020 7:40 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia & John Kahn - PureJerry: Marin Veteran’s Memorial Auditorium, San Rafael, CA 2/26/86

Much like the review before, this another show on the same tour and is really very similar. Jack A Roe here was exceptional listening to Jerry really nail both the lead and rhythm simultaneously. Run for the Roses, Dire Wolf, Bird Song and Ripple were similarly highlights. I would hit up either but probably not both going forward since they are so similar, but they are both really great shows to switch things up.

Set 1: Deep Elem Blues, Little Sadie, Friend of the Devil, When I Paint My Masterpiece, Spike Driver Blues, Run for the Roses

Set 2: Dire Wolf, Jack A Roe, Oh Baby It Ain’t No Lie, Bird Song, Ripple, Goodnight Irene

PostPosted: Thu September 24, 2020 1:01 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

In the Dark

7 years since their last album, the Grateful Dead are back (really they didn’t go anywhere save for the 5 month break while Jerry recovered from the diabetic coma). This album seems like maybe the most divisive because it launched the Grateful Dead from a great classic band to a bona fide hitmaker. As such, it only makes some sort of sense to reject an album that made the shows essentially less accessible to the die hards and pushed the Dead into all very large venues. The album itself is mostly very good. Touch of Grey, even if it represents this shift, is a great song, as is Hell in a Bucket and When Push Comes to Shove. West LA Fadeaway has some real weird sound effects thrown in, it underneath that is another really good song. In the second half, Throwing Stones is a great template for a live song, and the closer Black Muddy River is another great slowed down Dead song. This is quite in line with the quality Dead studio albums.

PostPosted: Thu September 24, 2020 7:09 pm 
AnalLog

liebzz wrote:
In the Dark

7 years since their last album, the Grateful Dead are back (really they didn’t go anywhere save for the 5 month break while Jerry recovered from the diabetic coma). This album seems like maybe the most divisive because it launched the Grateful Dead from a great classic band to a bona fide hitmaker. As such, it only makes some sort of sense to reject an album that made the shows essentially less accessible to the die hards and pushed the Dead into all very large venues. The album itself is mostly very good. Touch of Grey, even if it represents this shift, is a great song, as is Hell in a Bucket and When Push Comes to Shove. West LA Fadeaway has some real weird sound effects thrown in, it underneath that is another really good song. In the second half, Throwing Stones is a great template for a live song, and the closer Black Muddy River is another great slowed down Dead song. This is quite in line with the quality Dead studio albums.

I can listen to this studio album more often than most of their others. I really enjoy it each time.

PostPosted: Thu September 24, 2020 9:33 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I mean it is probably middle to low end of the pack - but so far I haven’t heard a studio album I hate with only one more to go.

PostPosted: Thu September 24, 2020 9:39 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia Band - Electric on the Eel (part 1) - Piercy, CA 8/29/87

Electric on the Eel is a 6 disc mega set of 3 shows, and I will cover them all, but broken up to generally fit the chronology. This first show is really fantastic. Forever Young is a great cover, Get Out of My Life Woman, Run for the Roses, And It Stoned Me, and Deal were all real solid first set highlights.

Set 2 was a monster. They Harder They Come and I Shall Be Releases were awesome, but then it is followed by a mind blowing Think and Let It Rock. Tangled Up in Blue closes this out in amazing fashion. This band was just on all night.

Set 1: How Sweet It Is (to Be Loved By You), Forever Young, Get Out of My Life Woman, Run for the Roses, And It Stones Me, My Sisters and Brothers, Deal

Set 2: The Harder They Come, I Shall Be Released, Think, Evangeline, Gomorrah, Let It Rock, They Lucky Old Sun, Tangled Up in Blue

PostPosted: Sat September 26, 2020 10:35 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

A lot of bouncing around and listened to two things in the last two days that I will post one after another.

Bob Dylan & the Grateful Dead - Sullivan Stadium, Foxborough, MA 7/4/87

As it goes for this tour, I listened through the first set (close to 2 hours) from the Grateful Dead followed by the second set Dylan & the Dead. I was confident this would be the diamond in the minefield since everyone seems to pan this tour. I can say from this show it wasn’t the Grateful Dead’s fault. They seemed on point all night and even has some sort of extra something in their tank - maybe it was from knowing that they were backing the second set with the first their own. In either event, everything in the first set was awesome, though it seemed to take Jerry’s voice a bit to get going during Touch of Grey. The rest was just one great song after another and I was particularly enthusiastic about the live version of West LA Fadeaway. Tons of Steel was way better than I expected, and they were really on Little Red Rooster. The Other One seemed to also have even more psychedelic feel than usual, followed by a favorite in Wharf Rat.

Set 2 with Dylan was indeed a mixed bag. As his fans note, this was his Cookie Monster phase, but I felt like as the set went on his voice kept getting stronger, resulting in what I thought was a good set.

Set 1 (Grateful Dead): Touch of Grey, Hell in a Bucket, West LA Fadeaway, Tons of Steel, Little Red Rooster, Box of Rain, Althea, Uncle John’s Band > Playing in the Band > Drums > Space > Truckin’ > The Other One > Wharf Rat > Throwing Stones

Set 2 (Dylan & the Dead): The Times They Are A-Changing, Man of Peace, I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight, John Brown, I Want You, Ballad of a Thin Man, Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again, Queen Jane Approximately, Chimes of Freedom, Slow Train, Joey, Knockin on Heaven’s Door

PostPosted: Sat September 26, 2020 11:26 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band & Jerry Garcia Band - On Broadway: Act One, 10/28/87

I have been waiting for a chance to hear some of this band. They really had a ton of great moments here, though listening straight through, the two sets (early and late show), some of it got monotonous. The big highlights in each set were Deep Elem Blues, I’m Troubled, Blue Yodel #9, If I Lose, Ragged But Right, and Ballad of Casey Jones. They were all on their game and had I listened one set at a time per sitting I would have loved it even more.

The JGB set was really fantastic here as well. They pretty much nailed everything they played and closing out with Tangled Up in Blue was really exceptional.

Early show: Deep Elem Blues, I’m Troubled, Soike Driver Blues, Blue Yodel #9, Short Life of Trouble, If I Lose, I’m Here to Get My Baby Out of Jail, Oh Babe It Ain’t No Lie, Drifting Too Far From the Shore, Ragged But Right

Late Show, Set 1 (JGAB): I’ve Been All Around This World, Ballad of Casey Jones, Blue Yodel #9, I’m Troubled, Rosa Lee McFall, Diamond Joe, I Ain’t Never, It’s a Long Way to the Top of the World, Bright Morning Stars, Ragged But Right

Set 2 (JGB): How Sweet It Is (to be Loved by You), Forever Young, Stop That Train, Run for the Roses, Evangeline, Knockin On Heaven’s Door, Gomorrah, Tangled Up in Blue

Encore: My Sisters and Brothers

PostPosted: Wed September 30, 2020 10:07 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Madison Square Garden, New York, NY 9/18/87

Taken from numerous online recommendations as a show to check out, I have been working on this one today. This was a real killer show from them even if a bit on the short side - at least the first set. That however does not detract from the sheer energy and epic performances throughout. Sugaree, a sick Walkin Blues, Candyman, When I Pain My Masterpiece all really solid, but the show hits another level of amazing with first set closer Bird Song.

In set 2, it’s just bonkers performances one over another. Best Shakedown Street yet, a really good Man Smart, and then we roll right into maybe my favorite run of anything so far, at least straight through (this at least belongs on the list of runs that I really loved in this journey) all the way to the end, most highlighted by a Morning Dew for the ages. That Good Lovin’/ La Bamba combo was also just so much fun to follow and the night capped with an epic Knockin on Heaven’s Door. Really great show top to bottom!

Set 1: Hell in a Bucket, Sugaree, Walkin Blues, Candyman, When I Paint My Masterpiece, Bird Song

Set 2: Shakedown Street, Man Smart (Woman Smarter), Terrapin Staion > Drums > Jam > Goin’ Down the Road Feeling Bad > All Along the Watchtower > Morning Dew > Good Lovin’ > La Bamba > Good Lovin’

Encore: Knocking on Heaven’s Door

PostPosted: Thu October 01, 2020 1:15 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:

Taken from numerous online recommendations as a show to check out, I have been working on this one today. This was a real killer show from them even if a bit on the short side - at least the first set. That however does not detract from the sheer energy and epic performances throughout. Sugaree, a sick Walkin Blues, Candyman, When I Pain My Masterpiece all really solid, but the show hits another level of amazing with first set closer Bird Song.

In set 2, it’s just bonkers performances one over another. Best Shakedown Street yet, a really good Man Smart, and then we roll right into maybe my favorite run of anything so far, at least straight through (this at least belongs on the list of runs that I really loved in this journey) all the way to the end, most highlighted by a Morning Dew for the ages. That Good Lovin’/ La Bamba combo was also just so much fun to follow and the night capped with an epic Knockin on Heaven’s Door. Really great show top to bottom!

Set 1: Hell in a Bucket, Sugaree, Walkin Blues, Candyman, When I Paint My Masterpiece, Bird Song

Set 2: Shakedown Street, Man Smart (Woman Smarter), Terrapin Staion > Drums > Jam > Goin’ Down the Road Feeling Bad > All Along the Watchtower > Morning Dew > Good Lovin’ > La Bamba > Good Lovin’

Top 5 show for me, easily.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Thu October 01, 2020 2:15 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Yeah, it was pretty amazing.

PostPosted: Thu October 01, 2020 3:37 pm 
Rank This Poster

Is that one officially released??

PostPosted: Thu October 01, 2020 5:32 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

No, I had to look it up on archive.org

PostPosted: Thu October 01, 2020 7:34 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band & Jerry Garcia Band - PureJerry: Lunt-Fontaine Theatre, New York, NY 10/31/87 (matinee)

The first of two shows on the same day- one matinee and one evening - all released in this one set. In this first show, Jerry seems to really be in a good place and all the songs have a lot of energy and are strong throughout. The first set with the acoustic band features really good versions of I’ve Been All Around This World, Blue Yodel #9, Ripple, and Goodnight Irene. The second set with his regular band is the stronger set for me again, with an epic Deat Prudence, Run for the Roses, and I Shall Be Released in there. When I Paint My Masterpiece is also quite good here.

Set 1 (JGAB): I’ve Been All Around This World, I’m Troubled, Short Life of Trouble, Blue Yodel #9, Spike Driver Blues, Troubled in Mind, The Girl at the Crossroads Bar, Bright Morning Star, Ripple, Goodnight Irene

Set 2 (JGB): How Sweet It Is, They Love Each Other, When I Paint My Masterpiece, Dear Prudence, Run For the Roses, I Shall Be Released, My Sisters and Brothers, Midnight Moonlight

Encore: Crazy Love

PostPosted: Thu October 01, 2020 10:47 pm 
tl;dr

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
liebzz wrote:

Top 5 show for me, easily.

New Dave's announced today, 3/26-27/87. Apparently Lemieux's first shows.

I have no '87 in my collection so I am looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Thu October 01, 2020 11:44 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Put em on Spotify and I will do a whole separate journey of Dave’s Picks...

PostPosted: Thu October 01, 2020 11:53 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band & Jerry Garcia Band - Lunt-Fontaine Theatre, New York, NY 10/31/87 (evening show)

Part 2 of this release - and it is better of the two shows. I do think maybe the first set was better in the first show based upon my general ability to keep attention on it. I did like the Swing Low Sweet Chariot opener, always Deep Elem Blues, and Blue Yodel #9. Also Ragged But Right is always real solid.

Set 2 with the Jerry Garcia Band is pure awesome though. Starting it off with Werewolves of London was really fun. But Cats Under the Stars was great, and the reggae vibe of the trio of Stop That Train, The Harder They Come, and the reggae-fied Knockin on Heaven’s Door is just awesome. A tremendously good Deal follows to close out the set before a quick encore or My Sisters and Brothers. Really excellent second set!

Set 1 (JGAB): Swing Low Sweet Chariot, Deep Elem Blues, Blue Yodel #9, Ballad of Casey Jones, Two Soldiers, Diamond Joe, Gone Home, Oh Babe It Ain’t No Lie, If I Lose, Ragged But Right

Set 2 (JGB): Werewolves of London, Cats Under the Stars, Stop That Train, Let It Rock, Gomorrah, The Harder They Come, Knockin on Heaven’s Door, Deal

Encore: My Sisters and Brothers

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2020 1:27 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band - Almost Acoustic

This is a live album with JGAB that features highlight of shows from Nov. - Dec. of 1987. Having left his residency at Lunt-Fontaine in NYC and gone to the other coast, he and the band are in great form, and the release sounds spectacular. All the usuals are there from Deep Elem Blues, Blue Yodel #9, I’ve Been All Around This World, I’m Troubled, Diamond Joe, and Oh Babe It Ain’t No Lie. My favorites on this release are I’m Here to Get My Baby Out of Jail, and maybe my favorite live version of Ripple, which is just the perfect end to this live compilation. I would say if you were going to try only one release from the acoustic band, this would be the one to hit up.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2020 10:35 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Download Series Vol. 5: Hampton Coliseum, Hampton, VA 3/27/88

After a few shows with Jerry’s different solo band iterations, it’s nice to get back to some Dead shows. It starts with an entry right into ‘88 with this show from Hampton, VA. This is one helluva show for those not familiar. The set list is perfect, and the band was in a good place on this night, really jumping around, engaging too notch covers (even Miles Davis briefly!), and plowing through a near perfect second set. I want to talk about the highlights, but really this one front to back is so good. I mean, Ballad of a Thin Man, Cumberland Blues, Stagger Lee, and the suite of constant hits on set 2...hot damn!

Set 1: Iko Iko, Little Red Rooster, Stagger Lee, Ballad of a Thin Man, Cumberland Blues > Me & My Uncle, To Lay Me Down, Let It Grow

Set 2: Space > So What > Sugar Magnolia > Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain > Estimated Prophet > Eyes of the World > Drums > Space > Going Down the Road Feeling Bad > I Need a Miracle > Dear Mr. Fantasy > Sugar Magnolia

Encore: US Blues

PostPosted: Sat October 03, 2020 4:22 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Download Series Vol. 9 - Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA 4/2/89 (Part 1)

This release is of the complete two-night stand in Pittsburgh. I am splitting it into the two shows. The one thing I will say that is a little frustrating is that for both shows they jammed the encore into the first half to time the discs (even though it is the download series - go figure). In any event, night 1 is quite solid, with the kick off of the show particularly good with Iko Iko, Little Red Rooster, Dire Wolf (very good version), and It’s All Over Now. Other highlights of the first set are a rough but workable cover of Queen Jane Approximately, a strong Tennessee Jed, and a really good Brown Eyed Woman.

Set 2 is again a strong blast of fun and energy. Shakedown Street is one of those songs that improves so greatly in the live setting. One of the best Drums/Space versions yet, which transitions into an awesome string to close out the show in The Wheel, Dear Mr. Fantasy, Hey Jude, Around and Around, Going Down the Road..., and Turn on Your Love Light (fun though it doesn’t match those Pigpen versions). Another Dylan cover in It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue closes out the show in the encore.

Set 1: Iko Iko, Little Red Rooster, Dire Wolf, It’s All Over Now, We Can Run, Brown Eyed Women, Queen Jane Approximately, Tennessee Jed, The Music Never Stopped

Shakedown Street, Man Smart (Woman Smarter), Foolish Heart > Drums > Space > The Wheel > Dear Mr. Fantasy > Hey Jude > Around and Around > Going Down the Road Feeling Bad > Turn on Your Lovelight

Encore: It’s All Over Now Baby Blue

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 42  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands