The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329 ... 555  Next

Vote Before You Can Vote!
Donald Trump (R) 44%  44%  [ 59 ]
Joe Biden (D) 41%  41%  [ 55 ]
Jacob Hornberger (L) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Howie Hawkins (G) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Other 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
COVID-19 12%  12%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 133
 Post subject: Re: Election 2020
PostPosted: Mon September 14, 2020 5:28 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I think my father still has his Buchanan '96 sign.

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2020 12:13 am 
Gone

One thing I was thinking about on the way home today was that signs in a big election year are something we all expect, but in 2020 and beyond when everything is a political circle jerk people are just going to have shit in their yards all year long every year.

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2020 1:00 am 
Mind Your Tanners

verb_to_trust wrote:
One thing I was thinking about on the way home today was that signs in a big election year are something we all expect, but in 2020 and beyond when everything is a political circle jerk people are just going to have shit in their yards all year long every year.

Yes, my neighbor has a very old Susan Collins sign up year round and their Lepage sign hasn't come down since he left the governor's mansion.

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2020 2:18 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

McParadigm wrote:
Higgs wrote:
B wrote:
Higgs wrote:
Do you think that the signage actually sways voters though? I can see some people going with "majority rules" when seeing a ton of blue or red signs about the place.

I can't imagine it makes a difference in the Presidential election, but I'm certain people vote locally for people "they've heard of," and the reason they've heard of the candidate is because they read their name on 500 signs around town. I may have even been guilty of such intellectual laziness.

I'm actually fully talking about generic "Trump" and "Biden" signs. I understand local candidate signage. At the end of the day those guys are the only ones who could actually do something that genuinely affected you personally.

Presidential yard signs aren’t meant to sway undecideds, they’re meant to motivate other supporters in your community. To say “you’re not alone, and we can do this.” There’s plenty of research out there demonstrating that while yard signs for big elections don’t change minds, the presence of such community facing props in an area correlates to a greater share of a candidate’s supporters showing up on Election Day.

It could be that yard signs are just more likely to appear in communities where the candidate’s supporters are more motivated in general, and they’ve got this whole thing backwards. But growing up in South Dakota, seeing the occasional Democrat candidate sign was reassuring, because I didn’t really have any other evidence that anybody around me felt the way I did. And in such a divisive election, I think it’s good for people in this country to be reminded that the “enemy“ they face is often the nice couple right next-door.

I understand this idea of signage motivating the masses, and that makes some kind of sense I guess. What does really scare me in the US at the moment however is that I worry that people are beginning to take the "enemy next door" thing literally. How far away from actual suburban bloodshed are we here?

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2020 2:40 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Before anyone asks - over in the forgotten colonies, we tend to yell at each other over the fence for a bit, call the other person's partner a slut or something similar......usually turns into a brief round of fisty cuffs, then once exhausted and junk we realise that despite having some differing views that they're actually a decent cunt, and then the next weekend we're both in the back yard having a Tooheys shooting the shit

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2020 2:52 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Rangi Guy wrote:
Before anyone asks - over in the forgotten colonies, we tend to yell at each other over the fence for a bit, call the other person's partner a slut or something similar......usually turns into a brief round of fisty cuffs, then once exhausted and junk we realise that despite having some differing views that they're actually a decent cunt, and then the next weekend we're both in the back yard having a Tooheys shooting the shit

Is the US the only Anglophone country that frowns on the "C" word? Canadians certainly can't enough of it. I think Jamaica uses an alternate term for similar effect.

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2020 2:54 am 
Gone

Higgs wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Higgs wrote:
B wrote:
Higgs wrote:
Do you think that the signage actually sways voters though? I can see some people going with "majority rules" when seeing a ton of blue or red signs about the place.

I can't imagine it makes a difference in the Presidential election, but I'm certain people vote locally for people "they've heard of," and the reason they've heard of the candidate is because they read their name on 500 signs around town. I may have even been guilty of such intellectual laziness.

I'm actually fully talking about generic "Trump" and "Biden" signs. I understand local candidate signage. At the end of the day those guys are the only ones who could actually do something that genuinely affected you personally.

Presidential yard signs aren’t meant to sway undecideds, they’re meant to motivate other supporters in your community. To say “you’re not alone, and we can do this.” There’s plenty of research out there demonstrating that while yard signs for big elections don’t change minds, the presence of such community facing props in an area correlates to a greater share of a candidate’s supporters showing up on Election Day.

It could be that yard signs are just more likely to appear in communities where the candidate’s supporters are more motivated in general, and they’ve got this whole thing backwards. But growing up in South Dakota, seeing the occasional Democrat candidate sign was reassuring, because I didn’t really have any other evidence that anybody around me felt the way I did. And in such a divisive election, I think it’s good for people in this country to be reminded that the “enemy“ they face is often the nice couple right next-door.

I understand this idea of signage motivating the masses, and that makes some kind of sense I guess. What does really scare me in the US at the moment however is that I worry that people are beginning to take the "enemy next door" thing literally. How far away from actual suburban bloodshed are we here?

Pretty far. The closest you'll get to suburban bloodshed is Karen talking shit on facebook.

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2020 3:49 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Hope you're right verb.

And I know you're right Rangi.

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2020 4:01 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I saw a lot of thin Blue line flags in rural California. I get that this symbol is relatively new, but what does it mean? A level of patriotism beyond a normal flag? Backing the Blue (counter to defund the police)? Does it proclaim I am for law and order but not willing to fly a Trump flag/ post a sign? I can't imagine these people are frequently beset by meth heads trying to rip out their vines, and they have a bobcat or backhoe to quickly bury a body if needed.

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2020 10:46 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Higgs wrote:
Hope you're right verb.

And I know you're right Rangi.

A couple reasons to believe:

- Contrary to what you might have heard, violence in the US is heavily concentrated in just a few postal codes. There was a study in 2019 that narrowed it down the city block level. The issue is that crime is prevalent where media is created (LA, NYC, etc.) so perception is distorted

- the suburbs have “something to lose” so conflict avoidance is high

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2020 2:18 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
There was a study in 2019 that narrowed it down the city block level.

Why would violence trends in 2019 be predictive of election-related violence?

Quote:
The issue is that crime is prevalent where media is created (LA, NYC, etc.) so perception is distorted

States with the most violent crime per capita: Alaska, New Mexico, Tennessee, Arkansas, Nevada.

Most news media is based out of highly populated areas, sure. So even though New York City had 333 violent crimes per 100,000 people in 2019, and South Dakota had a measurably higher 405 violent crimes per 100,000 people in 2019, New York City has a higher volume of crimes because it has ten times the volume of people living there.

Quote:
the suburbs have “something to lose” so conflict avoidance is high

People in cities famously have nothing to lose.

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2020 2:25 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Higgs wrote:

I don’t have much opinion on suburbs, other than that when I lived in them and my neighbors wanted to engage a political cause or get mad-slash-march about something, they drove into the city to do it. Who’s gonna see you in the burbs, except your neighbors?

I am very pessimistic about our chances of getting through this election without violence and loss of life, though.

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2020 2:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

i live in the suburbs, and i'm just worried about what trump says and how biden is going to destroy them. i'm not so much worried about my neighbors setting fires and shooting in between sets of platform tennis and trips to whole foods.

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2020 3:17 pm 
Gone

People aren't going to get mowed down in the streets on November 4. A lot of people seem excited by the idea but I don't think it will come to pass.

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2020 5:24 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2020 7:08 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Republicans have talked more about Senate minority party protections in the past few days than in the last 2 years combined. In case you wonder what their internal polling looks like.

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2020 7:16 pm 
Gone

Chris_H_2 wrote:
i live in the suburbs, and i'm just worried about what trump says and how biden is going to destroy them. i'm not so much worried about my neighbors setting fires and shooting in between sets of platform tennis and trips to whole foods.

You should really try buying into the doomer narrative. It's super helpful and based on predictive retweets.

PostPosted: Wed September 16, 2020 6:18 am 
Gone

PostPosted: Wed September 16, 2020 10:21 am 
10Club Complaint Department

macphisto wrote:

Haha, holy shit.

PostPosted: Wed September 16, 2020 11:52 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Birds in Hell wrote:
macphisto wrote:

Haha, holy shit.

No way he played NWA. Lol.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329 ... 555  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate