The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 4:00 pm 
The worst

liebzz wrote:
I'll buy this in large part because it will have Pearl Jam's name on it and because I'll be interested to hear some familiar tunes in new surroundings. I would hang my head in shame at this, but I went ahead and bought Rearviewmirror despite it having nothing new as well. So I'm used to someone taking $15 out of my pocket without saying thank you.

RVM had 4 songs with noticeable remixes (once, alive, black, and solat), and a minor change on who you are. The remixes for once, black, and especially alive are now the definitive versions for me. So I can't complain.

I prefer the singles SOLAT

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 4:11 pm 
Future Drummer

stip wrote:
liebzz wrote:
I'll buy this in large part because it will have Pearl Jam's name on it and because I'll be interested to hear some familiar tunes in new surroundings. I would hang my head in shame at this, but I went ahead and bought Rearviewmirror despite it having nothing new as well. So I'm used to someone taking $15 out of my pocket without saying thank you.

RVM had 4 songs with noticeable remixes (once, alive, black, and solat), and a minor change on who you are. The remixes for once, black, and especially alive are now the definitive versions for me. So I can't complain.

I prefer the singles SOLAT

Are these the same mixes for Once/Alive/Black later included on the Ten re-issue? If not, which one do you prefer?

PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 4:25 pm 
The worst

they're not. So three mixes for each. I prefer the RVM ones, to be honest. I think BoB used his best ideas for those songs for the greatest hits. That remix of alive turned it from a pearl jam song I liked a lot to my favorite song of all time Just the right little pushes...

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 4:29 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
they're not. So three mixes for each. I prefer the RVM ones, to be honest. I think BoB used his best ideas for those songs for the greatest hits. That remix of alive turned it from a pearl jam song I liked a lot to my favorite song of all time Just the right little pushes...

Did you put all these versions in your all versions of all songs thread?

PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 4:33 pm 
The worst

I'm kinda hoping other people do the work in that thread. Next time I have a few hours to kill I'll fill in gaps

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 5:19 pm 
AnalLog

I never bought any sort of "greatest hits" from any performer, including RVM. Never.

PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 8:35 pm 
tl;dr

Lounge Lizard wrote:
I never bought any sort of "greatest hits" from any performer, including RVM. Never.

You should buy "Portrait of a Legend" by Sam Cooke. Let it usher you in to the magical world that is the compilation record.

PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 8:37 pm 
Commissioner

Kevin Davis wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:

You should buy "Portrait of a Legend" by Sam Cooke. Let it usher you in to the magical world that is the compilation record.

Or

PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 8:48 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

As someone who appreciates the art of a well-paced tracklist, I'm quite looking forward to seeing how they've presented the band's catalogue for this release. Good news.

:nice:

PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 8:49 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Kevin Davis wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:

Oh god yes

PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 8:52 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

They could potentially work with Sony on this and put a bunch of rarities on a bonus disc. For example, if the leaked s/t outtakes were being compiled for inclusion at the time of leak (Pearl Jam certainly owns the complete rights and masters to those songs), and their relationship with Sony was something other than hatred (as it should be), they could theoretically do like Bruce did.

PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 9:01 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

McParadigm wrote:
They could potentially work with Sony on this and put a bunch of rarities on a bonus disc. For example, if the leaked s/t outtakes were being compiled for inclusion at the time of leak (Pearl Jam certainly owns the complete rights and masters to those songs), and their relationship with Sony was something other than hatred (as it should be), they could theoretically do like Bruce did.

Maybe those songs leaked while Pearl Jam was sharing them with Sony for review. That's not so dissimilar to how Better Days leaked.

PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 9:05 pm 
tl;dr

Wasn't there some comment at some point affiliated with those leaks about how "something special" was being prepared?

PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 9:21 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Kevin Davis wrote:
Wasn't there some comment at some point affiliated with those leaks about how "something special" was being prepared?

PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 9:23 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Dylan Moran :nice:

PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 9:26 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Black Books was fucking great.

PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 9:27 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Kevin Davis wrote:
And this is how deception begins...

PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 9:31 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

harmless wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Few characters have felt more like a piece of my very soul made flesh than Bernard Black. Probably the last one to get close was Gaius Baltar Kaylee Frye Petyr Baelish boy this is not going well

PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 9:33 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
harmless wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Few characters have felt more like a piece of my very soul made flesh than Bernard Black. Probably the last one to get close was Gaius Baltar Kaylee Frye Petyr Baelish boy this is not going well

I love the episode where they make wine. I love Bill Bailey too.

PostPosted: Tue September 17, 2013 5:21 am 
Broken Tamborine

I’m curious to know how this compilation has got off the ground. Presumably it was instigated by somebody at Sony who thought it was a good idea but then how did they approach the band and what is the band’s rationale for agreeing to this?

Back at the time of their first signing/record and again when they reached the end of their contract with Sony, both the band and label were pretty open about the original deal only requiring one Greatest Hits style album. They’ve fulfilled that obligation and Sony has no remaining right, based on the original contract to produce another one. They are allowed to suggest it though, and obviously the Bands braintrust (cough cough) must think it’s a good idea.

Not a big deal and maybe I should hold out hope that the band is doing this as a service to all types of fans by also supplying some rarities with this release, but I wont be holding my breath. Just seems like more milking of the already flogged horse.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam