The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 183  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random Pearl Jam References
PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 7:09 pm 
Production Police

McParadigm wrote:
Of all the Tom Waits albums, he most loves Nighthawks?

His Talking Heads and Fugazi picks are wrong too

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 9:53 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

And The Who

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 10:07 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

tragabigzanda wrote:
Respect for the Jim O’Rourke pick, Ed.

I remember a story about Ed calling Jim in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 to check he was OK.

I believe SY's old Murray Street studio was pretty close to the towers.

I guess they stayed in touch after SY toured with Pearl Jam in 2000, at least for a while.

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 10:12 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah SY studio was close and Jim was a member at the time. Before Thruston GF broke everything of course (he was Jim´s girl before).
Ed was super into him around 2000. He talked about his catalogue and Gastr Del Sol a lot.

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 10:17 pm 
Production Police

He did an interview with Jeneane garofolo around that time where he gave some love to Shellac too. I bet Jim turned him on to a bunch of Chicago bands while they were on your.

PostPosted: Tue August 18, 2020 3:06 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
He did an interview with Jeneane garofolo around that time where he gave some love to Shellac too. I bet Jim turned him on to a bunch of Chicago bands while they were on your.

I somehow remember this issue of Spin magazine.

PostPosted: Tue August 18, 2020 3:08 am 
Production Police

McParadigm wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I somehow remember this issue of Spin magazine.

Even more interesting was that he talked about iPods before anyone else knew what they were. I think he said he saw a prototype from an industry exec?

PostPosted: Tue August 18, 2020 1:21 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

tragabigzanda wrote:

but that was 1998 or 1996 right?

PostPosted: Tue August 18, 2020 1:42 pm 
Production Police

VinylGuy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

but that was 1998 or 1996 right?

Definitely not 96. I thought it was during Binaural but it could have been 98.

PostPosted: Tue August 18, 2020 2:42 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Turns out it’s CMJ and 1998 (I thought 2000 as well), so I guess I don’t remember it as well as I thought.

PostPosted: Tue August 18, 2020 2:51 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The essence of the interview, though, is exactly as I remember: a mostly tiring direct transcription of a bar conversation.

Quote:
[Tape stops]

JG: I still think that your perception of New York is going to fall apart, by the millennium. But I'm a landowner, so I can't take it as lightly as others might. Because it's a money sinkhole. It's a sinkhole. And, as a character actor, which I am, who knows? How long can I work? What can I do? And I plan on having children. What am I going to do? I need to have enough money.

EV: Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins...

JG: Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins have a flow, an unbelievable flow.

EV: They have to work as hard as...

JG: I think you're confusing Janeane Garofalo with Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins, which is a very disparate...

EV: I see talented people who work hard and put them in the same group.

JG: The financial stories of Robbins and Sarandon and Garofalo are so disparate. Basically, my nest egg was squandered on my New York apartment. And I thought, "Okay, I'll just squander it and start from scratch."

EV: You're going to keep working. I mean, I'm sure you're getting paid a lot for this. [Laughs]

JG: Yeah, this interview. As I'm totally misfeeding my dog. It's horrible...giving him chips. But you never know. I've been given an unsolicited vacation thus far. I haven't worked since the beginning of November.

EV: [Laughing] Unsolicited...

JG: It's a vacation I didn't ask for. You never know when your next move.... But this is not really why we're here. We don't really need to talk about my movie career.

[Tape stops]

Quote:
EV: Oh, speaking of bar codes. Well, that's a subtle convenience but it's going to get more to where we're not going to know what joy is. We're not going to know anything simple. We're not going to be able to experience... We might not be able to experience love. This is what I'm predicting. You know, give me 50 years. Things are moving so fast, I guarantee I'll be right. It's going to be strange. I just wish everyone would slow down. This is why I think radio is great. Because it still lends imagination to the experience. There' s no visual involved and hopefully no commercial interference as far as play lists for college radio. I don't know if this happens--it's just an analogy--a playlist approved by the dean or someone in a power situation. I think that that's a simple pleasure that I hope continues to last. Record stores might not survive this. Oh, they won't. Fifteen years, record stores? The tactile experience? Gone. It's going to be convenient and I imagine the compromises, they're going to be vacuous. You won't have the same experience.

JG: What?

EV: Vacuous. Meaningless. Empty. You'll be able to acquire music so quick, it won't mean anything to you. You know, it'll just be another thing that you punch up and you don't even own it. You just order it for five minutes. You'll order a song for five minutes and it'll cost you 50 cents or something. This is in the very near future. You won't have to buy records anymore. You're going to be able to download records onto CD without any artwork. Probably listening to poor-sounding computer speakers. Things are happening fast...

PostPosted: Tue August 18, 2020 8:55 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

McParadigm wrote:
JG: What?

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue August 18, 2020 8:59 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, i remember the photos of that. Cool interview.

PostPosted: Wed August 19, 2020 1:22 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

yeah i remember that interview. whenever janeane was away from the tape recorder eddie kept saying into it how he wanted to eat her ass.

PostPosted: Wed August 19, 2020 1:22 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I seem to recall around this time PJ were planning to release 'Last Kiss' as a download-only but the record execs shit their pants at the precedent and instead said 'release it as a CD and we'll donate all the money to Kosovo'

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed August 19, 2020 8:58 pm 
Champion of RM

96583UP wrote:
I seem to recall around this time PJ were planning to release 'Last Kiss' as a download-only but the record execs shit their pants at the precedent and instead said 'release it as a CD and we'll donate all the money to Kosovo'

Lol. Download wasn't a thing yet.

PostPosted: Wed August 19, 2020 10:25 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

mp3’s were a thing in 1998

not widespread like today

but they were a thing

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed August 19, 2020 10:29 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

for example

https://www.fivehorizons.com/songs/feb97/index.shtml

as much as we bash PJ for 10C sucking PJ is often at the forefront of certain things (Binaural recording, Dolby Atmos)

they were tinkering with doing an all-download Last Kiss which would have been a first for a single release if i recall but the record execs flipped out bc they saw the trend that was coming and wanted to try and stop it

PostPosted: Wed August 19, 2020 10:35 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

this was after the song had already been released as an annual vinyl

after it got airplay and became popular they released it to the public

Ed’s comment in that interview is prob just before / around that same time

PostPosted: Wed August 26, 2020 2:59 am 
Stone's Bitch

Not sure if anyone has referenced this yet but Ed was on Lily Cornell Silver's Instagram show about mental health the other day. For my money, it's the clearest look at him as a real guy that I've ever seen. He's not nearly as measured or guarded as he seemingly always is. Good shit.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/10-things-we-learned-from-lily-cornell-silvers-interview-eddie-vedder-1049157/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 183  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam