The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299 ... 555  Next

Vote Before You Can Vote!
Donald Trump (R) 44%  44%  [ 59 ]
Joe Biden (D) 41%  41%  [ 55 ]
Jacob Hornberger (L) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Howie Hawkins (G) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Other 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
COVID-19 12%  12%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 133
 Post subject: Re: Election 2020
PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 10:41 am 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:
Mickey wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
As of now, I think there are a lot of right-leaning voters who would identify as “blue curious,” and they’ll go all in if the Dems can help them keep their homes for a few more months.

I'm assuming you mean at the state level, right? At the national level I don't think they can do anything.

At some point it'll be in the landlord/ bank interest as well. If there's no one to replace the current tenant, having a vacancy does them no benefit. Alternatively, having a tenant violate their lease/ mortgage for multiple months might make legal action more difficult in the future, without some overriding state action.

Gotta incentivize no evictions from both directions.

Or just avoid it all together by passing a bill months ago that put money in people's pockets.

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 12:16 pm 
Rank This Poster

elliseamos wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Mickey wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
As of now, I think there are a lot of right-leaning voters who would identify as “blue curious,” and they’ll go all in if the Dems can help them keep their homes for a few more months.

I'm assuming you mean at the state level, right? At the national level I don't think they can do anything.

At some point it'll be in the landlord/ bank interest as well. If there's no one to replace the current tenant, having a vacancy does them no benefit. Alternatively, having a tenant violate their lease/ mortgage for multiple months might make legal action more difficult in the future, without some overriding state action.

Or just avoid it all together by passing a bill months ago that put money in people's pockets.

Andrew Yang be like..... :wave:

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 1:35 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Electromatic wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Mickey wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Andrew Yang be like..... :wave:
yes, but I was merely referring to governing in response to covid.

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 3:18 pm 
AnalLog

Superblood Wolfmoon wrote:
Why on earth would he pick Susan Rice? I can't imagine the collective Benghaziboner the GOP would have with that pick. He may as well pick Hillary.

Republicans Salivate Over Possibility Joe Biden Might Pick Susan Rice For Vice President

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 3:28 pm 
Future Drummer

Why on earth would he pick Susan Rice? I can't imagine the collective Benghaziboner the GOP would have with that pick. He may as well pick Hillary.

Republicans Salivate Over Possibility Joe Biden Might Pick Susan Rice For Vice President

The 3 republicans quoted in this article are Lindsay Graham, Tom Cotton & Rand Paul. I don't see how Harris, Bass or Warren would fare any better with these people.

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 6:18 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Here are some thoughts on Trump's morning tweet about November:

axios wrote:
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.): “Never in the history of the country, through wars, depressions, and the Civil War have we ever not had a federally scheduled election on time, and we’ll find a way to do that again this Nov. 3 ... We’ll cope with whatever the situation is and have the election on Nov. 3 as already scheduled.”

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.): “Never in the history of federal elections have we ever not held an election and we should go forward with our election.”

Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.): “If we were to delay the election past Jan. 20, the president would be the speaker of the House. So I wonder if anyone’s thought about that. I’m just going to go check the Constitution to make sure I didn’t misread it."

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa): “It doesn’t matter what an individual in this country says, we still are a country based on the rule of law, we must follow the law until either the Constitution is changed or until the law is changed.”

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.): "I don't think that's a particularly good idea."

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.): “He can suggest whatever he wants. The law is what it is. We’re going to have an election that’s legitimate, it’s going to be credible, it’s going to be the same as we’ve always done it.”

Sen. Thom Tillis (R-NC): "The election is not going to be delayed in spite of the fact that several states delayed the election but we got to make sure that we have the resources and we don't have the debacle that we're seeing in say, the state of New York. The election is going to happen in November, period."

Rep. Rodney Davis (R-Ill.): "There will be no delay in the #2020Election. Congress sets the election date, and it should not be changed. It will be held on November 3rd, as planned and required by law."

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah): "So I'm a fan of voting by mail. Secondly, of course we are going to have an election on time. It's unthinkable that that would not be the case.”

Sen. Kevin Gramer (R-N.D.): “I think that if you guys take the bait he'll be the happiest guy in town. I read it. I laughed I thought my gosh this is going to consume a lot of people, except real people. And it was clever.” Cramer told CNN's Manu Raju that he does not support a delay.
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX): “Election fraud is a serious problem we need to stop it and fight it, but no the election should not be delayed.”

Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.): "No, we are not going to delay the election. ... We're going to have the election completed and voting completed by Election Day."

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 6:32 pm 
The Master

Taken individually, I wouldn't think any of those comments were worth the pixels they take up on my screen.

But together, this looks like a coordinated effort by the GOP members of Congress to begin distancing themselves from the leader who is going to drag them all down in November.

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 6:43 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Taken individually, I wouldn't think any of those comments were worth the pixels they take up on my screen.

But together, this looks like a coordinated effort by the GOP members of Congress to begin distancing themselves from the leader who is going to drag them all down in November.

Lol. Yea im not convinced. In 4 years they haven't shown this ability of theirs.

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 7:28 pm 
Broken Tamborine

If the election is compromised in the eyes of enough Americans (right or left or both) it is going to be absolute mayhem in the streets.
I don't see the GOP allowing things to become unglued.
They're going to keep this asshole in check to keep elections legitimate without publicly calling him an asshole.

Accolades are not in order, but lately the Republicans have been pushing back against Trump on some issues such as Black Lives Matter fueled issues and Trump's pet projects in the latest Coronavirus stimulus package.

It could get out of hand but I think that's flirting with doomsday talk right now.

I completely agree if Trump keeps talking up election fraud, politicians and media will need to swiftly and aggressively denounce it. Or it could get out of hand.
To me it seems like he is still just putting out feelers on this to gauge his audience's reaction.

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 7:39 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

What happens if we don't even finish counting votes before innaguration day?

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 7:48 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:
What happens if we don't even finish counting votes before innaguration day?

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 8:42 pm 
Major Dude

Quote:
Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.): “If we were to delay the election past Jan. 20, the president would be the speaker of the House. So I wonder if anyone’s thought about that. I’m just going to go check the Constitution to make sure I didn’t misread it."

I've been saying it for months, Lamar!

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 9:18 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Idk. The 12th Amendment says it’d be Mike Pence.

“and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice. And if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President.”
The 20th Amendment changed the date to January 20th.

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 10:15 pm 
Major Dude

4/5 wrote:

“and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice. And if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President.”

But there is no vice-president because his term ends when the president's term ends.

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 10:37 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

All this while Biden currently enjoys a 8-12 point lead in the polls. My hope is that even should the race tighten, anything resembling a 5 point win or more for Biden - I don’t think even Republicans not named McConnell can justify sending Trump back. I think a truly contested election, especially should Biden win the popular vote and the battleground state votes, would quite literally be the end.

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 10:48 pm 
See you in another life, brother

wease wrote:
4/5 wrote:

But there is no vice-president because his term ends when the president's term ends.

Well the Senate chooses the Vice President in this case. Sorry I was posting from the gym, should have included the next sentence from the 12th Amendment.
12th Amendment wrote:
The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed, and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two-thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice. But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

The vice president would then be acting president. Again, more ambiguity as to whether (s)he should be treated as being vested with the complete and ordinary powers of the president or should be a mere caretaker of the office.

PostPosted: Fri July 31, 2020 2:30 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

there will be a coup d'etat if he tries to delay the election

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 2:10 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I am thinking of making a spin-off thread where we try to predict the day the election is actually decided. Any objections?

PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 3:08 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I'll allow it

PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 3:16 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299 ... 555  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate