The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Release

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sam The Astronaut - Midnight Carlight (the second album)
PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 2:54 pm 
Future Drummer

A live version of Midnight Carlight from October 2019. I think they wanted to show they have the chops live and that the scream solo is for real. What I know of the scream solo (studio version) is that they used one of two takes in its entirety.

For the record in the video below, no overdubs or auto-tuning. It has been mixed and that's it. They use backing tracks for now and cannot wait until the economics allow for a full backing band.

Last edited by surfndestroy on Thu June 25, 2020 1:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed June 10, 2020 2:55 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Alexa knows midnight car light by Sam the astronaut :D

PostPosted: Wed June 24, 2020 11:52 pm 
Future Drummer

I am excited for the next ten days or so. Lots of good music and more coming. There’s a slow roll of momentum happening, that for a numbers junkier like me is fun to follow.

The first single wasn’t designed to make much impact. More a hello, we’ve matured and can’t wait for you to hear the rest. Plus, it is a damn cool song and sets up Garrison, the singer to showcase how special he is.

Next up is a fun dance song and a simmering ballad. The ballad has a just out of this world vocal delivery. There’s a stretch from the 90 second mark to about two and a half minutes in that is so pure that my bet is it is, quite honestly the best vocal delivery you’ll hear all year. Not in the Whitney Houston vocal gymnastics kind of way but pure and emotive. In a ‘here’s my heart, please love me’ kind of way. A hundred listens later it can still give me goosebumps.

PostPosted: Thu June 25, 2020 2:30 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

This stuff should be on the radio. I'm always impressed. Just sayin' . Everybody should hear these those this. Pink Floyd meets your kids dance

PostPosted: Sat July 04, 2020 2:32 am 
Future Drummer

PostPosted: Mon July 13, 2020 9:36 pm 
Future Drummer

My kid shared some of the messages he gets about his music. All I can say is that to anyone who reaches out to a small indie band appreciating music, you are heroes in a way.

These are weird times for any bands, more so small bands. Messages are their applause when they can't play live. If you like a band, especially an indie band, reach out and say so. They take it to heart. And please share the music, you are their promotional budget.

PostPosted: Sat July 18, 2020 11:57 pm 
Future Drummer

Great stripped down version. 100% live.

PostPosted: Wed July 29, 2020 11:04 pm 
Future Drummer

Friday, the future changes. Monster Squad gets released. Or rather the future changes at the 14 second mark. That’s the moment. The lead track from the coming album. Infectious doesn’t begin to describe.
Everything released to date was to get us here. I believe this song is going to kick the doors open. Crazy thing is far as songs go, it doesn’t make in my top five on the album.
The video To support it is an homage. It’s pretty cool.
Yeah, I am as high as a kite but just enjoying this moment in time.

PostPosted: Wed July 29, 2020 11:09 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

surfndestroy wrote:
Friday, the future changes. Monster Squad gets released. Or rather the future changes at the 14 second mark. That’s the moment. The lead track from the coming album. Infectious doesn’t begin to describe.
Everything released to date was to get us here. I believe this song is going to kick the doors open. Crazy thing is far as songs go, it doesn’t make in my top five on the album.

What is the best way to purchase this thing?

PostPosted: Wed July 29, 2020 11:26 pm 
Future Drummer

knee tunes wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:

iTunes or Bandcamp. They are more than happy for people to stream for free. All they really want is if you like it, share it.

What I love best about Monster Squad, it most sounds like my kid. Eyes focused on a happy as feck future. A future you wiggle your butt to.

I have such a super strange relationship with this album. Literally, it is my kid’s dream. He believes there is more in the future but this is his statement. If the ends, he is okay because this has been released.

As a parent, that is sick as fuck. But I believe in the music too. The lyrics are honest and have a time in life depth that isn’t always apparent, but I know the story to every song. All I can say is there is unexpected depth.

Monster Squad on July 31, MDMA on August 21, and the album on August 28. It will honestly be in my top 5 for the year. Not number one, barring a seismic shift in the universe that belongs to Fiona Apple.

Last edited by surfndestroy on Wed July 29, 2020 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed July 29, 2020 11:28 pm 
Future Drummer

Double post. I did say I was as high as a kite.

Last edited by surfndestroy on Wed July 29, 2020 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed July 29, 2020 11:29 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

surfndestroy wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:

iTunes or Bandcamp. They are more than happy for people to stream for free. All they really want is if you like it, share it.

What I love best about Monster Squad, it most sounds like my kid. Eyes focused on a happy as feck future. A future you wiggle your butt to.

I have such a super strange relationship with this album. Literally, it is my kid’s dream. He believes there is more in the future but this is his statement. If the ends, he is okay because this has been released.

As a parent, that is sick as fuck. But I believe in the music too. The lyrics are honest and have a time in life depth that isn’t always apparent, but I know the story to every song. All I can say is there is unexpected death.

Monster Squad on July 31, MDMA on August 21, and the album on August 28. It will honestly be in my top 5 for the year. Not number one, barring a seismic shift in the universe that belongs to Fiona Apple.

You're dating Fiona Apple?

PostPosted: Wed July 29, 2020 11:39 pm 
Future Drummer

knee tunes wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:

As a parent, that is sick as fuck. But I believe in the music too. The lyrics are honest and have a time in life depth that isn’t always apparent, but I know the story to every song. All I can say is there is unexpected death.

You're dating Fiona Apple?

No but the Fiona I am dating is the apple of my eye.

A tease, https://www.instagram.com/p/CDPuR26hUda/?igshid=beenrydj6wnw

PostPosted: Thu August 13, 2020 10:15 pm 
Future Drummer

Nice little video of Monster Squad.

PostPosted: Fri August 21, 2020 4:30 pm 
Future Drummer

Next single, 'High For You' is out today. A snappy little shake your ass to kind of song. Album is out next Friday.

I think this Instagram post, https://www.instagram.com/p/CEFYzkPhous/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet highlights a lot of what my son does. Takes a simple acoustic guitar song and builds it out.

As of August 25th the song was #112 on iTunes New Zealand. I think that's pretty cool. First time they've placed in an iTunes chart I think.

PostPosted: Thu August 27, 2020 2:03 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

surfndestroy wrote:
Next single, 'High For You' is out today. A snappy little shake your ass to kind of song. Album is out next Friday.

I think this Instagram post, https://www.instagram.com/p/CEFYzkPhous/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet highlights a lot of what my son does. Takes a simple acoustic guitar song and builds it out.

As of August 25th the song was #112 on iTunes New Zealand. I think that's pretty cool. First time they've placed in an iTunes chart I think.

G T F O

I mean it's not surprising because I know they're good. But still ...good does not often equal success. That is crazy.

I'm excited about the album release. I want to buy a few CDs. For myself and for gifts :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri August 28, 2020 2:54 pm 
Future Drummer

Midnight Carlight is finally out. I am so happy and couldn't be more proud of and happy for my son and Garrison. Over three years in the making. In fact, when they played their album release show for their first album in March 2017 they played more songs from the unreleased Midnight Carlight than their debut album Girls of Summer.

It's off to a good start, the album is currently at #115 in Canada on iTunes. There is a video for every song on the album on YouTube. Here's three of my favorites....

Originally called Jukebox.

They've been playing this one live for over three years. At every show it quickly became a sing along song. It was originally named Freckles & Zest after the girl the song was written about, hence the slice of orange in the video to add some zest. I wonder if the robot has freckles.

This is possibly the last song written for the album. It has quickly become a very popular sing along live as well. To every label and management team that turned them down, to everyone who wasn't supportive of two kids chasing a dream....

PostPosted: Fri August 28, 2020 3:22 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I like it. Just the synth is really nice.

PostPosted: Fri August 28, 2020 10:04 pm 
Future Drummer

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I like it. Just the synth is really nice.

I will pass that on, thanks.

I obviously love this review out of Lima, Peru. No idea how he ran across the band. https://allnighterentertainment.com/sam-the-astronaut-presenta-su-album-midnight-carlight/

SAM THE ASTRONAUT PRESENTS THEIR ALBUM MIDNIGHT CARLIGHT

Sam The Astronaut,the Canadian duo consisting of Garrison Johnson and TJ Gibson,has finally released their album Midnight Carlight.

This record production consisting of 11 songs, leads us on an adventure full of electronic landscapes, both warm and fresh.

Here you'll find totally timeless audio tracks, ranging from pop rock to electropop, both crystal clear and lo-fi at times.

Notoriously noteworthy "Foxy" (my favorite), "Monster Squad (Love So Crazy)", "High For You" and the one that gives the album its name, which had previously been offered as advance singles, but there are also pleasant surprises like "Surfer Rosa" or "Gimme Your Love".

The truth is that Midnight Carlight is one of the best albums presented in this month of August, which has been loaded with very good music.

Here you have the preview of the album to start a spectacular weekend.

https://open.spotify.com/album/21Lb9rG1ADk5QsISXgp09G?si=rdLf34UsTK2y1TzNqNG3Xg

PostPosted: Sat August 29, 2020 4:41 pm 
Future Drummer

The album is currently #16 on iTunes in New Zealand. It won't last long bt still nice to see.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Release