The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Black Lives Matter
PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 10:12 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

simple schoolboy wrote:
How much of this is due to the great migration?

3%

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 3:30 pm 
Major Dude

simple schoolboy wrote:
wease wrote:
So in the last couple of weeks, I've been filling in for some of my company's other locations. All of these that I've been to is a more urban area than where my "home" clinic is. Due to that, I've actually seen more patients that are black than I normally do in my clinic. In every case that I've had a black patient, they were exceptionally polite and adding "sir" and "ma'am" after every sentence. Now, I very, very rarely get such respect (probably not the right word) from any of our white patients. Even the nicest of the white patients come across as familiar and informal. And I started wondering if the reason the black patients were so respectful was because they were brought up to be that way towards white people (men, in particular) as a preemptive defense. Now sure, raising your kids to be respectful to everyone else is a goal we should all have but I couldn't help but feel a little guilty because as an older than them white man, maybe they instinctively responded as they were taught to in an effort to possibly survive other situations.

I don't know. I don't think I explained it very well, but it just felt wrong to me. Not that their politeness wasn't genuine, but that it was, perhaps, borne of other things.

How much of this is due to the great migration? This speech pattern is consistent with Southern manners, and this is almost certainly the way their grandparents spoke.

What region are your clinics in?

Middle TN

But WHY did their grandparents speak that way? Was it because if they didn’t say “sir” to a passing white man on the sidewalk, they were entitled to be beaten?

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 6:13 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

wease wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
wease wrote:
So in the last couple of weeks, I've been filling in for some of my company's other locations. All of these that I've been to is a more urban area than where my "home" clinic is. Due to that, I've actually seen more patients that are black than I normally do in my clinic. In every case that I've had a black patient, they were exceptionally polite and adding "sir" and "ma'am" after every sentence. Now, I very, very rarely get such respect (probably not the right word) from any of our white patients. Even the nicest of the white patients come across as familiar and informal. And I started wondering if the reason the black patients were so respectful was because they were brought up to be that way towards white people (men, in particular) as a preemptive defense. Now sure, raising your kids to be respectful to everyone else is a goal we should all have but I couldn't help but feel a little guilty because as an older than them white man, maybe they instinctively responded as they were taught to in an effort to possibly survive other situations.

I don't know. I don't think I explained it very well, but it just felt wrong to me. Not that their politeness wasn't genuine, but that it was, perhaps, borne of other things.

How much of this is due to the great migration? This speech pattern is consistent with Southern manners, and this is almost certainly the way their grandparents spoke.

Middle TN

But WHY did their grandparents speak that way? Was it because if they didn’t say “sir” to a passing white man on the sidewalk, they were entitled to be beaten?

Maybe its as dark as you suppose.

Did Tennesee have much migration in the 30s and 40s for the TVA? If your demographics didn't change much it would suggest my hypothesis is incorrect.

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 6:18 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Maybe migration isn't as significant as imperfect code switching between AAVE and 'standard' American English?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_Vernacular_English

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 10:06 pm 
Major Dude

simple schoolboy wrote:
wease wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
wease wrote:

Middle TN

Maybe its as dark as you suppose.

Did Tennesee have much migration in the 30s and 40s for the TVA? If your demographics didn't change much it would suggest my hypothesis is incorrect.

I’m not sure. Most of the experiences I’m familiar with has everyone going north to Detroit, Chicago and Indiana back then. I do know that, as a carpenter, my great-grandfather helped build Oak Ridge but the family moved to the same place when they came back.

PostPosted: Tue July 28, 2020 2:11 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i know what you are talking about Wease

even some of the Blacks from lower income areas in the NE will refer to a white person as 'Mr.' or 'Mrs.' '[first name]'

i think this is at least partially a product of having to be graceful as a survival strategy in a society that has forcefully looked to exclude them for any reason whenever possible

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed July 29, 2020 7:35 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

:lol: Two Republicans posted pictures of themselves with Elijah Cummings when memorializing John Lews.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/18/us/m ... lewis.html

I'm sure it was just a stupid staff person running the social media accounts, but it's still funny. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed July 29, 2020 9:05 pm 
Major Dude

That's twice for that dolt Rubio.

PostPosted: Wed July 29, 2020 9:28 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:

Did he do the reverse when Cummings died?

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 1:18 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

just so much this
Spoiler: show
:facepalm:

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 1:31 am 
Major Dude

B wrote:
wease wrote:

Did he do the reverse when Cummings died?

No. He’s posted twice “remembering” Lewis with pictures of Cummings.

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 3:32 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 3:52 pm 
Major Dude

And THAT's how Donald Trump was elected.

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 4:49 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

wease wrote:
And THAT's how Donald Trump was elected.
76% in that county

PostPosted: Fri July 31, 2020 2:53 am 
Production Police

PostPosted: Fri July 31, 2020 2:58 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

lol

that was fun

loved that movie

PostPosted: Fri July 31, 2020 2:59 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

oh snap:

https://collider.com/macgruber-2-update-tv-show-details-will-forte/

Quote:
“Right now we are finishing the last scripts of an eight-episode series of MacGruber, which fingers crossed will be shot in the fall. We don’t officially know that we’re greenlit yet, but we’re very excited about the stuff we’ve written so far, and so far we’re going ahead as if it’s still going on. But who knows, with the current situation in the world, who knows if it gets pushed back. And everything could always just go kaput as per MacGruber, but it’s something we’re hoping to do and moving towards.”

PostPosted: Fri July 31, 2020 3:04 am 
Production Police

Yes I am very excited for this too

PostPosted: Fri July 31, 2020 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri July 31, 2020 2:46 pm 
Production Police

Lol every time I see BLM, my mind defaults to the bureau too. Must be an ID thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 48  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate