The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 601, 602, 603, 604, 605, 606, 607 ... 729  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 12:30 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Simple Torture wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Lol no Pittsburgh for the Jays

It's still not too late to just not do this, MLB

No big deal... they still have almost 6 days to figure it out!

Someone on Twitter posted "Hobo Bichette" under a story about this and it made me lol

kudos to you for not just presenting that joke as your own, but instead crediting the someone on a Twitter. You, sir, are no foe intellectual

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 12:35 pm 
The Master

i haven't followed that situation at all, but is there a particular entity to blame for this being so last minute? was it the mlb's decision alone to not allow home games in toronto?

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 12:50 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
i haven't followed that situation at all, but is there a particular entity to blame for this being so last minute? was it the mlb's decision alone to not allow home games in toronto?

No it was the Canadian government that said no home games. They don't want people coming up from the infected US

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 12:56 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

No it was the Canadian government that said no home games. They don't want people coming up from the infected US

gotcha...sucks for the blue jays, assuming this was a pretty last minute decision

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 2:19 pm 
Rank This Poster

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

If they don’t allow fans and the players are bubbled what difference does it make other than optics?

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 2:25 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

america's hat is giving us the finger and its well deserved...

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 2:26 pm 
The Master

I like to think of Canada as our attic.

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 2:26 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

No bubble is perfect. Airports, buses, people who work at all the stadiums, all their families, border officials they'd interact with, all risk factors that Canada is smart enough to know isn't worth it to allow the Jays to play in an empty stadium

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 2:45 pm 
Rank This Poster

The Argonaut wrote:
No bubble is perfect. Airports, buses, people who work at all the stadiums, all their families, border officials they'd interact with, all risk factors that Canada is smart enough to know isn't worth it to allow the Jays to play in an empty stadium

The EPL has been playing for a month now. MLS is playing in freaking COVID Chernobyl Florida with no problems so far.

MLB has administered 18000 tests with 23 positives. That includes both players and staff.

https://www.mlb.com/news/covid-19-test- ... -announced

MLB is testing staff as well so I’m pretty sure that extends to most support personnel in stadiums.

It’s fine if that’s their take, they have a right to do that, maybe the Jays just don’t play the season.

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 5:47 pm 
Rank This Poster

Electromatic wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

The EPL has been playing for a month now. MLS is playing in freaking COVID Chernobyl Florida with no problems so far.

MLB has administered 18000 tests with 23 positives. That includes both players and staff.

MLB is testing staff as well so I’m pretty sure that extends to most support personnel in stadiums.

It’s fine if that’s their take, they have a right to do that, maybe the Jays just don’t play the season.

The total number of positives (as of a week ago) is 93, so roughly three per team. And that's with teams all completely isolating within their bubbles for this little summer spring training thing. They haven't even started travelling around the country yet.

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 5:48 pm 
Rank This Poster

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 6:07 pm 
Rank This Poster

philpritchard wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

The total number of positives (as of a week ago) is 93, so roughly three per team. And that's with teams all completely isolating within their bubbles for this little summer spring training thing. They haven't even started travelling around the country yet.

Sorry, I grabbed the wrong part of the article, that's right. 93 of more than 21000 tests.

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 6:08 pm 
Rank This Poster

philpritchard wrote:

Might as well come play in Atlanta then, we have the dumbest stadium name ever to boot.

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 7:47 pm 
Rank This Poster

Electromatic wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

Sorry, I grabbed the wrong part of the article, that's right. 93 of more than 21000 tests.

The number of tests doesn't really matter as much as the number of people being tested.

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 7:56 pm 
Rank This Poster

The Juan Soto situation is a great example of why playing is stupid and why Canada not allowing the Jays to play in Toronto was the right call: he recieved the positive result two full days after being tested. He even played in a game between the test and the result. Who knows how many other players he was in contact with.

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 8:06 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

philpritchard wrote:
The Juan Soto situation is a great example of why playing is stupid and why Canada not allowing the Jays to play in Toronto was the right call: he recieved the positive result two full days after being tested. He even played in a game between the test and the result. Who knows how many other players he was in contact with.

i'm sure we're about to find out

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 8:07 pm 
Poster of the Year

For my fantasy league we've set the cutoff date for our season to count at September 11th. If MLB cancels before then everyone gets their money back and it'll be like this season never counted for us. What do you guys think are the chances that we make it to that day?

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 8:17 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

cutuphalfdead wrote:
For my fantasy league we've set the cutoff date for our season to count at September 11th. If MLB cancels before then everyone gets their money back and it'll be like this season never counted for us. What do you guys think are the chances that we make it to that day?

my friend and i were just talking the other about whether they cancel the mlb season first or send our kids back home from school after their false re-start. we put the over/under on the friday after labor day for both (which happens to be 9/11).

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 8:32 pm 
Rank This Poster

I think they'll make it there because they're just going to power through no matter what at this point.

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 9:42 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

philpritchard wrote:
I think they'll make it there because they're just going to power through no matter what at this point.

I think that's really clear. They have had some stars test positive, and they just keep chugging along.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 601, 602, 603, 604, 605, 606, 607 ... 729  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports