The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 256  Next
 Post subject: Re: What the F's for Lunch?
PostPosted: Tue July 21, 2020 4:34 pm 
Major Dude

Kung Pao chicken.

Wease likes his chicken spicy!

PostPosted: Tue July 21, 2020 5:58 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Hard-boiled eggs and tomato

PostPosted: Tue July 21, 2020 6:04 pm 
Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:
Hard-boiled eggs and tomato

you just sold me on egg salad for lunch

PostPosted: Tue July 21, 2020 6:35 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
Jorge wrote:
I am so happy with the steak I just made. A beautifully marbled bife ancho (I think it's similar to the US "prime rib") marinated overnight in toum, salt, and pepper, and then cooked on a cast iron. I am kind of a klutz when it comes to doneness so I was very proud of getting it to the perfect spot. Very nice sear too

Nice.

I know sous vide is real hip these days but for my money nothing beats steak in a cast iron skillet. Glad it turned out well for you.

you know you can do both at the same time joe, don't you?

PostPosted: Tue July 21, 2020 7:20 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

turkey sandwich

PostPosted: Tue July 21, 2020 7:22 pm 
Production Police

Chris_H_2 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Jorge wrote:
I am so happy with the steak I just made. A beautifully marbled bife ancho (I think it's similar to the US "prime rib") marinated overnight in toum, salt, and pepper, and then cooked on a cast iron. I am kind of a klutz when it comes to doneness so I was very proud of getting it to the perfect spot. Very nice sear too

Nice.

I know sous vide is real hip these days but for my money nothing beats steak in a cast iron skillet. Glad it turned out well for you.

that's what my former employer would do with both steak and chicken: sous vide for 2-3 days at a very low temp, then just sear in cast iron when a customer ordered it

PostPosted: Tue July 21, 2020 7:57 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Jorge wrote:

Nice.

that's what my former employer would do with both steak and chicken: sous vide for 2-3 days at a very low temp, then just sear in cast iron when a customer ordered it

i love a steak grilled over a searing-hot bed of coals. but it's almost impossible to get the entire steak to 125 (or prevent the carry over cooking from bringing it up to 130, which to me is WAY too well done). For me, if you're spending good money on steak, I want to make sure it's done perfectly. The sous vide is the perfect way to cook it; it's so low maintenance (bring water up to 125, put a salted steak in a bag, put bag in water for a couple of hours, take bag out) and you can never, ever overcook it (unless you put in the wrong temperature).

when my steak is almost done in the sous vide, i put my cast-iron skillet in the oven and pre-heat it to 500 degrees. when the steak is out of the water bath and has rested for 10 minutes, i put some oil in the cast-iron skillet, put it over high heat on the stove top, pat the steak down (hot oil and water do not like each other), put some pepper on the steak, and then sear each side for 2 minutes. so the steak comes out perfect: 125 on the inside, and a nice char crust on the outside.

PostPosted: Tue July 21, 2020 8:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Chris_H_2 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Jorge wrote:

Nice.

But why? The skillet is perfect. There's no need to do more.

PostPosted: Tue July 21, 2020 8:54 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Jorge wrote:

Nice.

But why? The skillet is perfect. There's no need to do more.

PostPosted: Tue July 21, 2020 8:55 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I have no idea what that post means, Chris.

PostPosted: Tue July 21, 2020 9:02 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
I have no idea what that post means, Chris.

Chris_H_2 wrote:
i love a steak grilled over a searing-hot bed of coals. but it's almost impossible to get the entire steak to 125 (or prevent the carry over cooking from bringing it up to 130, which to me is WAY too well done). For me, if you're spending good money on steak, I want to make sure it's done perfectly. The sous vide is the perfect way to cook it; it's so low maintenance (bring water up to 125, put a salted steak in a bag, put bag in water for a couple of hours, take bag out) and you can never, ever overcook it (unless you put in the wrong temperature).

when my steak is almost done in the sous vide, i put my cast-iron skillet in the oven and pre-heat it to 500 degrees. when the steak is out of the water bath and has rested for 10 minutes, i put some oil in the cast-iron skillet, put it over high heat on the stove top, pat the steak down (hot oil and water do not like each other), put some pepper on the steak, and then sear each side for 2 minutes. so the steak comes out perfect: 125 on the inside, and a nice char crust on the outside.

the point is, whether it's grilled, broiled, seared, etc., you can never guarantee the perfect temp. you can with sous vide. and there's no hard work or clean up involved.

PostPosted: Tue July 21, 2020 9:04 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I can guarantee the temp just fine. Basically, we make the best steaks I've ever had using only the skillet. So imagine doing what you're talking about without having to soak your meat for two days before you do it.

Just seems pointless to me. But if you can't cook it properly in the skillet, then do what you need to do. I know the bath is super popular right now. People must like it for a reason.

PostPosted: Tue July 21, 2020 9:04 pm 
The Master

burrito bowl

PostPosted: Tue July 21, 2020 9:05 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
I can guarantee the temp just fine. Basically, we make the best steaks I've ever had using only the skillet. So imagine doing what you're talking about without having to soak your meat for two days before you do it.

Just seems pointless to me. But if you can't cook it properly in the skillet, then do what you need to do. I know the bath is super popular right now. People must like it for a reason.

it's not 2 days. it's 90 minutes.

PostPosted: Tue July 21, 2020 9:07 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Chris_H_2 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

it's not 2 days. it's 90 minutes.

Okay, point still stands. Save yourself the 90 mins and the $70 bucks. *shrugs*

Or don't. Whatever works for you, man. As long as you get the thing the way you want it, that's all that matters.

PostPosted: Wed July 22, 2020 7:14 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tuna melts on home made sourdough

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 5:52 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

meatball sandwich from a local joint

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 11:22 pm 
The Master

dickeys

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 11:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
dickeys

large okra?

PostPosted: Thu July 23, 2020 11:46 pm 
The Master

doug rr wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
dickeys

large okra?

regular sized, but it's a large portion...today's deal of the day was pulled pork and jalapeno cheddar kielbasa, two sides, and a drink...they were out of the jalapano cheddar so i had the regular kielbasa...still very good though, and the sweet tea was ON POINT

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 256  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining