The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3821 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 192  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Fri July 17, 2020 4:55 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Fri July 17, 2020 4:56 pm 
Rank This Poster

Much obliged.

PostPosted: Fri July 17, 2020 5:06 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

4/5 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Good news, I'm pretty sure GH would get rid of the filibuster. So whenever he checks back in we should get a pretty good argument for the other side. :thumbsup:
As a matter of personal ideology, I suppose I shouldn't mind the filibuster since it helps to prevent a party from implementing too much of its agenda. But the Constitution already has a hefty number of separations of power (three branches of government, plus a bicameral legislature) and it's daunting enough to get the quadfecta on all of them. Adding in another veto point through extraconstitutional matters is just overkill.

I also think that once a party has at least 50 senators that are united on a considerable agenda, the filibuster will be gone. It could have happened in 2017 but the GOP couldn't get their caucus united. It could very well happen in 2021 if the Dems storm to victory in the Senate and they aren't dependent on Joe Manchin being the median vote.

By that logic shouldn't it have happened in 2010 when Scott Brown denied the Democrats their 60th senator in the middle of attempting to pass the ACA?

I think an argument can be made that the filibuster sticks around not just to protect the minority party but because it can provide a convenient excuse for the majority party when they aren't united enough to get stuff done: just blame the filibuster.

All the more reason to get rid of it.

PostPosted: Fri July 17, 2020 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

4/5 wrote:
By that logic shouldn't it have happened in 2010 when Scott Brown denied the Democrats their 60th senator in the middle of attempting to pass the ACA?
Just like Republicans in 2017, Dems weren't united enough to make it happen in 2010.

4/5 wrote:
I think an argument can be made that the filibuster sticks around not just to protect the minority party but because it can provide a convenient excuse for the majority party when they aren't united enough to get stuff done: just blame the filibuster.
This I completely agree with if they can't get 50 consistent votes for a broad agenda.

PostPosted: Fri July 17, 2020 6:00 pm 
See you in another life, brother

durdencommatyler wrote:
4/5 wrote:

All the more reason to get rid of it.

Perhaps. I'm just suggesting that it has a role for both the majority and minority party at any given time, which suggest it'll stick around. On the other hand, it's getting easier to imagine one party being willing to blow it all up if doing so would facilitate passage of a legislative program they deem important enough.

PostPosted: Fri July 17, 2020 8:39 pm 
Rank This Poster

I think all those reasons to avoid abolishing the filibuster are correct; it replaces morass for wild swings back and forth. But it's still probably the least worst option, particularly for Democrats, who are going to continue to bear the brunt of the negative effects of a Senate that is increasingly unrepresentative of the country. I think there's only shitty options here, and it may be the least shitty.

PostPosted: Fri July 17, 2020 8:48 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

is she dead yet?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri July 17, 2020 10:12 pm 

digster wrote:
I think all those reasons to avoid abolishing the filibuster are correct; it replaces morass for wild swings back and forth. But it's still probably the least worst option, particularly for Democrats, who are going to continue to bear the brunt of the negative effects of a Senate that is increasingly unrepresentative of the country. I think there's only shitty options here, and it may be the least shitty.

I think an argument can be made that the filibuster is the best protection Democrats have against entitlement programs getting decimated.

PostPosted: Fri July 17, 2020 10:51 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

4/5 wrote:
digster wrote:

I think an argument can be made that the filibuster is the best protection Democrats have against entitlement programs getting decimated.

Instead they're simply being slowly chipped away at without the possibility of any replacement, because of the filibuster.

PostPosted: Sat July 18, 2020 6:53 pm 

Mickey wrote:
4/5 wrote:
digster wrote:

Instead they're simply being slowly chipped away at without the possibility of any replacement, because of the filibuster.

Also true. But considering the makeup of government over the past couple of decades and what appears to be red-state advantages in the Senate in the future, that might be the least-bad option.

PostPosted: Sat July 18, 2020 10:05 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

4/5 wrote:
Mickey wrote:
4/5 wrote:
digster wrote:

Also true. But considering the makeup of government over the past couple of decades and what appears to be red-state advantages in the Senate in the future, that might be the least-bad option.

I don't disagree that the filibuster helps stave off the worst, but if you want anything like a second New Deal in the near future you're probably going to have to take an ax to the ol senate rules.

PostPosted: Sat July 25, 2020 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 0_08l1.pdf

The way I'd handle this is that you can't explicitly list places of worship in your gathering limits--either for an targeted exemption or a targeted restriction.

PostPosted: Fri September 18, 2020 11:43 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Early reports that RBG has died.

[Mario Kart voice] Here a'we go!

PostPosted: Fri September 18, 2020 11:47 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Mickey wrote:

PostPosted: Fri September 18, 2020 11:49 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

PostPosted: Fri September 18, 2020 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

Mickey wrote:

Here we go indeed.

I could see something like this:
--Trump appoints Amy Coney Barrett and the Republican controlled Senate quickly approves her, perhaps before the election.
--Dems win back the presidency and the Senate and retaliate by packing the Court with extreme prejudice.

We'll see how that holds up in a year or two from now.

PostPosted: Fri September 18, 2020 11:55 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Shit’s gonna get really wild now

PostPosted: Fri September 18, 2020 11:57 pm 

Oh my God.

PostPosted: Sat September 19, 2020 12:01 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Green Habit wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Here we go indeed.

--Trump appoints Amy Coney Barrett and the Republican controlled Senate quickly approves her, perhaps before the election.
--Dems win back the presidency and the Senate and retaliate by packing the Court with extreme prejudice.

Is there enough time to confirm a nominee before the election?

PostPosted: Sat September 19, 2020 12:02 am 
The Master

Mickey wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Here we go indeed.

Is there enough time to confirm a nominee before the election?

Something tells me they're going to make time. Might even mean working weekends.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3821 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 192  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate