The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 7:48 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

BurtReynolds wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
That's exactly what happened to Breonna Taylor and Botham Jean. Ahmaud Arbery was murdered by his neighbors while jogging in his neighborhood. Its not hysterical, its what happened!

Now here's the part where I spend all day posting links showing that it happens to whites too, often at slightly higher rates, none of which prove any sort of major existential threat to anyone and bla bla bla

Not doing it, man. Sorry.

Yeah, the police are terrible. So white folks should probably be for defunding them as well. Do you also have examples for housing? Medicine? The Courts? Education? Cause that's only a facet of the problem.

You didn't mention employment, which is a big one, and it certainly exists, and yeah I've been personally effected by it (at least a couple of times). It exists in education as well, but I'm not arguing against the existence of systemic racism, or at least that it has existed fairly recently.

That said, I do think most instances of systemic racism are really just regular racism. A racist in a position of power doesn't make the position racist, and you can't fight it by attacking the institution, and (I hate to use this phrase but it fits) "reverse racism" is usually a bad response to it.

*Affected

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 7:49 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Listen to that white resentment engine purr.

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 7:49 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Mickey wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
That's exactly what happened to Breonna Taylor and Botham Jean. Ahmaud Arbery was murdered by his neighbors while jogging in his neighborhood. Its not hysterical, its what happened!

Now here's the part where I spend all day posting links showing that it happens to whites too, often at slightly higher rates, none of which prove any sort of major existential threat to anyone and bla bla bla

Yeah, the police are terrible. So white folks should probably be for defunding them as well. Do you also have examples for housing? Medicine? The Courts? Education? Cause that's only a facet of the problem.

You didn't mention employment, which is a big one, and it certainly exists, and yeah I've been personally effected by it (at least a couple of times). It exists in education as well, but I'm not arguing against the existence of systemic racism, or at least that it has existed fairly recently.

That said, I do think most instances of systemic racism are really just regular racism. A racist in a position of power doesn't make the position racist, and you can't fight it by attacking the institution, and (I hate to use this phrase but it fits) "reverse racism" is usually a bad response to it.

*Affected

Fuck.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 7:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

It's okay it supports your claim that you were mistreated in school because you're white.

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 7:53 pm 
mXn

BurtReynolds wrote:
Mickey wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Orpheus wrote:

*Affected

Fuck.

Fraud Alert: BurtReynolds has been exposed

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 8:09 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Jorge wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
Jorge wrote:
I regret my decision to participate in this thread!

I mean me too, but for entirely different reasons I'm guessing.

All I wanted was to have a nice conversation about semantics

I tried.

PostPosted: Tue September 01, 2020 10:30 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

While I'm avoiding the threads that make me angry, I might as well toss this in here and run.

PostPosted: Fri September 18, 2020 6:55 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

PostPosted: Fri September 18, 2020 9:19 pm 
Gone

I've already retweeted this to my local BLA chapter. Awaiting response.

PostPosted: Wed September 23, 2020 3:20 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I can't imagine this will be long lived, but after the Sandia Labs kerfuffle, it seems like these type of trainings are bad for workplace culture.

Unless we want federal agencies and contractors to be staffed entirely by 30 or younger HR types...

PostPosted: Wed September 23, 2020 3:43 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

This is why presidential elections should be held every year.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu September 24, 2020 2:54 am 

hahaha

PostPosted: Thu September 24, 2020 3:12 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

well if there's money being lost then the white overlords will be outraged

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sat September 26, 2020 4:40 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

In case you wanted to know about whats going on with white supremacists in the wild:

I thought maybe this was the one involving cuckoldry, but nah, maybe that was Heimbach.

PostPosted: Sat September 26, 2020 5:06 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I read this Louisville Courier Journal article from 2018 the other day that recounts the profiling traffic stop of a black 18-year-old in Louisville.
The video especially has stuck with me.
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/investigations/2019/04/04/louisville-kentucky-police-stopped-frisked-handcuffed-black-teen-for-wide-turn/3210229002/

PostPosted: Sun September 27, 2020 2:18 am 
10Club Complaint Department

B:

PostPosted: Mon September 28, 2020 1:22 pm 
Future Drummer

I honestly don't know the answer to this other than people just need to relax and breathe a little.

There is currently an ad campaign going on in Vancouver by OnePlanetOneChild.org advocating for people to have less children. The mistake they've made is they used diversity in their advertising. People losing their 'minds' over the ads that depict the same idea with BIPOC actors rather than white actors. The BIPOC actor ads have been branded racist. Do these people complaining want diversity in advertising or not?

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/vancouver-overpopulation-ads-climate-change_ca_5f6e717cc5b64deddeedbf08

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2020 9:20 am 
Looks Like a Cat

McWhorter (who is Black) makes a shit-ton of sense here and really captures the essence of the movement. Poor Sam struggles keeping up.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2020 3:53 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

simple schoolboy wrote:

I can't imagine this will be long lived, but after the Sandia Labs kerfuffle, it seems like these type of trainings are bad for workplace culture.

Unless we want federal agencies and contractors to be staffed entirely by 30 or younger HR types...

"it seems like these type of trainings are bad for workplace culture.

Unless we want federal agencies and contractors to be staffed entirely by 30 or younger HR types ... " - Men, when they started Sexual Harassment trainings.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2020 6:43 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

B wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

"it seems like these type of trainings are bad for workplace culture.

Unless we want federal agencies and contractors to be staffed entirely by 30 or younger HR types ... " - Men, when they started Sexual Harassment trainings.

CRT trainings where you segregate employees by race is not exactly the same thing as sexual harassment training.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 76  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate