The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 6:27 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

"Fringe figure"

Don't worry guys it's just a fringe figure.

You can't help yourself.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 6:32 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

If I seem like I'm being flippant in my responses, it's because I'm being flippant in my responses. I don't care to have this conversation for the millionth time, the nick cannon link wasn't meant as a refutation of systemic racism (I'm using this thread as a general racism thread tbh), and hysterical claims that racists are coming into people's houses and killing them while other people have to dig for reasons to be worried about racism isn't worth the time to respond to.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 6:33 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I don't care to have this conversation, which I single-handedly started!

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 6:34 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Watch out folks Mississippi Fredo is at it again!

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 6:35 pm 

Although I am guilty of not upholding thread integrity. I accept whatever punishment RM deems fit. I throw myself at the mercy of the court.

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 6:36 pm 

But in my defense, the other racist thread doesn't specifically mention black racism, so I couldn't post it there either.

Almost like I'm being silenced!

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 6:36 pm 
Future Drummer

That's exactly what happened to Breonna Taylor and Botham Jean. Ahmaud Arbery was murdered by his neighbors while jogging in his neighborhood. Its not hysterical, its what happened!

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 6:38 pm 
Future Drummer

"LOL guys they were murdered in their homes for sleeping but Farrakhan is bad so who cares LOL"

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 6:39 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Orpheus wrote:
That's exactly what happened to Breonna Taylor and Botham Jean. Ahmaud Arbery was murdered by his neighbors while jogging in his neighborhood. Its not hysterical, its what happened!

Its also what happened to Rhogena Nicholas and Dennis Tuttle! At least in that case they could demonstrate that the cop lied in the warrant application.

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 6:41 pm 

Orpheus wrote:

Now here's the part where I spend all day posting links showing that it happens to whites too, often at slightly higher rates, none of which prove any sort of major existential threat to most people's individual lives and bla bla bla

Not doing it, man. Sorry.

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Wed July 15, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 6:42 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I regret my decision to participate in this thread!

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 6:46 pm 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
Orpheus wrote:

Now here's the part where I spend all day posting links showing that it happens to whites too, often at slightly higher rates, none of which prove any sort of major existential threat to anyone and bla bla bla

Yeah, the police are terrible. So white folks should probably be for defunding them as well. Do you also have examples for housing? Medicine? The Courts? Education? Cause that's only a facet of the problem.

Last edited by Orpheus on Wed July 15, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 6:48 pm 
Future Drummer

Jorge wrote:

I mean me too, but for entirely different reasons I'm guessing.

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 6:50 pm 

He's afraid of being cancelled. But that's irrational I'm told.

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 6:53 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

BurtReynolds wrote:
He's afraid of being cancelled. But that's irrational I'm told.

Profitable*

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 6:54 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Orpheus wrote:
Jorge wrote:

I mean me too, but for entirely different reasons I'm guessing.

All I wanted was to have a nice conversation about semantics

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 7:09 pm 

Bammer wrote:
I think I’ve posted here before about how I will occasionally get a huge stack of resumés for a job opening and at some point I will have to find something to use as a filter, so I will go to the person’s name.

To be perfectly clear I have no filter for nationality or race. I am purely after people whose parents were unfortunately douchebags and named their kid something like Atlas or Vedder.

Wait, this is awful!

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 7:10 pm 

Though I guess you have to cull the list somehow.

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 7:23 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Orpheus wrote:
Obviously what he said is idiotic and unfortunate. The ravings of one moron don't really matter against 400 years of racism though, at least to me.

Y'all have this thing where one idiot is supposed to be an effective counterpoint to centuries of suffering, and sorry, i just can't give a shit. Is anyone listening to Nick fucking Cannon? No.

But lots of black people are dead who shouldn't be. It's called perspective, and it's why I can't take some of yall seriously. White people typically have to go digging for this shit. It comes to black people's homes and murders them.

I can't explain what Burt is saying, but the question was "is it possible to be racist against whites?". That doesn't mean that the horrors of historical racism and modern systemic racism aren't worse because they undeniably are.

edit: i would point to the fact it's also not just one idiot. anti-white speech, not necessarily of the nature of Cannon's, appears increasingly acceptable.

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 7:35 pm 

Orpheus wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Orpheus wrote:

Now here's the part where I spend all day posting links showing that it happens to whites too, often at slightly higher rates, none of which prove any sort of major existential threat to anyone and bla bla bla

Yeah, the police are terrible. So white folks should probably be for defunding them as well. Do you also have examples for housing? Medicine? The Courts? Education? Cause that's only a facet of the problem.

You didn't mention employment, which is a big one, and it certainly exists, and yeah I've been personally effected by it (at least a couple of times). It exists in education as well, but I'm not arguing against the existence of systemic racism, or at least that it has existed fairly recently.

That said, I do think most instances of systemic racism are really just regular racism. A racist in a position of power doesn't make the position racist, and you can't fight it by attacking the institution, and (I hate to use this phrase but it fits) "reverse racism" is usually a bad response to it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 76  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate