The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327 ... 953  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:33 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

B wrote:
Anyone know how to find the number of cases reported for the current day?

If you google, you get cases in each state as of yesterday. When does today get recorded, and where does it get posted?

NC, by the way, broke 2000 cases in a day for the first time today, and our hospitalizations hit a high of 951. Still not exponential growth, but our trend line might be moving a bit from a line to a curve as of today.

They get posted in the evening (~5 pm) but you usually have to find news reports for the specific state--I think they're coming out via press release, because the state pages for the states I'm following are, like the Google numbers, a day late.

Edit--this might only apply to PA and FL.

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:34 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
B wrote:
Anyone know how to find the number of cases reported for the current day?

If you google, you get cases in each state as of yesterday. When does today get recorded, and where does it get posted?

NC, by the way, broke 2000 cases in a day for the first time today, and our hospitalizations hit a high of 951. Still not exponential growth, but our trend line might be moving a bit from a line to a curve as of today.

TN has a special website and it’s updated at 2pm daily.

Yeah, NC does Noon. I'm thinking the US must tally late in the day.

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:36 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

This has NC currently at 1,733 today but I noticed any state's data isn't necessarily final and tends to increase as more county counts are tallied

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:41 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

knee tunes wrote:

This has NC currently at 1,733 today but I noticed any state's data isn't necessarily final and tends to increase as more county counts are tallied

I don't know where they get that number. NC DHHS reported over 2000 today, and I can't find ANY day that we reported 1,733.

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:41 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

See, this has PA currently at 274, but if you click on PA , it will show you by county (not all states have the county feature) and not all counties are "in" yet...so the number will increase. I'm not sure if all states operate this way. NC doesn't detail by county (not on this site anyway)...FL does.

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:42 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

B wrote:
knee tunes wrote:

I don't know where they get that number. NC DHHS reported over 2000 today, and I can't find ANY day that we reported 1,733.

Both Worldometers and NC DHHS are reporting 70,241 total cases in NC so i guess there's some adjustment going on there among some days

Last edited by knee tunes on Fri July 03, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:43 pm 
Gone

Worldometers never matches up with anyone else. None of the main reporters ever have the same numbers. It's almost as if we are....a joke.

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:44 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

Is your site showing 1,855 for yesterday? There's a "yesterday" button on that site

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:44 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Neat site, thanks kt. I like (is that the right word?) the projection tool, which currently has the US on track for 175k deaths by October 1st.

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:45 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

verb_to_trust wrote:
Worldometers never matches up with anyone else. None of the main reporters ever have the same numbers. It's almost as if we are....a joke.

PA DOH matches it

I occasionally check

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:50 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

Mickey wrote:
Neat site, thanks kt. I like (is that the right word?) the projection tool, which currently has the US on track for 175k deaths by October 1st.

I look at this site everyday. Yes, I also "appreciate" :P the projection tool. I'm a numbers person, so I like all the features on the site. So frickin morbid though

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:59 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

B wrote:
knee tunes wrote:

Both Worldometers and NC DHHS are reporting 70,241 total cases in NC so i guess there's some adjustment going on there among some days

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 9:00 pm 
Gone

17 combined deaths in Iowa and Illinois today. % positive in Illinois continues to be around 2.5.

At what point do deaths go up? Surely they will, but how much, how soon?

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 9:06 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

verb_to_trust wrote:
17 combined deaths in Iowa and Illinois today. % positive in Illinois continues to be around 2.5.

Takes about 4-5 weeks from infection to death, maybe longer. Early June we were still hovering around 15-18k cases a day nationwide, so we're still a ways off from a noticable jump in deaths that's undoubtedly coming from these 50k days. How much, not clear, but they're going up up up.

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 9:09 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Mickey wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Takes about 4-5 weeks from infection to death, maybe longer. Early June we were still hovering around 15-18k cases a day nationwide, so we're still a ways off from a noticable jump in deaths that's undoubtedly coming from these 50k days. How much, not clear, but they're going up up up.

I haven't done my due diligence on this but I have seen some talk that because so many of the new cases we're seeing now are young people, that perhaps the death numbers won't balloon the way they have before. Does the data bear that out? Or is that just wishful thinking on the part of those speculating? It makes some sense on its face. But like I said, I haven't taken the time to really look into whether there's any validity there.

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 9:15 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

durdencommatyler wrote:
Mickey wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

I haven't done my due diligence on this but I have seen some talk that because so many of the new cases we're seeing now are young people, that perhaps the death numbers won't balloon the way they have before. Does the data bear that out? Or is that just wishful thinking on the part of those speculating? It makes some sense on its face. But like I said, I haven't taken the time to really look into whether there's any validity there.

Yeah I'm not sure--I've seen that claim made, but I've also seen data that suggests a spike in the 75+ population, so. The "the death rate is going down" is one of the re-opener talking points, which doesn't mean it's false but I am suspicious of who and for whom it's being deployed. The nice thing about impending death is that we'll find out eventually, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 9:16 pm 
The Master

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 9:26 pm 
Gone

I haven't even thought about eating at a restaurant.

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 9:32 pm 
Future Drummer

knee tunes wrote:
United States has 4% of the world's population, but 26% of the corona cases.

:shake:

So we’re winning?

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 9:38 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I'm sure in-person dining is ridiculous--there's a lot of evidence to corroborate that--but we've swiped our card when doing takeout from neighborhood places (as a way to avoid doing Grubhub, etc.) so I wonder how much that's factored into the data. That was in-person use but we didn't eat-in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327 ... 953  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate