The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2020 6:00 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Live / Dead - this feels exactly what I signed up for. Taken from performances in San Francisco and primarily at Fillmore West, this features some real epic renditions of songs I have been kicking around a couple of days now. Dark Star starts us off with 20 minutes of meandering that ties together pretty well in the end, but that run of St. Stephen/The Eleven/Turn On Your Lovelight is my favorite thing so far in this journey. Death Don’t Have No Mercy is also really excellent here. I think this is a great introduction into long form Grateful Dead performance if you haven’t spent some time with this. A+ for me.

PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2020 6:52 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
Live / Dead - this feels exactly what I signed up for. Taken from performances in San Francisco and primarily at Fillmore West, this features some real epic renditions of songs I have been kicking around a couple of days now. Dark Star starts us off with 20 minutes of meandering that ties together pretty well in the end, but that run of St. Stephen/The Eleven/Turn On Your Lovelight is my favorite thing so far in this journey. Death Don’t Have No Mercy is also really excellent here. I think this is a great introduction into long form Grateful Dead performance if you haven’t spent some time with this. A+ for me.

Man, I can vividly remember where I was when that version of Dark Star clicked for me.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2020 11:03 pm 
tl;dr

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
liebzz wrote:

Man, I can vividly remember where I was when that version of Dark Star clicked for me.

Man, me too. This "Dark Star" > "St. Stephen" > "The Eleven" was the thing that pushed me headlong into Dead universe.

PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2020 11:40 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Yeah that was massively awesome. Right now in the midst of Fillmore East 2/11/69 - won’t be done with that until tomorrow and then it will be time to move on to Aoxomoxoa. So far their treatments for That’s It For the Other One and Good Morning Little School Girl are both outstanding so I am looking forward to what else this show will bring.

PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2020 11:49 pm 
tl;dr

Another great one -- but brace yourself for "Hey Jude!"

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 12:51 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Still listening to this one since I did not have a ton of time today, but I’m a King Bee, and Dark Star>St. Stephen>The Eleven is holy f’in’ sh’t folks. That latter three song run is glorious!

(Hey Jude was not so good at least on vocals.)

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 1:17 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Live at the Fillmore East 2/11/69 - after hanging out in Live / Dead primarily at the Fillmore West, I decided to take in this show from the Fillmore East. This full show is a moment where I feel I am really starting to get them, from seeing them as a great band and a great live band to truly one of the greats. Good Morning Little School Girl and That’s It For the Other One is a great start to the show and the best version so far of each. I’m a King Bee is ultimate blues done Dead. Turn On Your Lovelight is its
typical epic self. Then there’s that second set run from Dark Star through the end where they just don’t stop playing: Dark Star > St. Stephen > The Eleven > Drums > Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks) > Feedback > We Bid You Goodnight is perfection - nearly an hour without a moment where you tire. Hot damn.

Set: Good Morning Little School Girl, That’s It for the Other One, Doin’ That Rag, I’m a King Bee, Turn On Your Lovelight, Hey Jude

2nd set: Dupree’s Diamond Blues, Mountains of the Moon, Dark Star > St. Stephen > The Eleven > Drums > Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) > Feedback > We Bid You Goodnight

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 6:25 am 
tl;dr

That 2/11/69 album was a big one for me too, having picked it up shortly after falling in love with Live/Dead and feeling like I couldn't get enough of that primal, bluesy '69 sound. Still my go-to versions of "Dupree's Diamond Blues" and "Mountains of the Moon."

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 1:40 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Aoxomoxoa - (50th Anniversary Edition)

I agree with the comment maybe a page ago that the 1971 mix is superior to the 1969 mix. The album itself seems to split the difference between the poppier self-titled debut and the psychedelic Anthem of the Sun. There’s some stuff here, like Rosemary and What’s Become of the Baby that maybe even take that psychedelic sound even further, while St. Stephen, Dupree’s Diamond Blues, and Cosmic Charlie show their more infectious and accessible nature. Doin’ That Rag didn’t really hit me until the 1971 mix, and then it worked for me. Mountains of the Moon is a similar experience. I will note here that St. Stephen is one of my favorite Grateful Dead songs, so it was great way into this album for me. I will tackle the appended Live From the Avalon next...

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 6:18 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Aoxomoxoa - (50th Anniversary) - Part 2 - Live at the Avalon Ballroom

Whereas Live / Dead and Fillmore 2/11/69 felt essential, this felt a little less so. The versions of the songs are all fine, but really only Dupree’s Diamond Blues stuck out here. The exception to that being a really good Death Don’t Have No Mercy, which is really what you want to hear from this. Just took a while to get there.

Set heard on this: New Potato Caboose, Dupree’s Diamond Blues, Doin’ That Rag, Alligator, Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks), Feedback, And We Bid You Goodnight, Clementine, Death Don’t Have No Mercy

What’s Next: Dick’s Picks Vol. 16 - Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA 11/8/1969 (in case you want to follow along)

PostPosted: Sat July 04, 2020 2:24 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Dick’s Picks Vol. 16 - Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA 11/8/69

Set: Good Morning Little School Girl, Casey Jones, Dire Wolf, Easy Wind, China Cat Sunflower, I Know You Rider, High Time, Mama Tried, Good Lovin’, Cumberland Blues, Dark Star>The Other One>Dark Star>Uncle John’s Band>Dark Star, St. Stephen>The Eleven, Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks)>The Main Ten>Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks>Feedback, And We Bid You Goodnight, Turn On Your Lovelight (might be from the night before)

I am not sure what to say about this show because it’s largely perfection. The band here is in great form on this release that stretches over 3 hours. Good Lovin’ was really strong as was Good Night Little School Girl, Mama Tried, and so far my favorite version of Dark Star. St. Stephen>The Eleven is epic - I can’t say enough how much I love this combo. That I think tacked in Turn On Your Lovelight is also the best version so far. This is simply a profoundly great pick.

What’s Next: Workingman’s Dead

PostPosted: Sat July 04, 2020 3:58 pm 
Rank This Poster

Dicks picks 8 n without a net should be moved high up the list

PostPosted: Sat July 04, 2020 4:46 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

i got bugs wrote:

Funny. I have been actually putting in time map out as much as I can as I go along. Dick’s Picks Vol. 8 is currently on the list for post-Workingman’s Dead.

Plucking out the correct shows to include is so far the most challenging part of this, but I am relying on part on the chronological list on the last page in conjunction with kicking around fan suggestions here and there. I wanted to hit one show from the Europe ‘72 list and read some dude’s blog about all the shows and rating them before I put that into the plan.

PostPosted: Sat July 04, 2020 5:11 pm 
tl;dr

liebzz wrote:
Dick’s Picks Vol. 16 - Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA 11/8/69

Set: Good Morning Little School Girl, Casey Jones, Dire Wolf, Easy Wind, China Cat Sunflower, I Know You Rider, High Time, Mama Tried, Good Lovin’, Cumberland Blues, Dark Star>The Other One>Dark Star>Uncle John’s Band>Dark Star, St. Stephen>The Eleven, Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks)>The Main Ten>Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks>Feedback, And We Bid You Goodnight, Turn On Your Lovelight (might be from the night before)

I am not sure what to say about this show because it’s largely perfection. The band here is in great form on this release that stretches over 3 hours. Good Lovin’ was really strong as was Good Night Little School Girl, Mama Tried, and so far my favorite version of Dark Star. St. Stephen>The Eleven is epic - I can’t say enough how much I love this combo. That I think tacked in Turn On Your Lovelight is also the best version so far. This is simply a profoundly great pick.

What’s Next: Workingman’s Dead

I need to hear this pick. I've never really listened to anything from late '69.

Definitely agree with the Dick's Picks 8 recommendation for 1970.

PostPosted: Sat July 04, 2020 5:15 pm 
tl;dr

liebzz wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

Funny. I have been actually putting in time map out as much as I can as I go along. Dick’s Picks Vol. 8 is currently on the list for post-Workingman’s Dead.

Plucking out the correct shows to include is so far the most challenging part of this, but I am relying on part on the chronological list on the last page in conjunction with kicking around fan suggestions here and there. I wanted to hit one show from the Europe ‘72 list and read some dude’s blog about all the shows and rating them before I put that into the plan.

Definitely do the Europe '72 album -- it has a lot of studio overdubs, etc., but is a huge part of the Dead's contemporaneous discography, and in my opinion the studio/live hybrids are the definitive versions of some of their best songs. If you want to branch out with something more authentic, there is a Europe '72, Volume 2 collection that was released at the same time as the complete recordings box, that replicates the feel of the original album but contains no overdubs and duplicates none of the songs from the original release. It is an exceptional compilation, highly recommended. Steppin' Out with the Grateful Dead is another compilation from that tour (focusing on the UK shows) that shouldn't be missed -- sometime, if not now.

PostPosted: Sat July 04, 2020 5:16 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

My plan with Europe ‘72 was to listen to a full show from that tour since the entire tour is available on Spotify.

PostPosted: Sat July 04, 2020 8:24 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
My plan with Europe ‘72 was to listen to a full show from that tour since the entire tour is available on Spotify.

You could always listen to the reduced version which is called "Europe 72 Vol. 2".

Several of the "big boxes" have redux versions.

PostPosted: Sun July 05, 2020 10:19 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Workingman’s Dead - on this fourth album, the Grateful Dead take a strong left turn. Left behind are the psychedelic sojourns of the last two albums, and a focus more on song craft in an almost Americana sort of way but with their spin of course. What results is a stone cold classic, with a bookend of two of their greatest hits in Uncle John’s Band and Casey Jones, both deservedly among the Dead’s most celebrated songs. Elsewhere here, they deliver even more goods, with New Speedway Boogie (my favorite on this listen), Cumberland Blues, Dire Wolf, and Easy Wind. Makes for a perfect listen in a hot summer day.

Next Up: Dick’s Picks Vol. 8 - Binghamton, NY 5/2/70

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2020 2:41 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:

Europe's got some doozys. It'll be hard to do just one, IMO. Off the top of my head, I'd do these three:

4/8/72 (My all time favorite dark star)

4/16/72 (Aarhus)
Quote:
Played at an on-campus cafeteria/canteen at Aarhus University called Stakladen, the tables and chairs were cleared away as best they could, leaving room for what appears to have been no more than 700 students. he final disc opens with 'Truckin'' which turns out to be not as note-worthy through the verses, followed with a bit of sloppiness afterwards. Considering they've played this every night of the tour, I would have expected some sort of larger fanfare or better synergy. The track quickly dissipates into a Phil-led jam with the balance of the band in tow. Immediately different than most post-'Truckin'' jams up to here, you can sense some real magic is about to unfold, and what happens next is what makes this show so special. Jerry hints at 'The Other One' for a moment, but pulls back….drums and keys disappear…..a simple pattern develops between Jerry, Bobby, and Phil….Billy chimes in very quietly, Keith begins to reintroduce himself as Billy adds more toms to the mix. Popping deep chords, Phil continues to lead the jam….Pig makes himself known on organ, and Jerry cues 'The Other One' for a second time quickly shelving the idea while moving into a new direction. Billy and Keith are excellent here as they add delicate color to what might be considered one of the first full-on Phil/Jerry space jams – as the intensity of the jam elevates, the band jumps in perfectly matching the sinister mood that Garcia and Lesh are portraying. Highs and lows are met ……again, Jerry concedes while playing an almost perfect note for note compliment to Phil who has now taken full ownership of this space. The unusual and welcomed bass rumblings dominate leaving Jer and Keith as the only ones left in the game. Phil digs deep to a monster level and Garcia is along for the ride - scary beautiful. Jerry's brighter tones contrast against Phil's spiraling madness as the notes must have been bouncing off the walls of the tiny venue like crazy. This passage sounds more like something from Summer 1974 – awesome musical foreshadowing. The last few minutes of this spontaneous and incredible burst transcend a 'Dark Star' or an 'Other One' - this is jam personified, and quite possibly the best improvisational piece of the entire Europe '72 tour - amazing and polarizing.

5/26/72
The final show and everyone was dosed to the gills. This show is magic.

1972 deserves a lot of attention. They seem to find even another gear once they got back from Europe.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2020 5:18 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
4/16/72 (Aarhus)
Quote:
Played at an on-campus cafeteria/canteen at Aarhus University called Stakladen, the tables and chairs were cleared away as best they could, leaving room for what appears to have been no more than 700 students. he final disc opens with 'Truckin'' which turns out to be not as note-worthy through the verses, followed with a bit of sloppiness afterwards. Considering they've played this every night of the tour, I would have expected some sort of larger fanfare or better synergy. The track quickly dissipates into a Phil-led jam with the balance of the band in tow. Immediately different than most post-'Truckin'' jams up to here, you can sense some real magic is about to unfold, and what happens next is what makes this show so special. Jerry hints at 'The Other One' for a moment, but pulls back….drums and keys disappear…..a simple pattern develops between Jerry, Bobby, and Phil….Billy chimes in very quietly, Keith begins to reintroduce himself as Billy adds more toms to the mix. Popping deep chords, Phil continues to lead the jam….Pig makes himself known on organ, and Jerry cues 'The Other One' for a second time quickly shelving the idea while moving into a new direction. Billy and Keith are excellent here as they add delicate color to what might be considered one of the first full-on Phil/Jerry space jams – as the intensity of the jam elevates, the band jumps in perfectly matching the sinister mood that Garcia and Lesh are portraying. Highs and lows are met ……again, Jerry concedes while playing an almost perfect note for note compliment to Phil who has now taken full ownership of this space. The unusual and welcomed bass rumblings dominate leaving Jer and Keith as the only ones left in the game. Phil digs deep to a monster level and Garcia is along for the ride - scary beautiful. Jerry's brighter tones contrast against Phil's spiraling madness as the notes must have been bouncing off the walls of the tiny venue like crazy. This passage sounds more like something from Summer 1974 – awesome musical foreshadowing. The last few minutes of this spontaneous and incredible burst transcend a 'Dark Star' or an 'Other One' - this is jam personified, and quite possibly the best improvisational piece of the entire Europe '72 tour - amazing and polarizing.
I want to go to there... Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 42  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands