The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 126  Next
 Post subject: Re: Transgender Rights
PostPosted: Thu June 25, 2020 7:30 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
B wrote:
tree_ wrote:
The content could be funny if it weren't mean-spirited and unfair.

That Bret and Heather video you posted is a complete sarcastic mocking of BLA, but they just do it in a monotone, so I guess it can't be mean-spirited b/c they have such dulcet, sweet tones.
You said you didn't even watch it though. It actually is very fair and logical. It's not pandering to any group. They're professors, not "comedians". Point out an instance of "complete sarcastic mocking" and we can discuss it.

Go watch their tear down of the signs they found around Portland.

PostPosted: Thu June 25, 2020 7:38 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
tree_ wrote:
B wrote:
tree_ wrote:

That Bret and Heather video you posted is a complete sarcastic mocking of BLA, but they just do it in a monotone, so I guess it can't be mean-spirited b/c they have such dulcet, sweet tones.
You said you didn't even watch it though. It actually is very fair and logical. It's not pandering to any group. They're professors, not "comedians". Point out an instance of "complete sarcastic mocking" and we can discuss it.

If you're referring to the section of the video I posted, I watched that and it seemed fair to me. Do you have any specific problems with anything they said?

PostPosted: Thu June 25, 2020 8:01 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
B wrote:
tree_ wrote:
B wrote:
tree_ wrote:

If you're referring to the section of the video I posted, I watched that and it seemed fair to me. Do you have any specific problems with anything they said?

Yeah, I have a problem with their self-righteous, patronizing, mocking tone when discussing how they don't think we need to be concerned about the oppressed classes. "History was bad for black people? Yes, well, history was bad for everyone." What a fucking "All Lives Matter" pile of shit.

PostPosted: Thu June 25, 2020 8:06 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
tree_ wrote:
B wrote:
tree_ wrote:
B wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Yeah, I have a problem with their self-righteous, patronizing, mocking tone when discussing how they don't think we need to be concerned about the oppressed classes. "History was bad for black people? Yes, well, history was bad for everyone." What a fucking "All Lives Matter" pile of shit.
Do you not believe all lives matter? Because to me that's a completely obvious truth. The fact that saying that is taboo is ridiculous. And they are concerned about the oppressed classes if you pay attention. I'd have to watch it again to understand the context of that quote, but I know they are very concerned with inequality but they are also concerned with the idiotic approach of this movement.

PostPosted: Thu June 25, 2020 8:09 pm 
Major Dude

tree_ wrote:
B wrote:
tree_ wrote:
B wrote:
tree_ wrote:
B wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Do you not believe all lives matter? Because to me that's a completely obvious truth. The fact that saying that is taboo is ridiculous. And they are concerned about the oppressed classes if you pay attention. I'd have to watch it again to understand the context of that quote, but I know they are very concerned with inequality but they are also concerned with the idiotic approach of this movement.

If your comeback to Black Lives Matter or Trans Lives Matter is All Lives Matter, then you’re a fucking racist, transist(?), etc... End of story.

PostPosted: Thu June 25, 2020 8:13 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
B wrote:
tree_ wrote:
B wrote:
tree_ wrote:
B wrote:
tree_ wrote:

We all believe all lives matter. That isn't the point. "History was bad for everyone" isn't the point just like "all lives matter" isn't the point. Furthermore, those ideas are toxic (especially, in the current context).

I saw a meme that put it really well. Maybe you'll relate to this: If the house down the block from you was on fire, would you expect the fire department to house down every single house in the neighborhood? Of course your house matters but your house isn't the one on fire!

PostPosted: Thu June 25, 2020 8:24 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I'm not trying to "come back" to "black lives matter". I just think it's silly that saying all lives matter is taboo. Literally it is true that all lives matter. I see how in the right context it could be taken as insulting or offensive. Context matters.

PostPosted: Thu June 25, 2020 8:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
I'm not trying to "come back" to "black lives matter". I just think it's silly that saying all lives matter is taboo. Literally it is true that all lives matter. I see how in the right context it could be taken as insulting or offensive. Context matters.

Saying all lives matter isn't taboo. It's shitty in the context of the moment -- as a response to oppressed and marginalized peoples. In this context, saying "history was hard on everyone" is the same as "all lives matter." It's dismissive, ignorant, and racist/ableist/transphobic/etc., because it asserts supremacy and tries to further marginalize those who are more oppressed and aren't privileged enough to have the perspective that "history was hard on everyone." Because it was especially hard on them. Again, your house isn't the one on fire. And make no mistake, their house IS STILL ON FIRE. Those in YouTube videos like the one you posted can say "history WAS bad for everyone" but for a lot of people (Black, Brown, Trans, etc) history is still happening right the fuck now.

But since you just said you agree with that, I'm not sure what you're arguing.

PostPosted: Thu June 25, 2020 8:52 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

durdencommatyler wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Saying all lives matter isn't taboo. It's shitty in the context of the moment -- as a response to oppressed and marginalized peoples. In this context, saying "history was hard on everyone" is the same as "all lives matter." It's dismissive, ignorant, and racist/ableist/transphobic/etc., because it asserts supremacy and tries to further marginalize those who are more oppressed and aren't privileged enough to have the perspective that "history was hard on everyone." Because it was especially hard on them. Again, your house isn't the one on fire. And make no mistake, their house IS STILL ON FIRE. Those in YouTube videos like the one you posted can say "history WAS bad for everyone" but for a lot of people (Black, Brown, Trans, etc) history is still happening right the fuck now.

You didn't even watch the video. They're not arguing that history was equally hard on everybody. They were talking about some dumb flyer. I'm not, they're not disagreeing that groups of people have it more difficult than others. This is stupid.

PostPosted: Thu June 25, 2020 10:00 pm 
Major Dude

You have no knowledge, Joe.

PostPosted: Thu June 25, 2020 11:09 pm 
Future Drummer

tree_ wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tree_ wrote:

You didn't even watch the video. They're not arguing that history was equally hard on everybody. They were talking about some dumb flyer. I'm not, they're not disagreeing that groups of people have it more difficult than others. This is stupid.

You are constantly answering your own questions in round about ways, and not surprisingly, you can't even agree with yourself. Right there in your post is an admission that some groups have had it harder than others. The black community has had it worst of all. For "all lives matter" to be true, black lives must matter. It's pretty simple. If you broaden the context to say "all lives matter" you're no longer focused on the actual problem.

PostPosted: Thu June 25, 2020 11:14 pm 
The Master

does tree hate transgenders too?

PostPosted: Thu June 25, 2020 11:21 pm 
The Master

I saw that tree!

But have you said "yea but all lives matter" ? because if so...

PostPosted: Thu June 25, 2020 11:22 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I never said black lives or trans lives don't matter or that they dont generally have it harder

You're arguing with a phantom

PostPosted: Thu June 25, 2020 11:41 pm 
Major Dude

Strat wrote:
does tree hate transgenders too?

Really? What would make you think he doesn’t?

PostPosted: Sun June 28, 2020 6:33 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Some of you guys are such insufferable, arrogant, assholes.

tree_, you’re a good guy. You seem to really mean well and are open to honest discussion about nuanced topics. Most of these guys have zero interest in having an honest conversation. They are only interested in projecting a certain extreme left viewpoint with no respect for reasonable discourse. To them, any questioning of their tribal reasoning and motives gets immediately shunned and dismissed without a hint of self reflection or awareness.

I hear where you are coming from and I believe these are important questions to ask and honest conversations are important to have. Good luck getting that here.

PostPosted: Sun June 28, 2020 6:47 am 
Gone

Oh, hey Josh

PostPosted: Sun June 28, 2020 2:17 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PHATJ wrote:
Some of you guys are such insufferable, arrogant, assholes.

tree_, you’re a good guy.

:haha:

PostPosted: Sun June 28, 2020 3:04 pm 
The Master

“Nuance” says the king of fake memes to get his point across. Sad!

PostPosted: Wed November 25, 2020 9:15 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Umm... Norway...

https://news.trust.org/item/20201125142808-81qgv

Quote:
People found guilty of hate speech face a fine or up to a year in jail for private remarks, and a maximum of three years in jail for public comments, according to the penal code.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 126  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate