The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mark Lanegan
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:13 pm 
The worst

stip wrote:
Since I've been away from the board and haven't ranked anything in forever here is Mark's non-screaming trees output

1. Bubblegum - Crown jewel of an amazing and prolific solo career. Wedding Dress and Methamphetamine Blues are maybe my two favorites but there is a lot of gold here.

2. Whisky For the Holy Ghost - His most consistently awesome album from start to finish - just not quite as many highs as Bubblegum and some of it didn't age quite as well. Judas Touch, River Rise, and Carnival are my three favorites.

3. Broken - This is a ridiculously good album. Another flat out masterpiece. Death Bells, You Will Miss Me When I Burn, and All the Way Down are so fucking good, but strong songs top to bottom.

4. Blues Funeral - Third best of the Lanegan solo albums - not quite as consistent as Holy Ghost and not quite as many high spots as Bubblegum, but the best stuff on here is as good as his best stuff anywhere. Gravediggers Song is my favorite on this one, but so many great songs. Really everything is excellent but Tiny Grain of Truth (which has its moments), Riot in my House, and Gray Goes Black. The later two are totally forgettable.

5. Here Comes That Weird Chill - it says something about how incredible the Bubblegum sessiosn are that on top of everything on that record you can add Message to Mine, Lexington Slow Down, Sleep With Me, and Wish You Well (the best song from the sessions)

6. Field Songs - The borderline masterpiece. Every song is good - there just aren't quite enough great ones. One Way Street, No Easy Action, and Don't Forget Me are my three favorites

7. Scraps at Midnight - maybe his most atmospheric record. Hotel is amazing. I find his albums work well if you just want to cherrypick songs - this is one of the only cases where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts

8. Phantom Radio -part of a string of albums with a few great songs and a bunch that just go nowhere for me. Death Trip to Tulsa quietly became one of my all time favorite Lanegan songs. Floor of the Ocean, Killing Season, and Seventh Day also really good. Edges out Gargoyle and Somebody's Knocking on the strength of Death Trip

9. It's Not How far You Fall - Revival, Paper Money, and Ghosts of You and Me are incredible, but after that amazing beginging the rest of the album is just pretty good.

10. Somebody's Knocking - this might move up past phantom radio in time. 4 songs I really like (Disbelief Suspension, Stitch it Up, Radio Silence, and Name and Number) but no duds. This is cribbing from influences I don't care about so I can see how some people might really adore this one

11. Gargoyle - . Love Beehive, and Death's Head Tattoo, Nocturne, Blue Blue Sea, and Black Swan are all quite good,. Could take or leave the rest.

12. Has God Seen My Shadow B-sides: This was full of gems - songs that should have been b-sides but I'm so glad were recorded. Big White Cloud and Halcyon Daze were my two favorites

13. Ballad of Broken Seas - The first Isobel Campbell collaberation was the best. Deus Ibi est is super cool, Revolver is great, and almost all of this is pretty solid

14. Houston Publishing Demos - lots of good songs, just not enough great ones. I get why he scrapped this and went in the Bubblegum direction, and thank god he did. I do love the earlier incarnation of Methamphetamine Blues

Straight Songs of Sorrow will probably go here

15. I'll Take Care of You - the better of the two cover albums. I love Shiloh Town so much

16. Hawk -You Won't Let Me Down is great, and I really did Time of the Season and Snake Song

17. No Bells On Sunday - Love Sad Lover. Dry iced and No Bells on Sunday also pretty good, but maybe overlong. Not a fan of the

18. Saturnalia - Don't like the Greg? Dulli stuff, but Idle Hands is an all timer and really dig who will lead us/seven stories underground

19. With Animals - I do dig the title track. One Way Glass is great too. The way he sings 'something lonelier than death' Only he can get away with that shit.

20. The Winding Sheet - feels like a template album for what's to come. Some stuff on here I quite like, but it all feels rough compared to what is to come. Really makes clear the influence Lanegan had on Cobain that never seems to get talked about.

21. Black Pudding - not a huge fan of this one - generally found most of it forgettable but god damn Mescalito is awesome

22. Sunday At Devil Dirt - This is more consistent than Hawk, but there aren't many songs on here I really care much about. Who Built the Road is pretty cool

23. Keep Me In Mind Sweetheart - Fight Fire with Fire is a fun Song. So is Rambling Rose, Clinging Vine

24. Imitations - the only full fledged record that I found almost totally disappointing. Flatlands is beautiful and I do love Mack The Knife

25. A Thousand Miles to Midnight - the remxies all generally suck, except for the Death Trip mix.

26. Downdwelling - persimmon tree was fine

27. Dark Mark Does Christmas - This is a great concept but none of these songs land.

28. Adorata - I can barely remember what's on this so I guess it goes to the bottom

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:14 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

stip wrote:
I've got the book but there are two books I need to finish before I get to it

Im listening to the audiobook, but i need to catch up.

Ill put the new one later im sure.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:03 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Im listening to Straight Songs Of Sorrow.

Its a weird one...it does sounds different than his last 3 or 4 albums so im happy for that. But its still hard for me to have a few songs i love. But Lanegan´s best are always tricky for me at first and this one really has a lot of things to root for.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:04 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Ketamine for example, is wonderful.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:54 pm 
The Master

Finished his book.

Holy hell he was a monster and he makes 0 qualms about it. Amazing he didn’t die like so many of his peers. What a dark and disturbing tale of his life and many others like him. It was a lot of fun reading his stories then being able to pull up videos of some trees performances along the way and be able to understand how fucking strung out he was or know how he was about to get knifed after the performance trying score so as to not go into major withdrawals.

It weirdly ends with a chapter about how he finally ended up in rehab and his awakening. A few comments about QOTSA, before abruptly ending the book with him getting the phone call about maybe dying.

Overall fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:46 pm 
The worst

I am starting it as soon as I finish my current book. Really looking forward to it

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:02 pm 
Future Drummer

I'm a bit over half-way through the memoir and am saving the album listen until I'm finished.

Did you ever go beyond Whiskey Joe?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:51 pm 
AnalLog

Strat wrote:
A few comments about QOTSA,

the Homme/Dalle love snippet is a bit awkward now that they have a restraining order out against each other.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:48 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

they do? I know they separated but...wow.

PostPosted: Thu June 04, 2020 1:25 pm 
Future Drummer

Well the book was quite a ride, the honesty and fly-on-the-wall nature of it all. The narrative did tend to bounce around but I feel that helped the aesthetic of the whole effort.

Of all the name-drops I was glad to see that Mike Ness was exactly as I had read and seen previously. And as far as Liam Gallagher goes... I knew that all as well.

Listening to Live at Leeds now with a pang of regret regarding the show with Isobel Campbell I was supposed to see later that year in the Bowery. One thing this novel has certainly done is gotten me very reflective of my own past.

PostPosted: Thu June 04, 2020 3:50 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

oasisfan35 wrote:
Well the book was quite a ride, the honesty and fly-on-the-wall nature of it all. The narrative did tend to bounce around but I feel that helped the aesthetic of the whole effort.

Of all the name-drops I was glad to see that Mike Ness was exactly as I had read and seen previously. And as far as Liam Gallagher goes... I knew that all as well.

Listening to Live at Leeds now with a pang of regret regarding the show with Isobel Campbell I was supposed to see later that year in the Bowery. One thing this novel has certainly done is gotten me very reflective of my own past.

I need to get back to the audio book. Interesting that made you reflect on you, how come? Its based on your experience while listening to Mark?

PostPosted: Thu June 04, 2020 4:34 pm 
Future Drummer

VinylGuy wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:

I need to get back to the audio book. Interesting that made you reflect on you, how come? Its based on your experience while listening to Mark?

I tend to assume that it is human nature to not revisit the memories earmarked as poor too often. Mark noted in the excerpts above and articles surrounding the book that Bourdain said it would be almost cathartic, if I'm remembering correctly, but goddamn I bet it was a rough go to look back at all this for such a time and write it down; especially given Bourdain's passing while bleeding a testament to death and destruction.

The Campbell/Lanegan show and evening that surrounded it was actually the beginning to an utterly catastrophic week that I truthfully haven't thought about in almost a decade. I believe the art of the memoir is to invoke this sort-of self reflection at times but Mark's music actually being a focal point in my own backstory may just be serendipity here.

PostPosted: Thu June 04, 2020 5:01 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I see.

Yeah, his music is featured with some heavy memories to me also.

PostPosted: Fri June 05, 2020 1:59 pm 
Future Drummer

Didn't see this linked here, enjoyable read:

Too much is never enough: Mark Lanegan interviewed

Quote:
GW: Sounds to me like you’re at a great place right now. I think people will lose their shit when they hear the new album [Somebody's Knocking]. I think it's my favourite since Bubblegum.

ML: What!? You didn’t hear Blues Funeral motherfucker. That’s my best record !” [laughs]

GW: Alright, I’ll give it another go.

ML: If you don’t listen to anything but Blues Funeral I don’t give a shit. [laughs]

GW: It coming eight years after rediscovering your feeling for music, it must have been quite a thrill?

ML: It was. The thing that was not quite a thrill was: every record that I had started before then I had this canvas bag filled with cassette demos of songs. I was always working on bits of pieces of songs, full songs, songs that didn't work for one record and I would use for another one. Every time I would start a record, I would go into that canvas bag and I would listen to these 120 minute long cassette tapes and would find things that didn’t make sense when I first made them but now they did. Some of my best songs came out of that bag. But when I went to make Blues Funeral, I went into that bag and every single one of those tapes had been demagnetised so I spent three days listening to blank tapes. And realising with horror that you know, basically my life's homework didn’t exist anymore. By the way, immediately it freed me to not give a damn and that’s why I love Blues Funeral so much. It was also the first record where I recorded just the number of songs I needed for the record. And to me it is as perfect of a record as I will hope to make.

GW: I will give it another run through.

ML: It’s my favourite record and I suggest it become yours as well.

PostPosted: Fri June 05, 2020 2:08 pm 
The Master

Glad to hear him speak so lovingly about that record. I agree with him fully.

PostPosted: Fri June 05, 2020 3:18 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

he is a big fan of Blues Funeral. I think he also said its the first one that kinda did well financially too.

And yes, its right there with the best stuff.

PostPosted: Tue June 16, 2020 10:10 am 
The worst

I’ve started this. It’s fascinating, but its somewhat surprisingly clumsy in the actual writing

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue June 16, 2020 3:07 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

stip wrote:
I’ve started this. It’s fascinating, but its somewhat surprisingly clumsy in the actual writing

ill continue today. Im in the mood for some junkie stories.

PostPosted: Tue June 16, 2020 3:16 pm 
The worst

He is really vicious to Gary Lee Conner in this book. REALLY nasty

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue June 16, 2020 3:21 pm 
The Master

stip wrote:
He is really vicious to Gary Lee Conner in this book. REALLY nasty

He is nasty to most people but if you pay attention, he is full on admitting that he was/is a horrible fucking human being.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 63  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands