The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Help, Help » Technical Support

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Devices set me free (the gadgets thread)
PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 4:17 pm 
The Master

Ok RM, please help me pick out a new Macbook...

My 2015 Air is dying. I'm thinking I want a 16" Pro, because the extra screen area will be of benefit to my eyes while editing audio (which I do regularly), but there's also a decent likelihood that I'll be editing more video in the coming years.

Do I need a 32 or 64gb model, or is the standard 16gb 16" Pro good enough for some light-to-moderate Premiere editing?

Are the fan/heat issues with the new 16" Pro models really that bad? Are they considerably less in the 13" Pro models?

Anything else I should be aware of? I'd rather go a bit bigger and beefier than a bit lighter -- my current Premiere sessions are a drag on my CPU, and those are really light sessions. But then I'm not too keen on constant heat and fan noise.

Ugh.

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 4:27 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Yeah, don't buy an apple product

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 4:31 pm 
The Master

Not helpful

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 4:33 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

tragabigzanda wrote:
Not helpful

I think if you followed my advice, you'd find it would be helpful!

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 4:34 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

tragabigzanda wrote:

My 2015 Air is dying. I'm thinking I want a 16" Pro, because the extra screen area will be of benefit to my eyes while editing audio (which I do regularly), but there's also a decent likelihood that I'll be editing more video in the coming years.

Do I need a 32 or 64gb model, or is the standard 16gb 16" Pro good enough for some light-to-moderate Premiere editing?

Are the fan/heat issues with the new 16" Pro models really that bad? Are they considerably less in the 13" Pro models?

Anything else I should be aware of? I'd rather go a bit bigger and beefier than a bit lighter -- my current Premiere sessions are a drag on my CPU, and those are really light sessions. But then I'm not too keen on constant heat and fan noise.

Ugh.

I work on a 16 GB 2019 Pro and I do a lot of editing on Premiere and animating on AfterEffects that go beyond what most people would call "light-to-moderate" and honestly I've had no issues. No issues with heat so far either, but I have no real basis for comparison. This is my first Macbook

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 4:38 pm 
The Master

That’s super helpful, thank you Jorge.

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 4:41 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:
That’s super helpful, thank you Jorge.

:lol:

Sorry for being a dick, trag

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 6:35 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:

Ugh.

my buddy just got a pretty stacked 16" MBP and has nothing but issues with it. he's been a 20+ year Apple user, and said this was by far the worst Apple product he's purchased. So average that with Jorge's review and you have a typical internet review here.

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 6:46 pm 
The Master

Goddammit

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 6:50 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I'm with rudd on this one

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 7:38 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Ugh.

my buddy just got a pretty stacked 16" MBP and has nothing but issues with it. he's been a 20+ year Apple user, and said this was by far the worst Apple product he's purchased. So average that with Jorge's review and you have a typical internet review here.

Just checked in with him. He seems to have fixed the crashing issues he was having, and all remaining problems revolve around Adobe. Which is shit so it makes sense. He hasn’t had any overheating/fan issues. They fixed the thermals to correct previous throttling problems.

He said for what you are doing, go base model. And maybe up the storage if you want to. No need to max out RAM or get a discrete gpu

Edit: if you are using Premier, maybe spring for discrete gpu if it’s in the budget

Last edited by bodysnatcher on Tue June 09, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 7:45 pm 
The Master

bodysnatcher wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Ugh.

Just checked in with him. He seems to have fixed the crashing issues he was having, and all remaining problems revolve around Adobe. Which is shit so it makes sense. He hasn’t had any overheating/fan issues. They fixed the thermals to correct previous throttling problems.

He said for what you are doing, go base model. And maybe up the storage if you want to. No need to max out RAM or get a discrete gpu
:hooray: I appreciate your asking him for me!

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 7:46 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Just updated the post with an edit, in case you missed it

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 7:52 pm 
The Master

Thanks, did not see that. It seems that the standard 16" comes with a discrete GPU:

"This MacBook Pro comes as standard with a powerful AMD Radeon Pro 5300M graphics processor featuring 20 compute units paired with 4GB of fast GDDR6 memory. This discrete GPU will boost performance whether you’re editing video in Final Cut Pro X or playing a graphics-intensive game.

To super-charge your graphics performance, you can upgrade to an AMD Radeon Pro 5500M GPU that features 24 compute units — further accelerating tasks like video editing, 3D workflows and game development.

If your workload regularly involves large, graphics-heavy projects, you’ll enjoy the best performance by upgrading to the AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory.

In addition to AMD Radeon Pro 5000M-series graphics, this MacBook Pro includes integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630, a great energy-saving feature for low-intensity graphics workloads."

Is you friend suggesting I upgrade to a more powerful one?

PostPosted: Wed June 10, 2020 1:02 pm 
The Master

Hey ruddo remember when your non apple phone never works. Cool

PostPosted: Wed June 10, 2020 2:03 pm 
The Master

Thanks snatch for following up with me privately.

Gonna spring for the 16” Pro, with the upgrade to 32gb RAM.

PostPosted: Wed June 10, 2020 2:05 pm 

Strat wrote:

Nah that was just a simple setting on my end that I was too dumb to figure out. If I remember correctly, when we first started our texting group, you apple users had to change a setting too. We'll call this one a wash. Nice try though.

PostPosted: Wed June 10, 2020 3:43 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:

I legit thought Ruddo was developing schizophrenia at one point

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 12:51 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Jorge wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Ugh.

I work on a 16 GB 2019 Pro and I do a lot of editing on Premiere and animating on AfterEffects that go beyond what most people would call "light-to-moderate" and honestly I've had no issues. No issues with heat so far either, but I have no real basis for comparison. This is my first Macbook

Today I had my very first performance issue animating on AE. But I was using a bunch of weird plugins

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 1:49 pm 
The Master

this is less encouraging

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Help, Help » Technical Support