The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 520, 521, 522, 523, 524, 525, 526 ... 555  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movies 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 17%  17%  [ 10 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 28%  28%  [ 17 ]
Ehhh 35%  35%  [ 21 ]
I miss the prequels 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 60
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker
PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 9:50 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
I dont think any of you thought about " force healing" before TROS.

What did you think Obi-Wan was doing?

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 9:51 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Just checking him out. Luke only got pistol-whipped, it's not like he was in mortal danger from that shot.

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 9:58 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Rangi Guy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Just checking him out. Luke only got pistol-whipped, it's not like he was in mortal danger from that shot.

durdencommatyler wrote:
Sure that's fair. But how? What does touching his forehead like that tell him about his current state and well-being? How can he tell if he's okay by doing that?

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 10:00 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

durdencommatyler wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

durdencommatyler wrote:
Sure that's fair. But how? What does touching his forehead like that tell him about his current state and well-being? How can he tell if he's okay by doing that?

One of the first things they teach you in first aid is that if you come across someone who's unconscious - after assessing that the area is safe - you gently shake them or lightly slap them to see if they respond. I assumed he was going for something similar

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 10:01 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Rangi Guy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

durdencommatyler wrote:

One of the first things they teach you in first aid is that if you come across someone who's unconscious - after assessing that the area is safe - you gently shake them or lightly slap them to see if they respond. I assumed he was going for something similar

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 10:20 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, checking him out. You all guys thought " OH FORCE HEALING" back in the day? First time we all learnt about force healing was with The Mandalorian, and it was because they needed to introduce that concept in TROS without explanation.

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 10:28 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

VinylGuy wrote:

I did. Remember clearly having a little fist pump when I saw Gandalf do exactly the same thing exactly the same way in LOTR when pippin faints after Sauron looks into his mind. It’s even shot the same way funny enough.

He’s healing him. It’s no big deal. Ezra can communicate with animals in rebels ffs. Many different skills within the force there are

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 10:34 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

You want to know what I thought back in the day (and every time I've watched the movie since)?

"What in the world is he doing? Why is he touching his forehead like that? THAT'S SO WEIRD!!!! God, this movie is hilarious..."

I can't say (nor have I ever claimed) that I thought he was fixing or healing him, per se. Of course, I certainly didn't think the words "Force Healing." But he could have been. It's not like it doesn't make sense for him to do so. Especially as the canon (both prequel and sequel) have filled in Jedi powers.

This thing is in constant motion. Yes, it's a retcon but who cares? Darth Vader as Anakin Skywalker is a retcon. Leia as Luke's sister is a retcon. Big whoop.

Nothing in the text of the film contradicts that he's "Force Healing" Luke. Why fight it? Who cares whether Lucas meant for that to be true or not? It works, so even if you personally don't want to, why not let other people embrace it? I think anyone can look at that and go, "oh cool, yeah, that's a fun idea."

New installments inform and fill-in what came before. I just don't see any issue with that kind of thinking. It's fun and harmless and doesn't change or harm the original film at all.

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 10:36 pm 

It’s a very intentional shot by Lucas to make you wonder at the old mans powers.
You already heard him called a crazy old wizard by Owen by that point remember

It also sets up the force conversation and later events nicely. Telegraphs them even

Last edited by dimejinky99 on Wed June 03, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 10:37 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

dimejinky99 wrote:
It’s a very intentional shot by Lucas to make you wonder at the old mans powers.
You already heard him called a crazy old wizard by owner by that point remember

yeah, i agree with this. Exactly this.

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 10:38 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

durdencommatyler wrote:
You want to know what I thought back in the day (and every time I've watched the movie since)?

"What in the world is he doing? Why is he touching his forehead like that? THAT'S SO WEIRD!!!! God, this movie is hilarious..."

I can't say (nor have I ever claimed) that I thought he was fixing or healing him, per se. Of course, I certainly didn't think the words "Force Healing." But he could have been. It's not like it doesn't make sense for him to do so. Especially as the canon (both prequel and sequel) have filled in Jedi powers.

This thing is in constant motion. Yes, it's a retcon but who cares? Darth Vader as Anakin Skywalker is a retcon. Leia as Luke's sister is a retcon. Big whoop.

Nothing in the text of the film contradicts that he's "Force Healing" Luke. Why fight it? Who cares whether Lucas meant for that to be true or not? It works, so even if you personally don't want to, why not let other people embrace it? I think anyone can look at that and go, "oh cool, yeah, that's a fun idea."

New installments inform and fill-in what came before. I just don't see any issue with that kind of thinking. It's fun and harmless and doesn't change or harm the original film at all.

ey you can think whatever you want or makes you happy. I think its a stretch to say, yeah we saw it with Obi Wan and Luke. Thats all.
For all i know next year they introduce the notion that Jedis can tell if you have fever by touching you in the forehead and YEAH BRILLIANT THATS WHAT OBI WAN DID YEAH, IT ALL RHYMES!!!

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 10:40 pm 

You might see obi wan do all sorts in the new series hat we’ve never seen him or any Jedi do before. Who knows.

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 10:49 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Obi was having slightly modified, Demolition Man-style sex with Luke.

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 10:50 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
You might see obi wan do all sorts in the new series hat we’ve never seen him or any Jedi do before. Who knows.

#forceboner

PostPosted: Thu June 04, 2020 3:49 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

durdencommatyler wrote:

Yeah, but those are retconned by movie scripts, not by you and dime writing fan fiction in your basement.

PostPosted: Thu June 04, 2020 3:52 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I don't know why I think you write your fan fiction in the basement. I'm sure you guys have proper fan fiction offices complete with white Boba Fetts on display in the box.

PostPosted: Thu June 04, 2020 4:07 am 
jeeeesus relax already

B wrote:
I don't know why I think you write your fan fiction in the basement. I'm sure you guys have proper fan fiction offices complete with white Boba Fetts on display in the box.

I always felt they work for Disney.

PostPosted: Thu June 04, 2020 11:56 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

durdencommatyler wrote:
Nothing in the text of the film contradicts that he's "Force Healing" Luke.

I'd also like to add, nothing in the text of the film contradicts that Obi-Wan secretly used that Kylo/Rey mental connection trick to fuck Padme in her sleep and that he's actually Luke and Leia's father, but that doesn't mean, as dime claims, "it's all right there!"

Obi-Wan used force healing on Luke?

Yeah, okay, maybe.

PostPosted: Thu June 04, 2020 1:36 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Yeah, but those are retconned by movie scripts, not by you and dime writing fan fiction in your basement.

Why is the idea so offensive to you? Seems like a weird thing to be a dick about

PostPosted: Thu June 04, 2020 1:41 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Nothing in the text of the film contradicts that he's "Force Healing" Luke.

I'd also like to add, nothing in the text of the film contradicts that Obi-Wan secretly used that Kylo/Rey mental connection trick to fuck Padme in her sleep and that he's actually Luke and Leia's father, but that doesn't mean, as dime claims, "it's all right there!"

Obi-Wan used force healing on Luke?

Yeah, okay, maybe.

I'm not defending dime (though the particular "it's right there!" that you're referencing seemed like a pretty clear joke to me) at all. I've already said I never considered Obi Wan was Force Healing Luke. Now that the idea has come up,I don't hate it. I think it works and is a fine interruption of that moment. It's acceptable head canon that could one day become actual canon. Hell, there might already be a book or something that has made it canon.

There may be nothing to directly contradict the bullshit you posted but there is nothing to support it either. That's the difference.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 520, 521, 522, 523, 524, 525, 526 ... 555  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars