The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3642 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 ... 183  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random Pearl Jam References
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:58 pm 
Stone's Bitch

swan wrote:
Didn’t Ed sing the National Anthem for one of the ‘96 Finals games at Key Arena?

[YouTube][/YouTube]

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:05 pm 
Production Police

theplatypus wrote:
That is a very modest rider

what's in yours?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:07 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:38 pm 
Production Police

Sarah Vowell in NYT:

How Democrats Win in My Red State (and They Do Win)
For the shrewd Montana Democrat, good government and good politics are often indistinguishable.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/17/opin ... crats.html

Quote:
Privately, feel free to enjoy normal liberal thoughts like “that Al Sharpton makes a lot of sense.” Publicly, assume that everyone you talk to is a Republican or an independent unless you are chatting with the Butterfly Herbs cashier ringing up your bulk Korean ginseng or you happen to bump into Jeff from Pearl Jam.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:01 pm 
AnalLog

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:48 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I’ve never heard Steve Albini talk about early 90’s alternative rock without being embarrassed for him. He describes it like a guy who mostly learned about it in Hit Parade magazine.

Last edited by McParadigm on Wed May 27, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:51 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I like the hell out of him. He’s just kind of a low information dad when it comes to an era he gets unavoidably (unfortunately) asked about a lot.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:01 pm 
Future Drummer

What is he talking about when he says Pearl Jam is a corporate creation? Is there truth/rumour about that or does he not know what he is talking about?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:06 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Mike wrote:
What is he talking about when he says Pearl Jam is a corporate creation? Is there truth/rumour about that or does he not know what he is talking about?

McParadigm wrote:
I’ve never heard Steve Albini talk about early 90’s alternative rock without being embarrassed for him. He describes it like a guy who mostly learned about it in Hit Parade magazine.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:16 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I haven't even heard the interview, but I can probably guess what he means. Albini is immersed in a way of making music which is largely independent of the major labels and entertainment industry in a broader sense. Nirvana came out of that scene too, they played local shows and recorded for local labels, toured the country in falling-to-pieces old vans, etc. Pearl Jam never did any of those things, they were signed to a major label from the get-go and were never part of that grassroots, independent world.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:26 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Birds in Hell wrote:
I haven't even heard the interview, but I can probably guess what he means. Albini is immersed in a way of making music which is largely independent of the major labels and entertainment industry in a broader sense. Nirvana came out of that scene too, they played local shows and recorded for local labels, toured the country in falling-to-pieces old vans, etc. Pearl Jam never did any of those things, they were signed to a major label from the get-go and were never part of that grassroots, independent world.

"Pearl Jam was sort of...the corporate face of the era. You know, the band was assembled from constituent parts, and then was shopped as a product. It was very much an industry creation."

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:40 pm 
Future Drummer

At the very least, that comment seems to be ignorant of Jeff & Stone's history.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:14 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

"Pearl Jam was sort of...the corporate face of the era. You know, the band was assembled from constituent parts, and then was shopped as a product. It was very much an industry creation."

I don't think he's entirely off target.

When Jeff and Stone started the band, it was undeniably a commercially-minded endeavour in which they set out to find suitable band members to fill the ranks, including a ripping lead guitarist and charismatic lead singer. They were willingly working in tandem with that entertainment industry juggernaut from the outset.

That's not to say their success was "manufactured" - plenty of bands who tried the same thing faded into obscurity, Pearl Jam fortunately had enough talent to back up their ambitions - but it's a markedly different (not necessarily better, but different) approach than that taken by the sort of bands Albini has historically championed. Jeff and Stone shared a laser-focus on becoming successful, professional rock musicians.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:20 pm 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

When Jeff and Stone started the band, it was undeniably a commercially-minded endeavour in which they set out to find suitable band members to fill the ranks, including a ripping lead guitarist and charismatic lead singer. They were willingly working in tandem with that entertainment industry juggernaut from the outset.

That's not to say their success was "manufactured" - plenty of bands who tried the same thing faded into obscurity, Pearl Jam fortunately had enough talent to back up their ambitions - but it's a markedly different (not necessarily better, but different) approach than that taken by the sort of bands Albini has historically championed. Jeff and Stone shared a laser-focus on becoming successful, professional rock musicians.

But you're not at all describing an industry creation. You're describing Jeff & Stone having commercial ambitions.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:38 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I like how according to his view of what this band is he crafted the perfect temptation-as-prank, and it died with a flat-assed thud.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:51 pm 

Rob wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

But you're not at all describing an industry creation. You're describing Jeff & Stone having commercial ambitions.

They weren't selling copies of Ten out of a cardboard box on a merch table, or out of the back of a van. They had the financial and promotional support of a major label from the outset which played an enormous part in the band's early success.

Just to be clear, none of the above is meant to suggest that I subscribe to Albini's viewpoint (at least not dogmatically), or that I think artistic merit has any correlation with an artist's commercial ambition (or lack thereof).

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:03 am 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
They weren't selling copies of Ten out of a cardboard box on a merch table, or out of the back of a van. They had the financial and promotional support of a major label from the outset, which played an enormous part in the band's early success.

Sure, but I think being the founders of Green River & MLB matter here. They're not an industry creation. They wanted to be rock stars, and succeeded.

Quote:
Just to be clear, none of the above is meant to suggest that I subscribe to Albini's viewpoint (at least not dogmatically), or that I think artistic merit has any correlation with an artist's commercial ambition (or lack thereof).

I know, man. You're a staple on this PJ message board. I assume you have a healthy respect for them.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:18 am 

Rob wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
They weren't selling copies of Ten out of a cardboard box on a merch table, or out of the back of a van. They had the financial and promotional support of a major label from the outset, which played an enormous part in the band's early success.

Sure, but I think being the founders of Green River & MLB matter here. They're not an industry creation. They wanted to be rock stars, and succeeded.

I feel like I'm leaning too heavily into constructing an imaginary (if probably broadly accurate) Albini argument to further the discussion, but I think he'd view that being a "rock star" is inherently an industry-created phenomenon; you can't reach that level of fame and saturation without actively working in partnership with the entertainment industry. That's probably heightened in Pearl Jam's situation as they started right at that point, they didn't scale up to it following years of building an independent support base.*

* Yes, I know the background of Stone and Jeff in particular, but I think this argument treats Pearl Jam as a fresh start, a new entity.

Rob wrote:
Quote:

I know, man. You're a staple on this PJ message board. I assume you have a healthy respect for them.

I absolutely do.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:23 am 
Production Police

Guys this is just the zillionth example of Albini saying something that is demonstrably true with a tone that is both abrasive and lacking in any nuance.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:36 am 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
I feel like I'm leaning too heavily into constructing an imaginary (if probably broadly accurate) Albini argument to further the discussion, but I think he'd view that being a "rock star" is inherently an industry-created phenomenon; you can't reach that level of fame and saturation without actively working in partnership with the entertainment industry. That's probably heightened in Pearl Jam's situation as they started right at that point, they didn't scale up to it following years of building an independent support base.*

I'll take the bolded as an invite to go further ;)

Pearl Jam may technically be a new entity at the time, but certainly it owes its existence to the work done in the prior 6 years, no? I don't want to inflate Green River's influence, but they earned their place and created the foundation Pearl Jam sits upon. The industry did not create this. They capitalized on it.

Quote:
being a "rock star" is inherently an industry-created phenomenon

I get the logic behind this, but it condemns almost everyone. I don't know Mr. Albini as well as you guys, but do I believe Kurt Cobain didn't want to be a famous rock star? No way. Why do the people who spend their life on music and gravitate toward the industry do so if not to make music for a living.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3642 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 ... 183  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam