The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 527 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dave Matthews Band
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:32 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The DMB Drive-In series continues tonight, Wednesday, May 27th at 8pm ET with a full live performance of the Dave Matthews Band concert at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, IA on May 14, 2019.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:19 pm 
Future Drummer

Stickman wrote:

Management is really pushing the current line-up/state of things. I know it is a relatively common practice for live acts but the Warehouse releases, official shows and Sirius streams seems a bit much.

I did start listening to the summer shows I've attended over the holiday weekend, 5.25 on Monday, etc. and I'm looking forward to some I haven't listened to in many years.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:59 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

And he's playing live tonight on tiktok, FB, Yahoo, Twitch and YouTube

PostPosted: Wed June 17, 2020 4:38 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Tonight, Wednesday, June 17th at 8pm ET, DMB Drive-In will show a full live performance of the Dave Matthews Band concert at Sleep Train Amphitheater on July 30, 2003.

PostPosted: Thu June 18, 2020 1:43 am 
Future Drummer

Stickman wrote:

pretty solid show right here.

PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2020 9:12 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Tune for another episode of the DMB Drive-In series TONIGHT, Wednesday, July 1st at 8pm ET with a full live performance of the Dave Matthews Band concert at PNC Music Pavilion in Charlotte, NC on July 24, 2018.

PostPosted: Tue July 14, 2020 12:15 pm 
Rank This Poster

the shows from the early 00's really took me back to the band i fell in love with during high school. its weird b/c their studio output during this time is def not my favorite, but holy shit their live shows are some of their best. i like buddy guy way more than butch taylor, but taylor fits in perfect with that line up. i just cant stand his solos. obviously everyone misses boyd's solos despite him being a creep show. and i know its easy to praise someone after they passed, but leroi moore was an absolute monster. whether he's ripping a solo or just coloring a song with his horn, whatever he's doing is the most important part of the song. what he brought to the band will never be matched. RIP.

the show this week is from last year, but i was there! i was in and out of the hospital last spring, and i kept telling people i just want to live to see dmb again lol. this was my first show last summer and first since being out of the hospital, so its sorta important to me. i remember being their having to go to the bathroom, but the run of songs was so damn good i had couldnt leave lol.

:peace:

PostPosted: Tue July 14, 2020 3:14 pm 
AnalLog

Damn warehouse, I don't know if you told the board and I missed it, but you doing better now? Everything back to healthy or is still something you have to deal with? I've always enjoyed your contributions here on RM.

I haven't enjoyed a Dave show since 2010, largely because of the feeling I got from shows from 98-06, but I'm going to check this one out in honor of you!

PostPosted: Thu July 16, 2020 12:20 pm 
Rank This Poster

Hatfield wrote:
Damn warehouse, I don't know if you told the board and I missed it, but you doing better now? Everything back to healthy or is still something you have to deal with? I've always enjoyed your contributions here on RM.

I haven't enjoyed a Dave show since 2010, largely because of the feeling I got from shows from 98-06, but I'm going to check this one out in honor of you!

:thumbsup: i'm all good now, thanks for asking! hope you enjoyed the show! my dad passed earlier this week so i really needed this. i think i'm gonna have #41 played during the viewing.

PostPosted: Thu July 16, 2020 5:49 pm 
Future Drummer

Hatfield wrote:

I have only seen DMB once, in 2017 (I think) and thought it was great. Can't imagine them being able to be that much better in 98-06 but kudos to them if they were.

PostPosted: Thu July 16, 2020 6:33 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

My coworker is an insane DMB fan. It’s all she listens to. I get it, I used to be that way with PJ. But man, there’s a lot of DMB listening at work and I’m on the brink of either liking it, or suicide.

PostPosted: Thu July 16, 2020 11:59 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

surfndestroy wrote:
Hatfield wrote:

I have only seen DMB once, in 2017 (I think) and thought it was great. Can't imagine them being able to be that much better in 98-06 but kudos to them if they were.

I saw DMB a bunch of times I think between 1996-2010(?) and I always thought the show was hit or miss - either really thrillingly great or really boring and plodding and rarely in between. I stopped going because for $100 I kind of want to know which Dave I am gonna get.

PostPosted: Fri July 17, 2020 12:25 am 
Future Drummer

surfndestroy wrote:
Hatfield wrote:

they were a very different band from 98-06. they’ve been a straight up rock band for the last few years, and that change started after leroi died.

PostPosted: Fri July 17, 2020 12:35 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

AndySlash wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
Hatfield wrote:

they were a very different band from 98-06. they’ve been a straight up rock band for the last few years, and that change started after leroi died.

I thought that started when they made Tim Reynolds a permanent member of the band, and really it goes back to Everyday. That was their turn toward a tighter sound that eschewed at least studio jamming.

PostPosted: Fri July 17, 2020 3:16 am 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
AndySlash wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
Hatfield wrote:

I thought that started when they made Tim Reynolds a permanent member of the band, and really it goes back to Everyday. That was their turn toward a tighter sound that eschewed at least studio jamming.

I believe the real shift was Big Whiskey, Tim's playing in 2008 with and without LeRoi was a great compliment to the band as it always had been prior but the electric guitar forward nature of that album really cemented a different course. Coffin became more of a presence on that and subsequent tours changing the dynamic further with the recent removal of violin and (re)addition of keys leading to an entirely different state. The extreme tempo shifts and Carter's tendencies to overplay for a few tours also weighing in heavily.

PostPosted: Fri July 17, 2020 6:14 pm 
AnalLog

AndySlash wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
Hatfield wrote:

In a good way?

PostPosted: Fri July 17, 2020 6:47 pm 
Future Drummer

warehouse wrote:
Hatfield wrote:

:thumbsup: i'm all good now, thanks for asking! hope you enjoyed the show! my dad passed earlier this week so i really needed this. i think i'm gonna have #41 played during the viewing.

so sorry for your loss, warehouse.

PostPosted: Tue July 21, 2020 12:55 am 
Rank This Poster

blueviper wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Hatfield wrote:

thank you. i played #41 and a bunch of neil young, beatles/lennon and pearl jam. music was a big deal to me and my dad.

as far as dmb, they've gone through a number of phases b/c of line up changes and recording decisions. there are songs i legit like on 'Everyday', but scrapping what would eventually become most of 'Busted Stuff' to start from scratch with a new producer helping write everything is a huge, huge deal. i understand DM was going through personal issues, but 'big eyed fish' and 'bartender' as an ep is better than everyday as an album.

big whiskey. this is their 4th best album, maybe as good as some of the stuff on their first 3. being leroi's last album obviously inspired much of it, and thats probably why i love it. recording the end of it in new orleans seems like one of the best decisions the band has ever made. the writing, the arrangements, the lyrics, the whole album is for leroi moore. i actually remember thinking "they're back".

i think the most recent personal change is bigger than tim reynolds becoming a permanent member. he has always guested on tours since the 1990s, i dont think he takes over songs. i think the lack of a violin is the biggest change the band has had in their sound. songs like tripping billies and dancing nancies need a violin. i understand what happened, but it still sounds weird hearing a guitar or horn play those parts.

PostPosted: Tue July 21, 2020 6:06 pm 
AnalLog

warehouse wrote:
blueviper wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Hatfield wrote:

thank you. i played #41 and a bunch of neil young, beatles/lennon and pearl jam. music was a big deal to me and my dad.

as far as dmb, they've gone through a number of phases b/c of line up changes and recording decisions. there are songs i legit like on 'Everyday', but scrapping what would eventually become most of 'Busted Stuff' to start from scratch with a new producer helping write everything is a huge, huge deal. i understand DM was going through personal issues, but 'big eyed fish' and 'bartender' as an ep is better than everyday as an album.

big whiskey. this is their 4th best album, maybe as good as some of the stuff on their first 3. being leroi's last album obviously inspired much of it, and thats probably why i love it. recording the end of it in new orleans seems like one of the best decisions the band has ever made. the writing, the arrangements, the lyrics, the whole album is for leroi moore. i actually remember thinking "they're back".

i think the most recent personal change is bigger than tim reynolds becoming a permanent member. he has always guested on tours since the 1990s, i dont think he takes over songs. i think the lack of a violin is the biggest change the band has had in their sound. songs like tripping billies and dancing nancies need a violin. i understand what happened, but it still sounds weird hearing a guitar or horn play those parts.

That's so great that you and your dad were able to share music. That seems to be a rarity for my friend group.

I was working at Best Buy in the customer service department and we fixed a guys cd player. The cd that was stuck in it was the Lillywhite Sessions. I struck up a conversation and the next week he brought me a copy of it. Before These Crowded Streets is tough to compete with, but I probably listened to Lillywhite more than any other album. It spoke to me in a deep way.

I'll have to go back and give Big Whiskey a try.

PostPosted: Wed July 29, 2020 11:17 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The DMB Drive-In series TONIGHT, Wednesday, July 29th at 8pm ET, will feature a full live performance of the Dave Matthews Band concert on June 1, 2013 at Blossom Music Center in Cuyahoga Falls, OH.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 527 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 27  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands