The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2967 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 149  Next
 Post subject: Re: Which bootleg are you listening to?
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 12:45 pm 
Broken Tamborine
 WWW  Profile

Been trying to listen to the 2009 tour in order over the last year or so. Got LA night 3 coming up, so I'm glad to hear it is a good one. I struggled to get through nights 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:43 pm 
A Return To Form

LikeLukin wrote:
Been trying to listen to the 2009 tour in order over the last year or so. Got LA night 3 coming up, so I'm glad to hear it is a good one. I struggled to get through nights 1 and 2.

LA 4 is great as well..

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:38 pm 
AnalLog

Still stuck in 2003. I remember being all about this show when the boots first came out. It still holds up!

04/23/03 – University of Illinois Assembly Center: Champaign, IL
set: Do The Evolution, Corduroy, Save You, Deep, Dissident, Elderly Woman, Even Flow, Jeremy, Thumbing My Way, You Are, I Am Mine, Habit, Untitled/MFC, Given To Fly, Nothingman, Blood, Porch
enc 1: Driven To Tears, Better Man, Crazy Mary, Know Your Rights, Fortunate Son
enc 2: Blue Red Grey, Black, Alive, Baba O’Riley

What a main set! People started complaining about the covers around this time, but I really enjoyed the addition of Driven to Tears and Fortunate Son. Blue Red and Grey is one that I spin regularly, but was never lucky enough to see it live.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:57 am 
tl;dr

Hatfield wrote:
Still stuck in 2003. I remember being all about this show when the boots first came out. It still holds up!

set: Do The Evolution, Corduroy, Save You, Deep, Dissident, Elderly Woman, Even Flow, Jeremy, Thumbing My Way, You Are, I Am Mine, Habit, Untitled/MFC, Given To Fly, Nothingman, Blood, Porch

What a main set! People started complaining about the covers around this time, but I really enjoyed the addition of Driven to Tears and Fortunate Son. Blue Red and Grey is one that I spin regularly, but was never lucky enough to see it live.

I was at this show! I try not to talk about "the energy" when describing a concert but man, there was no other way to describe this show -- I've never been at a show, PJ or otherwise, that felt so supercharged. My first PJ show was St. Louis 2000, which was great, but it was very much a "we're at an amphitheater and there is a big famous band playing on a big stage 100 yards away" type show (we were on the lawn). This Champaign show -- my second PJ show -- felt like a small club gig, even though it wasn't (though it was probably a smaller venue by PJ standards). Just an awesome night all around.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:06 pm 
Future Drummer

Hatfield wrote:

I just finished this show, sorry, I have been lacking with my reviews. This show really is show that you'll never see again, playing outside chicago and doing 2 encores with 2 original songs? I remember reviews from the show and people were complaining about it. Crazy to think.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:17 pm 
AnalLog

Kevin Davis wrote:
Hatfield wrote:

I was at this show! I try not to talk about "the energy" when describing a concert but man, there was no other way to describe this show -- I've never been at a show, PJ or otherwise, that felt so supercharged. My first PJ show was St. Louis 2000, which was great, but it was very much a "we're at an amphitheater and there is a big famous band playing on a big stage 100 yards away" type show (we were on the lawn). This Champaign show -- my second PJ show -- felt like a small club gig, even though it wasn't (though it was probably a smaller venue by PJ standards). Just an awesome night all around.

:bammer:

After seeing Widespread Panic many times and trying different "vehicles", I got really comfortable talking about "energy" in a room. :lol: It's real.

My second show (9/4/98) was Oceans>DTE to start and it felt like a bomb had gone off, but in the best way. So cool that you were at this one, and a 10,000 seater was definitely small for 2003.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:21 am 
Broken Tamborine

Tampa 2016. Very good show imo. Best versions of got some and love boat captain that I recall hearing.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:58 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

penis galoshes

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:45 pm 
A Return To Form

Kalevi wrote:
Tampa 2016. Very good show imo. Best versions of got some and love boat captain that I recall hearing.

I really like Mind Your Manners and Off He Goes from that show.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:07 am 
Broken Tamborine

tyweed wrote:
Kalevi wrote:

I will need to take another listen to mind your manners. It's an enhanced live song but I didn't notice anything special about this one. I really dug the 2nd half of this off he goes.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:55 pm 
A Return To Form

Kalevi wrote:
tyweed wrote:
Kalevi wrote:

I will need to take another listen to mind your manners. It's an enhanced live song but I didn't notice anything special about this one. I really dug the 2nd half of this off he goes.

I hear ya. They routinely nail MYM so the bar/norm is pretty high on that one, but something about this version really packs a wallop. I like how Ed's vocals are back in the mix and affected by the natural reverb in the room. He sounds desperate and on the edge on as the band absolutely tears it. They're able to be super tight and super powerful on this one in an almost '93/'94-like fashion.

And there's nothing particularly unique about this Off He Goes, but it's just near-perfect.

PostPosted: Mon June 22, 2020 7:20 pm 
AnalLog

Every time I listen to a show from 1998 I think, "Why aren't I listening to more shows from 1998?!" (Thanks to demetrios for the link to show!)

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 8:57 pm 
A Return To Form

Starting the 2009 Australian leg today with Perth...

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 10:57 pm 
Future Drummer

I am still rumbling through the 2003 US tour, right now I moved up after finishing chicago to listen to Mansfield from 7/2 and I will listen to 7/3 before going back into order.

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 11:24 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I might get into some 2003 boots later.

PostPosted: Sat July 04, 2020 6:49 pm 
Future Drummer

VinylGuy wrote:
I might get into some 2003 boots later.

I hadn't listened to any of these shows since my first go around and I'll say this. I am about midway through June now.

- Aussie leg was a disaster, some great moments, but the shows showed rust from the layoff.
- Japan, these shows while not perfect, but priceless, these show are basically rehersals with the big Tokyo show in the middle.
-US first leg is very poltical, best run of shows from Raleigh to State College I since they started releasing them.

Minor things

- Crazy Mary and black in 2003 where boom played more and pretty didn't know what he was doing I think sounds great in 2003. Some crazy mary are just simply barn burners back then.
- Evenflow was really really nasty, the band simply played the shit out of it in 2003.
- Blood, what can be said, I orignally thought it wasn't that good, but looking back, man some great versions.

I really wonder who's idea the 2nd leg of this tour was. They started in missoula, went down the west coast and up the midwest, through the northeast and then to mexico. Truly the longest and craziest tour they ever did. I do remember the tour was supposed to end on 7/9 and then hersey the 3rd boston, holmdel and mexico was added.

More random thoughts to come,

PostPosted: Sun July 05, 2020 2:25 am 
Future Drummer

I really liked the Hershey show even though it gets a lot of hate here. There are some bad points (short encore, bad vibes) but all in all it's a very intesne performance.

PostPosted: Sun July 05, 2020 10:48 am 
A Return To Form

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
I really liked the Hershey show even though it gets a lot of hate here. There are some bad points (short encore, bad vibes) but all in all it's a very intesne performance.

Yes, performancewise this is the last really good show of the tour, way better than the Holmdel show that follows. (the only interesting thing in Holmdel is the setlist) Although I'm sure everyone had a better time in Holmdel but that's the way it is with those bootlegs..:)
The Mexico shows are only memorable because it was their first time there and the crowd goes absolutely bonkers. Aside from that, nothing to write home about. The last one is actually pretty bad.

PostPosted: Sun July 05, 2020 5:07 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I was at the Hershey show. We had a great time there though there were some pretty weird moments. I think for me, it was hard to follow that run from NYC to Boston 3 to that. Also, Eddie’s voice was clearly tired or strained from the nights before - both MSG shows and the Boston show were on the long side for them at the time so I don’t blame him or them for being tired playing a fourth show in five nights.

PostPosted: Tue July 14, 2020 8:25 pm 
A Return To Form

9/3/98 Birmingham - Going through some shows I dont think I've ever listened to, love the 98 tour.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2967 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 149  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live