The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The future of movie theaters
PostPosted: Thu April 30, 2020 3:32 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 24349
Location: Mizzou
I like going to to theater too.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of movie theaters
PostPosted: Thu April 30, 2020 3:33 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 39013
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
Yellow Moon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of movie theaters
PostPosted: Thu April 30, 2020 3:38 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:17 pm
Posts: 4624
Location: right there
I'd miss the popcorn.

_________________
bada wrote:
Cause the two girls on the board voted for the rapey song.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of movie theaters
PostPosted: Thu April 30, 2020 1:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Classic B
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 15668
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Jammer XCI wrote:
Movie theaters fucking suck, hope they all go out of business and kill off the shitty malls and strip malls they're in while they're at it. :finger:


Chapel Hill has a great one built in 1927. They're cheap ($7 for adults). They sell beer. They host local events. They'll even do a birthday party with popcorn, soda, and pizza for $250. You can show what they're showing or bring in your own DVD.

Image

There's also an "art house" theater supported by a non-profit that shows all the independent movies. They aren't as cheap, but they do sell beer or let you bring in coffee from the attached coffee shop.

Image

My family tends to frequent the six screen AMC in town, because we can get gift cards from Discover. Their concessions are cheaper than most places, and the manager, Thor ... yes, THOR, is great. He's suggested when to buy tickets, and once gave me my money back when I had to leave a movie with a crying baby. It's only ever sold out for Spider-Man 2 and The Last Jedi, which is a mixed blessing. No one's ever in the theater, but then, I don't know how they are making money.

Image

And lastly, there's the abomination, which charges $15-$20 a seat, but it's one of those fancy, reserved seat places that will bring beer, wine, and cocktails, and a full menu to your giant, cushy recliner. They also get the stuff like Let's Play Two and show old movies during the summer. They suck, but they also have their uses.

Image

I love movie theaters.

_________________
VinylGuy wrote:
Fuck, B was right all along?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of movie theaters
PostPosted: Thu April 30, 2020 2:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Not as great as you think
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 15444
Location: Growing dick, fixing and filing things.
Hardly ever go, won’t miss ‘em.

_________________
PM me for tips on writing a great signature.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of movie theaters
PostPosted: Thu April 30, 2020 4:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 84796
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
I will miss the Alamo Drafthouse if it disappears.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of movie theaters
PostPosted: Thu April 30, 2020 5:06 pm 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed March 02, 2016 3:34 am
Posts: 276
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
i miss the dollar theater :(

This. Saw Pulp Fiction about 5 times and Independence Day about 5 times in dollar theaters back in the day, lol...
But now? It's rare to take the whole family to the movies - when we do - we take advantage of the free AMC membership and try to do $5 Tuesdays. But with kids in school, it's obviously not a very frequent occurrence. So we will occasionally go during the matinee priced show on a Saturday or Sunday. The rare times we pay full price is mommy/daddy date night.
So all that to say - I wouldn't miss the theaters if they went away. I'd rather spend the $20 to stream a brand new release in the comfort of my own home - a lot cheaper than taking a family of 4 and getting concessions too.

_________________
"I don't see things quite the same as I used to...."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of movie theaters
PostPosted: Thu April 30, 2020 5:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 39013
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
I haven’t had a dollar theater in my vicinity for years now. I’d prefer they survive rather than the multiplexes.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of movie theaters
PostPosted: Thu April 30, 2020 5:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 7657
Location: Tristes Tropiques
If I still lived in Vegas I'd deeply miss the local casino theaters, which are lovely insofar as they're always empty but serve alcohol and have huge reclining seats. We never go to the movies in Philly though, it's too much of an ordeal.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of movie theaters
PostPosted: Thu April 30, 2020 5:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 39013
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
How’s the awesome Philly food scene holding up in the pandemic, Mickey?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of movie theaters
PostPosted: Thu April 30, 2020 5:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 68474
DissidentRival4 wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
i miss the dollar theater :(

This. Saw Pulp Fiction about 5 times and Independence Day about 5 times in dollar theaters back in the day, lol...
But now? It's rare to take the whole family to the movies - when we do - we take advantage of the free AMC membership and try to do $5 Tuesdays. But with kids in school, it's obviously not a very frequent occurrence. So we will occasionally go during the matinee priced show on a Saturday or Sunday. The rare times we pay full price is mommy/daddy date night.
So all that to say - I wouldn't miss the theaters if they went away. I'd rather spend the $20 to stream a brand new release in the comfort of my own home - a lot cheaper than taking a family of 4 and getting concessions too.

yeah the $5 tuesdays are nice...we have a theater here that tickets are around $5 no matter the time...they get pretty much everything the amc one does as well

_________________
malice wrote:
that's because you suck too.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of movie theaters
PostPosted: Thu April 30, 2020 5:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 68474
tragabigzanda wrote:
I haven’t had a dollar theater in my vicinity for years now. I’d prefer they survive rather than the multiplexes.

we had one for quite awhile here that got up to about $2...the only catch is that the movies came about four months or so after the normal theater release

_________________
malice wrote:
that's because you suck too.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of movie theaters
PostPosted: Thu April 30, 2020 5:17 pm 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed March 02, 2016 3:34 am
Posts: 276
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Mickey wrote:
If I still lived in Vegas I'd deeply miss the local casino theaters, which are lovely insofar as they're always empty but serve alcohol and have huge reclining seats. We never go to the movies in Philly though, it's too much of an ordeal.

They just recently opened up a theater (about two years ago) that supposedly does this as well. I say "supposedly" because I have yet to see the bar open when we've gone. The best thing about this theater is that we can pre-order the tickets and actually get to choose our seats ahead of time. I do like that aspect a lot.

_________________
"I don't see things quite the same as I used to...."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of movie theaters
PostPosted: Thu April 30, 2020 5:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 39013
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
I haven’t had a dollar theater in my vicinity for years now. I’d prefer they survive rather than the multiplexes.

we had one for quite awhile here that got up to about $2...the only catch is that the movies came about four months or so after the normal theater release

That still sounds great. But I’m more interested in older movies: Hitchcock, Goonies, Reservoir Dogs...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of movie theaters
PostPosted: Thu April 30, 2020 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 7657
Location: Tristes Tropiques
tragabigzanda wrote:
How’s the awesome Philly food scene holding up in the pandemic, Mickey?


It's okay, there's been a lot of rallying around local restaurants so most of the ones in our neighborhood have stayed open via delivery/pick-up and seem to be doing alright. But I can't imagine they're at full staff right now and without margins on alcohol sales I'm not optimistic. We're trying to do our part to put some orders in without doing takeout every night.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of movie theaters
PostPosted: Thu April 30, 2020 5:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 7657
Location: Tristes Tropiques
DissidentRival4 wrote:
Mickey wrote:
If I still lived in Vegas I'd deeply miss the local casino theaters, which are lovely insofar as they're always empty but serve alcohol and have huge reclining seats. We never go to the movies in Philly though, it's too much of an ordeal.

They just recently opened up a theater (about two years ago) that supposedly does this as well. I say "supposedly" because I have yet to see the bar open when we've gone. The best thing about this theater is that we can pre-order the tickets and actually get to choose our seats ahead of time. I do like that aspect a lot.


It's a nice middle ground--I hate the Alamo Drafthouse style places with all the food and the servers, it's too distracting, but the old-style movie theaters really make you wonder what you're paying for when there's no beer and they're less comfortable than your house.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of movie theaters
PostPosted: Thu April 30, 2020 5:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 68474
tragabigzanda wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
I haven’t had a dollar theater in my vicinity for years now. I’d prefer they survive rather than the multiplexes.

we had one for quite awhile here that got up to about $2...the only catch is that the movies came about four months or so after the normal theater release

That still sounds great. But I’m more interested in older movies: Hitchcock, Goonies, Reservoir Dogs...

never heard of any of those

_________________
malice wrote:
that's because you suck too.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of movie theaters
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:11 pm 
Online
User avatar
I Have A Third Nipple
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 18499
Location: Cumberland, RI
This certainly seems like something that's going to have effects felt for a while to come. This was supposed to come out in theaters of October 2021, and (according to the article) Disney was going to make $75 million in distro rights plus ticket sales, and now they're banking on people signing up for their service and forgetting to cancel after the free trial instead.


_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of movie theaters
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Not as great as you think
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 15444
Location: Growing dick, fixing and filing things.
Simple Torture wrote:
Disney was going to make $75 million in distro rights plus ticket sales, and now they're banking on people signing up for their service and forgetting to cancel after the free trial instead.


You can count Mrs. Bam among that group.

_________________
PM me for tips on writing a great signature.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The future of movie theaters
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:23 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Thu November 21, 2013 10:01 pm
Posts: 1976
I just bought this and this and will have my own movie theater in the backyard soon for my friends and family. Best part? No dumb-dumbs allowed! I will miss that popcorn though.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
I mean nothing says libertarian more than talking a lot of shit and then getting your ass kicked in an actual one on one...

Dev wrote:
Clutch rules you dummy.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue November 24, 2020 11:44 am