The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1032 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 52  Next

Rate S/T
5 Stars 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
4 Stars 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
3 Stars 56%  56%  [ 20 ]
2 Stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 Star 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 36
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam (self titled): Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:39 pm 
She / Her

taffer wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
I just heard the Brendan O'Brien mix of this thing

thoughts?

Spoiler: show

what was this meant to show me

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:48 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Looks like Pearl Jam - AOL Sessions - Life Wasted

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:53 pm 
She / Her

you're correct

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:54 pm 
She / Her

it's really squealy

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:00 pm 
AnalLog

Leatherhead wrote:
Is the spotify mix only accessible on spotify? I've asked this before.

This is what i've been asking as well...its kind of useless to me on spotify.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:37 pm 
AnalLog

LetMeSleep wrote:
digster wrote:
The way the instrumental bridge from Marker races into that last verse is probably one of my favorite moments the band has had post-Riot Act.

Phenomenal song hindered by production.

I love it, but it could have been even better. Stip's sugggestion about what Marker could have been like with Josh Evans at the helm..... :bammer:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:46 pm 
AnalLog

RockPusher wrote:
mkay0 wrote:
Is this album great, or do I just love the last big PJ tour? Some of those 2006 shows are absolute fire.

It's a really hard-to-appraise album, because in some ways it has the last vestiges of their earlier sound, while it also has some of the hallmarks of their newer (BS, LB) sound. It still speaks with the earlier language (I think of Severed Hand, Parachutes) and it has that all-important sense of urgency. I was surprised when I did my album score thing that it came out slightly ahead of Riot Act, which I regard as a much steadier album. I think my takeaway is that for me at least, Avocado's strengths are stronger but its weaknesses are weaker.

Really well said. It's hard for me to separate the album from the live shows, partly because S/T made up so much of the setlists and held their own with the rest of the catalogue. On the flip side I saw a few NAIS that brought shows to a halt and sucked the energy out of the room. I've said it other threads on this board, but 5/27/06 was NOT a great show, but when they pulled out Comeback in the first encore it might as well have been Black. The entire crowd felt zoned in and moved by it.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:13 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Hatfield wrote:
RockPusher wrote:
mkay0 wrote:
Is this album great, or do I just love the last big PJ tour? Some of those 2006 shows are absolute fire.

It's a really hard-to-appraise album, because in some ways it has the last vestiges of their earlier sound, while it also has some of the hallmarks of their newer (BS, LB) sound. It still speaks with the earlier language (I think of Severed Hand, Parachutes) and it has that all-important sense of urgency. I was surprised when I did my album score thing that it came out slightly ahead of Riot Act, which I regard as a much steadier album. I think my takeaway is that for me at least, Avocado's strengths are stronger but its weaknesses are weaker.

Really well said. It's hard for me to separate the album from the live shows, partly because S/T made up so much of the setlists and held their own with the rest of the catalogue. On the flip side I saw a few NAIS that brought shows to a halt and sucked the energy out of the room. I've said it other threads on this board, but 5/27/06 was NOT a great show, but when they pulled out Comeback in the first encore it might as well have been Black. The entire crowd felt zoned in and moved by it.

I like this show, and strongly agree with the new material hanging in there with the classics.

Reprise/Wasted
WWS
DtE
Animal
Severed Hand
Corduroy
Marker

Hell of an opening stretch with new and old blending seamlessly

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:58 am 
10Club Complaint Department

PHATJ wrote:
RockPusher wrote:
Has anyone ever made a listenable re-tracking of S/T with those two on it? Seems the 06 spotify could serve as a starting place, but I imagine some kind of re-master would be required on whatever the best versions of Cold Confession and Let It Ride are. I wouldn't want to lose any songs from the album, even though I'm not a fan of Comatose and I really only like the last third of Big Wave. Hmmm... I could probably be convinced on Comatose.

Maybe this?

1. Life Wasted
2. WWS
3. Comatose
4. Severed Hand
5. Marker
6. Parachutes
7. Unemployable
8. Big Wave
9. Cold Confession
10. Let it Ride
11. Army Reserve
12. Come Back
13. Inside Job
14. Wasted Reprise

B-side: Gone

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:47 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I woke up today with this urge to put this one, and fuuuuck i enjoyed it so much. Im looooving this one these days...the Spotify mix is so good.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:33 pm 
AnalLog

Much as I love Cold Confession, the one that I really can’t fathom being left off the album is “Let it Ride.” It’s just such a classic PJ song.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:46 pm 
AnalLog

Anyone care to show Daddy some love by delivering the Spotify mix?
Has anyone found a way to rip it yet?

Can't be arsed to listen to three ads just to hear a lossy version of this thing.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:59 pm 
Rank This Poster

oneway23 wrote:

Can't be arsed to listen to three ads just to hear a lossy version of this thing.

I don't think this has been done yet.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:19 am 
AnalLog

Leatherhead wrote:
oneway23 wrote:

I don't think this has been done yet.

Ah, well...I'll just wallow in the corner & await, then.
Likely going to have to fire this thing up & see what all the to do is about.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Sat November 21, 2020 2:39 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

On my run this morning, gave the 2017 Spotify mix of this album another whirl - I haven’t listened to this album in a while. I gotta say, this was just awesome. I still think I like Gigaton better, but in feel they just seem pretty similar. I think Gigaton does what this album does better, but that doesn’t make this a poor album. It’s just a great rock record top to bottom for me. It doesn’t have the successful experiments or sonic variety in my favorite albums, but damn I could run without a break in the action to largely propulsive rock music (there’s a few slower tracks). Hooray for rock! A rare Pearl Jam album that’s immediately satisfying without sounding overly poppy (I’m looking at you, Backspacer).

PostPosted: Sat November 21, 2020 5:12 pm 
A Return To Form

I actually feel like this and Riot Act are interesting book ends, as one feels like a response to the other. I think Riot Act is probably the more atmospheric of the two, but Avocado is so exhubrant and is so wilful, that it edges out Riot Act.

PostPosted: Sun November 22, 2020 12:21 am 
She / Her

burl jam wrote:
I actually feel like this and Riot Act are interesting book ends, as one feels like a response to the other. I think Riot Act is probably the more atmospheric of the two, but Avocado is so exhubrant and is so wilful, that it edges out Riot Act.

SHUT YOUR MOUTH

PostPosted: Sun November 22, 2020 1:29 am 
AnalLog

liebzz wrote:
On my run this morning, gave the 2017 Spotify mix of this album another whirl - I haven’t listened to this album in a while. I gotta say, this was just awesome. I still think I like Gigaton better, but in feel they just seem pretty similar. I think Gigaton does what this album does better, but that doesn’t make this a poor album. It’s just a great rock record top to bottom for me. It doesn’t have the successful experiments or sonic variety in my favorite albums, but damn I could run without a break in the action to largely propulsive rock music (there’s a few slower tracks). Hooray for rock! A rare Pearl Jam album that’s immediately satisfying without sounding overly poppy (I’m looking at you, Backspacer).

Yeah, I don't like poppy influences in my Pearl Jam.

PostPosted: Sun November 22, 2020 10:57 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

liebzz wrote:

Agree. Im loving this one this year.

PostPosted: Sun November 22, 2020 11:00 pm 
Production Police

I'm surprised people don't love Severed Hand as much as I do. I think it's top-shelf PJ all the way. The fun intro-into-heavy rock groove; the great lyrics; the AMAZING bridge; Ed's voice; and Mike's solo at the end. Seems like most people around here sort of shrug this one off? I was floored when they played it on TV, and it's only gotten better with age.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1032 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 52  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam