The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam's Gigaton in Dolby Atmos (Apple TV, 4/24 - 5/1
PostPosted: Fri April 24, 2020 11:55 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Ms Harmless wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
I tried to get the Apple TV+ app and it said my card number was not valid, lol fuck this shit

You have to apply for and use the Apple credit card

haha! Omg

does this mean we have to merge this whole thread now with PRAMG???

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 12:01 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Josh says the process was very organic. The band is always recording music, doesnt matter if its for the band, solo projects or movie scores.

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 12:02 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i think it’s clear at this point that BOB shaped their ‘late era’ in terrible ways that starved us all of the true creative PJ we know and love

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 12:15 am 
Mind Your Tanners

boy these subtitles are something else. I mean I know Eddie mumbles but I figured a person was transcribing these things.

"(inaudible) Circumstance"

"That Dixon Vixen Viloins"

"Stand back (inaudible)"

"Feel the retrograe all around"

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 12:42 am 
Broken Tamborine

Wasn't Josh suposed to answer fans questions? Did I miss that?

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 2:02 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

96583UP wrote:
i think it’s clear at this point that BOB shaped their ‘late era’ in terrible ways that starved us all of the true creative PJ we know and love

I never heard a loss of creativity, hard work, or focus. I think the band just made some choices a few fans didn't like, and that a bunch of fans did.

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 3:44 am 
Broken Tamborine

Ed's vocals are definitely kicked up in the mix. You can enhance that even further if you crank up your center channel. Mike's guitar seemed a little more forward at times too. I don't have a Dolby Atmos system but it sounded really good in Dolby Digital 5.1 on my mid-range Sony receiver and Yamaha speakers.

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 3:49 am 
Broken Tamborine

Tuolumne wrote:
96583UP wrote:

I never heard a loss of creativity, hard work, or focus. I think the band just made some choices a few fans didn't like, and that a bunch of fans did.

BOB had a major hand in defining the band's album sound during (in my opinion) their greatest era. It's always going to be hard for me to slam the guy. Vs. and Yield especially sound fucking incredible. BS and LB aren't great records but I still like them and I don't think their failings can all be laid at the feet of BOB. The band's heart just wasn't in those albums. I think that affected them more than anything else. If they had better songs on them I doubt people would be complaining about "the production" as much.

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 3:50 am 
Broken Tamborine

B wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
B wrote:
What percentage of the population has this at home?

Who would even WANT a setup like that. I can’t imagine having to walk around all of those speakers — likely with the lights out — just to go piss.

Imagine falling asleep on that couch, and trying to get up to stumble to bed.

Well, I'm assuming you'd fit them into your decor, but how do you even supply power to those ones on the ceiling without calling an electrician?

So, I can't achieve Dolby Atmos level quality, but I can play this on a system with surround sound and it'll be cool, right?

It's the ceiling speakers that really make the difference. I don't live in a space where that would be feasible even if I could afford it!

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 4:01 am 
A Return To Form

Johnny Turner wrote:
Wasn't Josh suposed to answer fans questions? Did I miss that?

It's on their Instagram. Decent convo between Josh and the producer of the videos, who had previously never spoken to each other.

Their IG has the video of it, fortunately minus the chat from the livestream.

The livestream chat was a fucking shitshow, consisting almost entirely of:

1) Brazilian flags.
2) "Where's Eddie?"
3) Brazilian flags. (Who gives a flying fuck where you live?)
4) "When does the music start?"

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 12:17 pm 
She / Her

THAT DIXON VIXEN VIOLINS

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 12:32 pm 
AnalLog

darthvedder81 wrote:
B wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
B wrote:
What percentage of the population has this at home?

Who would even WANT a setup like that. I can’t imagine having to walk around all of those speakers — likely with the lights out — just to go piss.

Imagine falling asleep on that couch, and trying to get up to stumble to bed.

Well, I'm assuming you'd fit them into your decor, but how do you even supply power to those ones on the ceiling without calling an electrician?

So, I can't achieve Dolby Atmos level quality, but I can play this on a system with surround sound and it'll be cool, right?

It's the ceiling speakers that really make the difference. I don't live in a space where that would be feasible even if I could afford it!

This monstrosity setup is no longer really necessary to decode Atmos...Soundbars aplenty have upward firing channels and/or additional channels on the rear wireless speaker for around $450-$500. How it compares to a "full setup", who knows, but, the format is at least reasonably attainable.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 1:21 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Someone said they have other PJ content on there, they were watching SVT?

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 1:28 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Not sure if included with Apple TV+, but I’ve previously bought SVT, Pearl Jam Twenty and The Kids Are Twenty on the Itunes Store, and can watch them on Apple Tv+ as well.

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 1:29 pm 
AnalLog

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Someone said they have other PJ content on there, they were watching SVT?

I see that you can buy SVT & PJ20 on the app, but that's about it

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 1:39 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Oh maybe that was it

PostPosted: Sat April 25, 2020 1:48 pm 
AnalLog

Slightly OT, but, Apple's app offering is so strange. Their TV app is an odd mishmash of links to other apps and their content, old iTunes purchasing options, and a sliver of original content. I thought they were lauded for UX design?

PostPosted: Mon April 27, 2020 12:57 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I have a Dolby Atmos setup and can confirm this sounds real nice. I really hope they release this on blu ray. I’ve got quite a few surround sound albums on blu-ray/DVD-A/SACD already and this would be great to own.

PostPosted: Mon April 27, 2020 2:04 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

oneway23 wrote:
Slightly OT, but, Apple's app offering is so strange. Their TV app is an odd mishmash of links to other apps and their content, old iTunes purchasing options, and a sliver of original content. I thought they were lauded for UX design?

I love their app on apple tv. Can watch prime, hbo, viaplay, sumo, dplay via their app. The last three are local apps here, with various sports and movies. Only netflix and nrk (local app) refuse to have their shows on Apple next.

You can go to separate apps as well on apple tv, but once I got used to the all in one method, separate apps seemed old fashioned. Probably watch less netflix because of this.

There are also all the itunes movies there to buy or rent.

PostPosted: Mon April 27, 2020 2:15 pm 
AnalLog

Anders wrote:
oneway23 wrote:

I love their app on apple tv. Can watch prime, hbo, viaplay, sumo, dplay via their app. The last three are local apps here, with various sports and movies. Only netflix and nrk (local app) refuse to have their shows on Apple next.

You can go to separate apps as well on apple tv, but once I got used to the all in one method, separate apps seemed old fashioned. Probably watch less netflix because of this.

There are also all the itunes movies there to buy or rent.

We can take this elsewhere if there's a thread for Apple or AppleTV, but, if I click on "Clone Wars", for instance, it tells me it's on Disney+, which I then click on the link, and it either downloads Disney+ if I don't have the app, or, opens it if I do...Just feels largely redundant to me when I could skip all that and just open Disney+.

Anyway, I'm using it either on an iPad and/or a Roku TV. What I've described perhaps plays out differently on an AppleTV

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam