The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Wed April 22, 2020 12:32 pm 
Future Drummer

oasisfan35 wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
My preferred 2-CD set/playlist from 1969-1972:

101 Bertha (1972-04-14 Copenhagen)
102 Big River (1972-11-17 Wichita)
103 China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider (1972-03-27 Academy Of Music)
104 Loser (1972-04-24 Dusseldorf)
105 St. Stephen > The Eleven (1968-08-24 Shrine Auditorium)
106 Tennessee Jed (1971-12-07 (E) Felt Forum)
107 Cumberland Blues (1971-04-28 Fillmore East)
108 Box Of Rain (1972-11-17 Wichita)
109 Friend Of The Devil (1972-09-27 Jersey City)
110 Deal (1971-11-17 Albuquerque)
111 Sugaree (1972-05-03 Paris)
201 Dark Star (1970-02-13 Fillmore East)
202 Me And My Uncle (1972-05-11 Rotterdam)
203 Jack Straw (1971-12-07 (E) Felt Forum)
204 The Other One (1969-02-27 Fillmore West)
205 Mississippi Half-step Uptown Toodeloo (1972-09-21 Philadelphia)
206 Brokedown Palace (1971-08-06 Hollywood)
207 Casey Jones (1972-08-27 Veneta)

I'm not familiar with every one of these versions but in general terms I approve of this list. :)

That first disc pretty damn spot on.

Thanks dude! I do like it myself.

PostPosted: Wed April 22, 2020 3:23 pm 
Rank This Poster

Yes.. very good.. the again!!

PostPosted: Wed April 22, 2020 3:23 pm 
Future Drummer

https://vimeo.com/410044085/eadbd3e529

closest we've got to a full version being back up.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Wed April 22, 2020 3:24 pm 
Future Drummer

Lets shatter some perceptions of 1995, shall we?

PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 12:43 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

This is next on the album/band journey, and I want to do this one right. The Grateful Dead to me we’re always a band whose songs were like sketches to be fleshed out live. In that vein, while I want to cover the studio work I also want to splice in live shows too. I haven’t fully figured out how I wanted this to work other than leaning in on the official live releases (Dick’s Picks, Dave’s Picks, Live show releases, live albums). I’d like to, show wise, go contemporaneously with the band, and do it through Spotify since that is the easiest format...so I may be improvising a bit along the way - the mark I think of handling a Grateful Dead journey in the right way. This one may take a while folks...

PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 1:04 pm 
Future Drummer

Someone put together a playlist of all the live releases in chronological order on spotify. If I find it, i'll post it here.

PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 1:07 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
This is next on the album/band journey, and I want to do this one right. The Grateful Dead to me we’re always a band whose songs were like sketches to be fleshed out live. In that vein, while I want to cover the studio work I also want to splice in live shows too. I haven’t fully figured out how I wanted this to work other than leaning in on the official live releases (Dick’s Picks, Dave’s Picks, Live show releases, live albums). I’d like to, show wise, go contemporaneously with the band, and do it through Spotify since that is the easiest format...so I may be improvising a bit along the way - the mark I think of handling a Grateful Dead journey in the right way. This one may take a while folks...

For Anthem & Aoxomoxoa there are 2 different mixes of the album to consider.

PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 1:08 pm 
Future Drummer

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2Iu0L ... tP8KqCIRdw

Pretty much everything live, officially released in chronological order.

PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 1:13 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2Iu0L3OxxS7tAFTrrvnfbF?si=jqgVTdtfQem-tP8KqCIRdw

That’s amazing. I will never get through that. But it will serve as my guide to jumping around so a very huge thank you.

PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 1:14 pm 
Future Drummer

http://www.deaddisc.com/GDFD_Dead_By_Date.htm

This is a great resource too.

PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 1:26 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Grateful Dead - ...and away we go! For the most part, this album is pretty tight and concise. The Golden Road was the song I was most familiar walking in, though this is an album I have heard a few times in advance. That and Beat It Down the Line are both songs that are an easy start, though you get the first real sense of the Dead on Good Morning Little School Girl, a gem on this album that is the first sequence of the band stretching out, and one of my favorites here. That distinction though has to go two-fold: Morning Dew and the epic album closer Viola Lee Blues - which is practically the reason I wanted to explore the Grateful Dead further. A nice strong start.

PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 1:53 pm 
Future Drummer

Since this thread was bumped, why not take a listen to my favorite Shakedown of all time, from 35 years ago today.

https://archive.org/details/gd85-06-30. ... -d1t02.shn

PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 3:53 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Download Series Volume 6: Carousel Ballroom, San Francisco, CA 3/17/68 - this download is of the last song off the first set, Turn On Your Lovelight (an epic 16 and a half minute version of a song I have always loved of theirs), followed by the second set that contains much of what would be on Anthem of the Sun. New Potato Caboose, and The Eleven —> Caution are what really caught me here: no live Dead listening experience comes without a bit of zoning out and just sort of having this interplay sort of sink in by osmosis - and The Eleven —> Caution run is nearly 30 minutes of continuous interplay with a brief respite in there somewhere with vocals. What you can hear in this performance is sort of the live introduction in this journey to a master jazz sense of fluidity and collective inspiration in the moment. There’ll be plenty of these to come but this is what makes them essential listening. Just make sure you’ve got nowhere to be.

Set list heard: Turn On Your Love Light (end first set) 2nd set - That’s It For the Other One, New Potato Caboose, China Cat Sunflower, The Eleven, Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks), Feedback

PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 4:43 pm 
Rank This Poster

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2Iu0L3OxxS7tAFTrrvnfbF?si=jqgVTdtfQem-tP8KqCIRdw

Followed this not too long ago.. its nuts like 500 hours of tunes

PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 5:35 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Anthem of the Sun - (50th Anniversary Edition)

Part 1 - the 1968 mix

I am going to handle this one in pieces, a tribute in a sense to an album that is splicing of constant improvisation. This album in whole strangely acts as a single unit - you can tell each song apart for the most part since those are the only really abrupt transitions, but its spliced together elements push every conceivable rock music boundary places it all together in one massive musical movement. The best comparison i can make for this is sort of like listening to Pink Floyd’s Meddle but instead of their attention to planning every single second, this feels looser and more improvised. There’s some wild turns that this album takes in feedback loops and broken structures, particularly on That’s It For the Other One abs Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks). New Potato Caboose is maybe the only track that keeps a focused center and is the most Dead-like in terms of expectations. The winning track though for me was Alligator, which the meandering seemed to really find interesting homes and they seemed to loop back successfully to the song’s core while not sparing the experimentation. All in all, a really good album that you need to be in the right place with no expectations. A journey unto itself.

PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 6:34 pm 
tl;dr

Awesome, liebzz. I love Anthem of the Sun -- when Garcia's guitar comes back in after the drum solo in "Alligator" is one of my favorite moments in the entire Dead catalog.

Can't imagine there's a right way to incorporate the live stuff in, just make sure you do somehow. My personal recommendation, and I'll leave it to one, is not to miss Dick's Picks 12. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 9:36 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Anthem of the Sun - Part 2: the 1971 remix

I will admit at first blush, there doesn’t seem to be a world of difference between this version and the original, save for what seems like a rougher mix to draw out the splices where the material came from a different source. You can sort of hear where this album operates as a mosaic collage of different studio and live recordings because you can hear the transitions, even if it still feels like one song. In that regard, it’s a pretty cool version to listen to for the almost scientific effect - almost like being behind the scenes. I would say I might prefer the former version for casual listening, but both have their own merits in that regard. Having now kicked through the live show and two versions of this album I feel like I was witness to a mad scientist performing his work.

PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 10:57 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:

I will admit at first blush, there doesn’t seem to be a world of difference between this version and the original.

They are entirely different. Different panning, different levels, different EQ...

The biggest difference with the remix is that parts of it sound odd and lo-fi where it sounded prefectly fine on the original mix. This might be why the band realized they fucked up by remixing it and reverted back to the original mix for the CD age.

Aoxomoxoa is the oppositie situation. The original is very scrappy and lo-fi and the remix a lot more professional sounding. So the band stuck with the remix, but opinion is split down the middle as to which is better.

PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 11:24 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
liebzz wrote:

I will admit at first blush, there doesn’t seem to be a world of difference between this version and the original.

They are entirely different. Different panning, different levels, different EQ...

The biggest difference with the remix is that parts of it sound odd and lo-fi where it sounded prefectly fine on the original mix. This might be why the band realized they fucked up by remixing it and reverted back to the original mix for the CD age.

Aoxomoxoa is the oppositie situation. The original is very scrappy and lo-fi and the remix a lot more professional sounding. So the band stuck with the remix, but opinion is split down the middle as to which is better.

I was half zoned out at points but yes I caught similar things. I guess where some see a world of difference I think it was a little more subtle - at least on Spotify.

PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2020 1:57 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Anthem of the Sun ((50th Anniversary Edition) Part 3

Live at Winterland - the last piece of this expanded Anthem of the Sun is selections from Winterland in 1967. These selections are really phenomenal. Morning Dew feels like a perfect live opener here setting the table. New Potato Caboose here is easily the best I have heard it yet, with some real epic turns. It Hurts Me Too is excellent, Turn On Your Lovelight feels definitive though not complete, and That’s It For the Other One, a song I felt on the album is a bit too disjointed is done perfectly here - an aha moment for this song for me. I heard this album before going into this sort of extended stay (2 live compilations and 2 mixes of the album), and I went from not caring about it to really feeling like I am connecting more with it conceptually.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 42  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands