The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Tue March 31, 2020 7:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 13083
Location: Oslo, Norway
Good post. The season just gets sillier the more you think about it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Tue March 31, 2020 9:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Major Dude
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 24068
Location: Where everybody knows your name
bada wrote:
None of it made sense.

Spoiler: show
The Romulans are unable to relocate its people without help. They are a stand ins for refugees in real life I guess??? Except the Romulan Star Empire is even more advanced than Starfleet and it's more like if Americans were asking help from Mexico. Starfleet is gonna help!

Then the Romulans decide to frame synths for the destruction of the shipyards because its double secret police hate synths. The Romulans believe synths will bring about the end of all biological life because of a message left from an ancient civilization. This HAPPENED in the past and that super evolved synth race is just waiting to find more synths and kill all biological life. The super double secret Romulans never cared about Data during TNG but....ok. No thought to maybe framing the synths after Starfleet helps with the evacuation? It's all Starfleet's fault anyways because ???

Starfleet bans synths and don't follow through on saving the Romulans. Picard quits. We meet a group of Romulans Picard saved and they are super pissed because he didn't do enough for them besides saving their lives. They sit around a planet full of resources and with the technology for a planetary defense shield and weapons system in a bar with nothing to do because Picard abandoned them. No talk of you know where is the ROMULAN STAR EMPIRE GOVERNMENT! This after several scenes of people telling Picard to stfu and he is a bad guy because he's....mansplaining too much and needs to check his saved the day countless times privilege? Starfleet and Picard bad.

Too reinforce how bad Starfleet is for banning synths we meet Riker and Troi whose son died because the ban on synths meant he couldn't get a cure for a disease that could be fixed from synth [technobabble]. We are supposed to believe that Riker and Troi and all their friends from TNG accepted this ban and let the kid die. No getting the band back together to track Data parts or find any of the synth scientist that disappeared after the ban. Nope sorry kid you dead. Picard was too busy with his grapes. Riker had pizza to make! All this to reinforce Starfleet was bad for not helping the Romulans and bad for banning synths.

So after several episodes of Seven of Nine and warrior monk buddy killing everyone they meet (no setting phasers to stun in Nu Trek) Picard saves Data's "daughter" and gets her back home. She immediately sets a beacon to bring the super evolved synths to kill everybody. :shock: So the Romulans were right!? No WRONG!!!!! because she changes her mind after Picard gets himself killed trying to save her and turns off the beacon closing a portal cutting off robot Cthulhu. Except the super evolved Cthulhu knows where we are now. The genie is out of the bottle but whatevs the Romulans and Starfleet agree that it will all workout and go home. The synth ban is lifted and we just hope none of them every get mad and call their big brothers with the tentacles.

Then we get golem Picard reconstructed from his memories. I suppose they could have done the same for Data but he wants to die to be more human. Not 100 years from now right NOW. Further adventures from golem (still old) Picard and his crew of uninteresting killers next year.


You left out the out-of-nowhere budding romance between Raffi and 7of 9.

_________________
Let me tell you, Homer Simpson is cock of nothing!
- C. Montgomery Burns


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Tue March 31, 2020 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:53 pm
Posts: 11192
wease wrote:
bada wrote:
None of it made sense.

Spoiler: show
The Romulans are unable to relocate its people without help. They are a stand ins for refugees in real life I guess??? Except the Romulan Star Empire is even more advanced than Starfleet and it's more like if Americans were asking help from Mexico. Starfleet is gonna help!

Then the Romulans decide to frame synths for the destruction of the shipyards because its double secret police hate synths. The Romulans believe synths will bring about the end of all biological life because of a message left from an ancient civilization. This HAPPENED in the past and that super evolved synth race is just waiting to find more synths and kill all biological life. The super double secret Romulans never cared about Data during TNG but....ok. No thought to maybe framing the synths after Starfleet helps with the evacuation? It's all Starfleet's fault anyways because ???

Starfleet bans synths and don't follow through on saving the Romulans. Picard quits. We meet a group of Romulans Picard saved and they are super pissed because he didn't do enough for them besides saving their lives. They sit around a planet full of resources and with the technology for a planetary defense shield and weapons system in a bar with nothing to do because Picard abandoned them. No talk of you know where is the ROMULAN STAR EMPIRE GOVERNMENT! This after several scenes of people telling Picard to stfu and he is a bad guy because he's....mansplaining too much and needs to check his saved the day countless times privilege? Starfleet and Picard bad.

Too reinforce how bad Starfleet is for banning synths we meet Riker and Troi whose son died because the ban on synths meant he couldn't get a cure for a disease that could be fixed from synth [technobabble]. We are supposed to believe that Riker and Troi and all their friends from TNG accepted this ban and let the kid die. No getting the band back together to track Data parts or find any of the synth scientist that disappeared after the ban. Nope sorry kid you dead. Picard was too busy with his grapes. Riker had pizza to make! All this to reinforce Starfleet was bad for not helping the Romulans and bad for banning synths.

So after several episodes of Seven of Nine and warrior monk buddy killing everyone they meet (no setting phasers to stun in Nu Trek) Picard saves Data's "daughter" and gets her back home. She immediately sets a beacon to bring the super evolved synths to kill everybody. :shock: So the Romulans were right!? No WRONG!!!!! because she changes her mind after Picard gets himself killed trying to save her and turns off the beacon closing a portal cutting off robot Cthulhu. Except the super evolved Cthulhu knows where we are now. The genie is out of the bottle but whatevs the Romulans and Starfleet agree that it will all workout and go home. The synth ban is lifted and we just hope none of them every get mad and call their big brothers with the tentacles.

Then we get golem Picard reconstructed from his memories. I suppose they could have done the same for Data but he wants to die to be more human. Not 100 years from now right NOW. Further adventures from golem (still old) Picard and his crew of uninteresting killers next year.


You left out the out-of-nowhere budding romance between Raffi and 7of 9.


I left out a lot. Like how a creative team that praises themselves for their SJW credentials wrote the only black character on the show as a deadbeat mom with a drug problem.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Tue March 31, 2020 11:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Major Dude
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 24068
Location: Where everybody knows your name
bada wrote:
wease wrote:
bada wrote:
None of it made sense.

Spoiler: show
The Romulans are unable to relocate its people without help. They are a stand ins for refugees in real life I guess??? Except the Romulan Star Empire is even more advanced than Starfleet and it's more like if Americans were asking help from Mexico. Starfleet is gonna help!

Then the Romulans decide to frame synths for the destruction of the shipyards because its double secret police hate synths. The Romulans believe synths will bring about the end of all biological life because of a message left from an ancient civilization. This HAPPENED in the past and that super evolved synth race is just waiting to find more synths and kill all biological life. The super double secret Romulans never cared about Data during TNG but....ok. No thought to maybe framing the synths after Starfleet helps with the evacuation? It's all Starfleet's fault anyways because ???

Starfleet bans synths and don't follow through on saving the Romulans. Picard quits. We meet a group of Romulans Picard saved and they are super pissed because he didn't do enough for them besides saving their lives. They sit around a planet full of resources and with the technology for a planetary defense shield and weapons system in a bar with nothing to do because Picard abandoned them. No talk of you know where is the ROMULAN STAR EMPIRE GOVERNMENT! This after several scenes of people telling Picard to stfu and he is a bad guy because he's....mansplaining too much and needs to check his saved the day countless times privilege? Starfleet and Picard bad.

Too reinforce how bad Starfleet is for banning synths we meet Riker and Troi whose son died because the ban on synths meant he couldn't get a cure for a disease that could be fixed from synth [technobabble]. We are supposed to believe that Riker and Troi and all their friends from TNG accepted this ban and let the kid die. No getting the band back together to track Data parts or find any of the synth scientist that disappeared after the ban. Nope sorry kid you dead. Picard was too busy with his grapes. Riker had pizza to make! All this to reinforce Starfleet was bad for not helping the Romulans and bad for banning synths.

So after several episodes of Seven of Nine and warrior monk buddy killing everyone they meet (no setting phasers to stun in Nu Trek) Picard saves Data's "daughter" and gets her back home. She immediately sets a beacon to bring the super evolved synths to kill everybody. :shock: So the Romulans were right!? No WRONG!!!!! because she changes her mind after Picard gets himself killed trying to save her and turns off the beacon closing a portal cutting off robot Cthulhu. Except the super evolved Cthulhu knows where we are now. The genie is out of the bottle but whatevs the Romulans and Starfleet agree that it will all workout and go home. The synth ban is lifted and we just hope none of them every get mad and call their big brothers with the tentacles.

Then we get golem Picard reconstructed from his memories. I suppose they could have done the same for Data but he wants to die to be more human. Not 100 years from now right NOW. Further adventures from golem (still old) Picard and his crew of uninteresting killers next year.


You left out the out-of-nowhere budding romance between Raffi and 7of 9.


I left out a lot. Like how a creative team that praises themselves for their SJW credentials wrote the only black character on the show as a deadbeat mom with a drug problem.

Word

_________________
Let me tell you, Homer Simpson is cock of nothing!
- C. Montgomery Burns


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Wed April 01, 2020 3:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:57 am
Posts: 642
Was hoping to see the entire TNG cast surrounding Data and holding his hand in
Spoiler: show
his holodeck fabricated death palace spot
, especially since we know that
Spoiler: show
Michael Dorn & LeVar Burton
were seen in on set photos, or, at the very least Geordi, since he was actually Data's closest confidant (not Picard, as this show struggled so hard to get us to believe).

_________________
We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Wed April 01, 2020 3:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 13083
Location: Oslo, Norway
More of the TNG cast would be good. Every scene they were in got better.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Wed April 01, 2020 3:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:57 am
Posts: 642
Anders wrote:
More of the TNG cast would be good. Every scene they were in got better.


Therein lies the biggest problem with this show going forward. They acted as though the main cast had earned or achieved some credibility in our hearts and minds by the end of the finale, but, all they did was reinforce how much I wanted to see more of TNG cast. That's one of the biggest problems with using nostalgia to artificially prop up your show when it's convenient, because now we're left with that horrid cast, and not enough was done to establish why we should like them. As a group, I find them largely unlikable.

_________________
We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Wed April 01, 2020 3:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 13083
Location: Oslo, Norway
Indeed. They really were very unlikable. I liked the holograms, but they were just secondary characters at best.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Wed April 01, 2020 3:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:57 am
Posts: 642
Anders wrote:
Indeed. They really were very unlikable. I liked the holograms, but they were just secondary characters at best.


That actor showed a lot of talent in portraying them, and the concept is decent in general (they even explained why they all look like Rios) but, I did not like how they played the scene with the five of them sitting around being interrogated by Raffi for comedy.

_________________
We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Wed April 08, 2020 10:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Calibrating
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 84143
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
Finally giving this a whirl. 2 eps in. :luv:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Fri April 10, 2020 4:05 am 
Offline
User avatar
Calibrating
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 84143
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
This thing is great!

I'm through the first six and I'm completely in love.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Fri April 10, 2020 6:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Calibrating
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 84143
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
Ep 7 is amazing. That was pitch perfect.

For years I've thought that the show I wanted was the Picard show. Turns out what I really want more than anything is the Troi/Riker gardening and home cooking show!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Sat April 11, 2020 3:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
Calibrating
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 84143
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
That finale was absolute perfection. In this era of money grabs and reboots, there hasn't been anything so true, faithful, and pure to the original intention. I'm still crying and I think I will be for a while.

Elegant. Profound. Human. I'm so sad Gene didn't live to see this perfect execution of his vision.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Sat April 11, 2020 3:20 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 42229
Location: 6000 feet beyond man and time.
Someone text Joe and tell him his account was hacked by Alex Kurtzman.

_________________
verily, if life had no sense, and had I to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me also.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Sat April 11, 2020 3:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
Calibrating
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 84143
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
BurtReynolds wrote:
Someone text Joe and tell him his account was hacked by Alex Kurtzman.

:lol:

That dude got fired from the show. I don't imagine he likes the finale at all.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Sat April 11, 2020 2:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:53 pm
Posts: 11192
I can say without any doubt that Gene would have hated Picard. Not to imply you are wrong for liking it but yeah that wasn't his Star Trek.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Sat April 11, 2020 2:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Calibrating
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 84143
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
bada wrote:
I can say without any doubt that Gene would have hated Picard. Not to imply you are wrong for liking it but yeah that wasn't his Star Trek.

I'm talking specifically about the finale. The themes/message and wrap up of the finale. Obviously, he had issues with TNG and on. And there's a lot about Picard that he would have hated and disowned. But where it lands, what the final two hours end up being about gets to the heart of his dream/vision better than almost any Star Trek I've seen.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Sat April 11, 2020 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:53 pm
Posts: 11192
I'm thinking about how to reply. I could go on and on about everything wrong with the finale but....you love it....so why would I try to convince you otherwise. I'm glad you loved it buddy!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Sat April 11, 2020 2:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Calibrating
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 84143
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
bada wrote:
I'm thinking about how to reply. I could go on and on about everything wrong with the finale but....you love it....so why would I try to convince you otherwise. I'm glad you loved it buddy!

Go for it! I'd love to hear your thoughts. I won't take it personally or see it as you trying to undermine my joy. What were you gonna say?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Sat April 11, 2020 2:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Calibrating
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 84143
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
bada wrote:
I'm thinking about how to reply. I could go on and on about everything wrong with the finale but....you love it....so why would I try to convince you otherwise. I'm glad you loved it buddy!

Go for it! I'd love to hear your thoughts. I won't take it personally or see it as you trying to undermine my joy. What were you gonna say?


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
It is currently Sun September 27, 2020 4:17 pm