The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 363 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Sun March 15, 2020 3:24 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Lovin all the Easter eggs they throw into each episode. The Marta Batanides reference was old school.

PostPosted: Sun March 15, 2020 2:22 pm 
AnalLog

wease wrote:
Obviously, you don’t understand it.

:mrgreen:

They should make me the forty-third producer on this show, since, unlike the other forty-two, I recognize that there is a distinction between The Federation & Starfleet.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Sun March 15, 2020 2:38 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

oneway23 wrote:
wease wrote:

They should make me the forty-third producer on this show, since, unlike the other forty-two, I recognize that there is a distinction between The Federation & Starfleet.

I thought about that funny enough

I took it to mean star fleet had kinda been fully militarized or had taken over after the thing on Mars?

PostPosted: Sun March 15, 2020 2:50 pm 
AnalLog

dimejinky99 wrote:
oneway23 wrote:
wease wrote:

I thought about that funny enough

I took it to mean star fleet had kinda been fully militarized or had taken over after the thing on Mars?

Sure, but, Starfleet is essentially the Navy of the Federation. Where is The Federation in this show? Why hasn't it, with its hundreds of member planets, of various species, launched any kind of investigation into the Mars attack? Why have we seen nothing of Starfleet's slide into xenophobia & racism in terms of flashbacks? I mean, fine, the Mars attack was a flashpoint event, but, this type of isolationism is usually a slippery slope.

I could pick nits all day, but, the biggest issue I have is that you have some unbelievably accomplished writers on this staff, and it all just feels so slapped together. I just can't believe the execution here. :shake:

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

Last edited by oneway23 on Sun March 15, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun March 15, 2020 2:52 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Probably all changed into like an empire structure after mars. Who knows

PostPosted: Sun March 15, 2020 2:56 pm 
AnalLog

dimejinky99 wrote:
Probably all changed into like an empire structure after mars. Who knows

It's not my intention to kill the show for folks who're enjoying it....It's great to spend time w/ Patrick Stewart, of course, and seeing
Spoiler: show
Riker & Troy
last week was fantastic, as well

PostPosted: Sat March 21, 2020 5:08 am 
Mind Your Tanners

That cube coming through the conduit was pretty great.
Fun easter egg: they played the theme to Voyager when Seven appeared after the crash.

And the callback to JL's condition was expected...but the severity is much worse than it was in the "All Good Things" on TNG.

Great to see Brent Spinner back too.

PostPosted: Sat March 21, 2020 7:30 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Struggling to motivate myself to continue this, but will finish the season.

PostPosted: Mon March 23, 2020 5:46 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

A small marathon this evening to finish this show. Final episode this week.

PostPosted: Tue March 24, 2020 3:50 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

At least the Riker/Troi episode was good.

PostPosted: Fri March 27, 2020 3:38 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Mehhhhhh, they projected that pretty hard in the last episode. Super predictable

PostPosted: Sat March 28, 2020 8:00 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Yeah I was hoping
Q
would have been the deus ex machina.

PostPosted: Sat March 28, 2020 11:20 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

"The Picard maneuvre!!....wait, that's already a thing."...good one.

Riker's threat to fire on the Romulans was poorly written. Like it was out of some shit Michael Bay movie.
And what was with the copy/paste ships when Starfleet showed up? No variety like we've seen in every other series. And no registry numbers on any. Budget musta gotten blown in that previous ep.

Wtf was that Handwaviumeter they got to fix the ship? Dumb as hell.

And Comander Oh's repeated order to sterilize the planet....when she coulda done it several times already. 4 to be exact.

Picard and Data were saying goodbye, that was the closure we needed from Nemesis. Glad they did it.
For some reason, hearing Data just say "Goodbye Captain" got to me.

PostPosted: Mon March 30, 2020 5:15 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Thev show had some good moments, but all in all felt like a missed chance of creating something really special.

Watching the last episode now.

PostPosted: Mon March 30, 2020 5:24 pm 

The more I think about this show the less sense it all makes.

PostPosted: Mon March 30, 2020 7:02 pm 
AnalLog

I tried so hard to love it, but overall it was pretty meh. Other than Picard & Rios I thought the main casts’ acting was horrifically bad. That said, the final 30 minutes or so of the finale was fantastic. Obvious that the Riker/Picard & Data/Picard scenes would be the best, but they really did deliver.

Overall season: 6/10, last half of finale: 9.5/10.

Will probably get back on the horse for season 2 but likely with a shorter leash.

PostPosted: Mon March 30, 2020 11:03 pm 
Major Dude

swan wrote:
I tried so hard to love it, but overall it was pretty meh. Other than Picard & Rios I thought the main casts’ acting was horrifically bad. That said, the final 30 minutes or so of the finale was fantastic. Obvious that the Riker/Picard & Data/Picard scenes would be the best, but they really did deliver.

Overall season: 6/10, last half of finale: 9.5/10.

Will probably get back on the horse for season 2 but likely with a shorter leash.

Pretty fair assessment.

Interesting that 7 and Raffi are coupled up at the end.

PostPosted: Mon March 30, 2020 11:08 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

That made no sense whatsoever. They've had little to no interaction and just like that, lets hold hands.

PostPosted: Tue March 31, 2020 12:22 am 
Major Dude

Stickman wrote:
That made no sense whatsoever. They've had little to no interaction and just like that, lets hold hands.

Agreed

PostPosted: Tue March 31, 2020 7:47 pm 

None of it made sense.

The Romulans are unable to relocate its people without help. They are a stand ins for refugees in real life I guess??? Except the Romulan Star Empire is even more advanced than Starfleet and it's more like if Americans were asking help from Mexico. Starfleet is gonna help!

Then the Romulans decide to frame synths for the destruction of the shipyards because its double secret police hate synths. The Romulans believe synths will bring about the end of all biological life because of a message left from an ancient civilization. This HAPPENED in the past and that super evolved synth race is just waiting to find more synths and kill all biological life. The super double secret Romulans never cared about Data during TNG but....ok. No thought to maybe framing the synths after Starfleet helps with the evacuation? It's all Starfleet's fault anyways because ???

Starfleet bans synths and don't follow through on saving the Romulans. Picard quits. We meet a group of Romulans Picard saved and they are super pissed because he didn't do enough for them besides saving their lives. They sit around a planet full of resources and with the technology for a planetary defense shield and weapons system in a bar with nothing to do because Picard abandoned them. No talk of you know where is the ROMULAN STAR EMPIRE GOVERNMENT! This after several scenes of people telling Picard to stfu and he is a bad guy because he's....mansplaining too much and needs to check his saved the day countless times privilege? Starfleet and Picard bad.

Too reinforce how bad Starfleet is for banning synths we meet Riker and Troi whose son died because the ban on synths meant he couldn't get a cure for a disease that could be fixed from synth [technobabble]. We are supposed to believe that Riker and Troi and all their friends from TNG accepted this ban and let the kid die. No getting the band back together to track Data parts or find any of the synth scientist that disappeared after the ban. Nope sorry kid you dead. Picard was too busy with his grapes. Riker had pizza to make! All this to reinforce Starfleet was bad for not helping the Romulans and bad for banning synths.

So after several episodes of Seven of Nine and warrior monk buddy killing everyone they meet (no setting phasers to stun in Nu Trek) Picard saves Data's "daughter" and gets her back home. She immediately sets a beacon to bring the super evolved synths to kill everybody. :shock: So the Romulans were right!? No WRONG!!!!! because she changes her mind after Picard gets himself killed trying to save her and turns off the beacon closing a portal cutting off robot Cthulhu. Except the super evolved Cthulhu knows where we are now. The genie is out of the bottle but whatevs the Romulans and Starfleet agree that it will all workout and go home. The synth ban is lifted and we just hope none of them every get mad and call their big brothers with the tentacles.

Then we get golem Picard reconstructed from his memories. I suppose they could have done the same for Data but he wants to die to be more human. Not 100 years from now right NOW. Further adventures from golem (still old) Picard and his crew of uninteresting killers next year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 363 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment