The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post subject: Which album improves the most in a live setting?
PostPosted: Thu March 19, 2020 3:26 am 
Banned from the Pit

Which album improves the most in a live setting?

I think Avocado sees the most improvement live. I hardly ever listen to the studio version but I LOVE the live recordings, particularly from 2006. Part of that may be due to me getting into the band around the release of Imagine in Cornice and the Gorge box set.

I get the “dad rock” label of the studio album, but man those songs catch on fire live on that 06 tour. They’re just so intense. Not a fan of some of the later performances of these songs mostly due to the songs being down-tuned, which makes it easier for Eddie to sing, but also makes his voice sound more relaxed and thereby zaps some of the intensity of the song, see any 2008-present version of Life Wasted.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Which album improves the most in a live setting?
PostPosted: Thu March 19, 2020 11:12 am 
Rank This Poster

s/t was my first thought, but i think i listen to the first 3 records exclusively live at this point.

PostPosted: Thu March 19, 2020 12:21 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

S/T has a lot of songs that are really great live. Life Wasted, WWS, Comatose, Severed Hand, Marker, Unemployable, and Army Reserve are all better live than in studio, in my opinion. Parachutes is the only one I like better from the studio, and the others (Gone, Come Back, Inside Job, Big Wave) aren't really favorites but I guess are decent live.

PostPosted: Fri March 20, 2020 1:47 pm 
Rank This Poster

its ten. between the european tour, unplugged and atlanta 1994, i'm pretty sure i can find a live version of every song that is better than the album. i know its popular to hate on ed here, but early in their career he was one of the best rock n roll singers ever. he never had the range of someone like freddy mercury, but he could move mountains with his intensity early on. the extra vocal ad libs on songs like once, why go, the end of black, garden, oceans were what initially hooked me i think. when i sing these songs in my head, i sing the live versions.

PostPosted: Fri March 20, 2020 1:59 pm 
The Master

warehouse wrote:
its ten. between the european tour, unplugged and atlanta 1994, i'm pretty sure i can find a live version of every song that is better than the album. i know its popular to hate on ed here, but early in their career he was one of the best rock n roll singers ever. he never had the range of someone like freddy mercury, but he could move mountains with his intensity early on. the extra vocal ad libs on songs like once, why go, the end of black, garden, oceans were what initially hooked me i think. when i sing these songs in my head, i sing the live versions.

His 1991-2006 run is pretty remarkable.

PostPosted: Thu March 26, 2020 6:31 pm 
Rank This Poster

warehouse wrote:

I agree with Ten.

PostPosted: Thu March 26, 2020 6:33 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I would say Ten and Avocado for sure.

PostPosted: Fri March 27, 2020 12:43 am 
Future Drummer

Binaural by far. I only like some of the songs live. Grievance is meh on the CD, and a great live song.

PostPosted: Fri March 27, 2020 1:05 am 
The Master

S/T and I don't think it is close

PostPosted: Fri March 27, 2020 11:19 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

mikejasond wrote:
Binaural by far. I only like some of the songs live. Grievance is meh on the CD, and a great live song.

the rockers do. songs like sleight of hand and of the girl not so much.

PostPosted: Fri March 27, 2020 9:04 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Leatherhead wrote:
warehouse wrote:

I agree with Ten.

+1
I hated Ten once I bought a $30 bootleg CD from the local used CD store back in the day, LOL. Honestly, I was disappointed with Ten from the get go. I loved the video for Evenflow and when I got the tape (yes, tape 8-) ), of it I couldn't wait to hear it. Low and behold, was not the same version and I was so bummed. Then I found the CD single of Alive and it had the video version of it on it and all was right with the world again. That and I was introduced to Wash and Dirty Frank as well. Good times.....

PostPosted: Sat March 28, 2020 3:42 am 
Banned from the Pit

mikejasond wrote:

I agree, every song on Binaural is better live to me.

PostPosted: Sat March 28, 2020 3:46 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

No one has said Vs., and I think that's the knee-jerk answer for me. I might have to think about it more. But what comes to mind are things like the 2000-era RVMs, the chilling sing-alongs to Indifference, how raw and unhinged songs like Animal and Go can sound when the band is really on, the fucking maniac song Blood used to become back in the day. I don't know if this all holds true nowadays (Small Town, for sure, has gotten worse over the years, I think) but over the length of the band's career I think it's about right.

PostPosted: Sat March 28, 2020 11:36 am 
Rank This Poster

DissidentRival4 wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
warehouse wrote:

I agree with Ten.

+1
I hated Ten once I bought a $30 bootleg CD from the local used CD store back in the day, LOL. Honestly, I was disappointed with Ten from the get go. I loved the video for Evenflow and when I got the tape (yes, tape 8-) ), of it I couldn't wait to hear it. Low and behold, was not the same version and I was so bummed. Then I found the CD single of Alive and it had the video version of it on it and all was right with the world again. That and I was introduced to Wash and Dirty Frank as well. Good times.....

i used to love spending $30 on live bootlegs back in the day lol

PostPosted: Sat March 28, 2020 3:35 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

dogbelly wrote:
mikejasond wrote:

I agree, every song on Binaural is better live to me.

Third vote from me here. Some songs are just entirely skippable on the album, and are among my favorites live. Insignificance in particular is probably the song with the biggest disparity between album and live for me.

PostPosted: Sat March 28, 2020 3:35 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Simple Torture wrote:
No one has said Vs., and I think that's the knee-jerk answer for me. I might have to think about it more. But what comes to mind are things like the 2000-era RVMs, the chilling sing-alongs to Indifference, how raw and unhinged songs like Animal and Go can sound when the band is really on, the fucking maniac song Blood used to become back in the day. I don't know if this all holds true nowadays (Small Town, for sure, has gotten worse over the years, I think) but over the length of the band's career I think it's about right.

I'd argue that Vs did the best job of recording what the band actually sounded like live at the time.

PostPosted: Sun March 29, 2020 2:05 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I think S/T probably because the sound is so off on the actual album, but I’d like to point out that much of Riot Act came alive in that ‘03 world tour. Comparatively the album sounds muted even if it is still great on its own. I saw the most improvement there.

PostPosted: Thu April 02, 2020 11:30 am 
A Return To Form

I agree with S/T (LW and SH are great songs people) and the rockier tracks from Binaural (though the studio headphone experience is fantastic on those slow ones). I also rarely listen to ten-VS-Vitalogy any more. Exclusively live.

After that no code and yield do get some time on the turn table so. So yeah.

PostPosted: Tue April 14, 2020 4:09 am 
Future Drummer

Will be really interesting to hear Gigaton live. I think Gigaton is the first album that properly captures the band's live energy on a studio album.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live