The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210 ... 278  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Vinyl Thread: Still Listen On Wax, Don't Use The CD
PostPosted: Sun March 15, 2020 11:07 pm 
The Master

PostPosted: Mon March 16, 2020 1:37 am 
Future Drummer

Is that the RSD version of Odds & Sods?

PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2020 11:52 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Those are some excellent records.

PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2020 2:13 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Simple Torture wrote:
Not a bootleg, no, as it's pressed and released by the label--a bootleg would be an unauthorized pressing, which you do see from time-to-time. The general "it-is-known" in the vinyl world is that color pressings on the whole don't sound as good as black vinyl, but I don't know enough to explain why. Of course, you can always get a bum black pressing. Best to read reviews, check and see where and how an album was mastered (or re-mastered), and shop around for deals.

Discogs can be helpful here on a number of fronts. If something is a bootleg, they will not allow it to be sold on their marketplace (check out this blue bootleg of Avocado: https://www.discogs.com/Pearl-Jam-Pearl ... se/5623372). It can also help you determine if a limited release is really that limited (there are actually two pressings of Pinkerton on snowy-white vinyl, one from 2016 and one from 2018, so snatcher's comment about a false sense of scarcity is really x2). And when you do find what's considered the best pressing (like the MoFi reissue, which has lots of glowing reviews), you can often find a good deal.

I don't understand how you found all this info on discogs, but I was really happy with the MoFi Pinkerton. Do it again for Nirvana's In Utero, please.

PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2020 2:17 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

B wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Not a bootleg, no, as it's pressed and released by the label--a bootleg would be an unauthorized pressing, which you do see from time-to-time. The general "it-is-known" in the vinyl world is that color pressings on the whole don't sound as good as black vinyl, but I don't know enough to explain why. Of course, you can always get a bum black pressing. Best to read reviews, check and see where and how an album was mastered (or re-mastered), and shop around for deals.

Discogs can be helpful here on a number of fronts. If something is a bootleg, they will not allow it to be sold on their marketplace (check out this blue bootleg of Avocado: https://www.discogs.com/Pearl-Jam-Pearl ... se/5623372). It can also help you determine if a limited release is really that limited (there are actually two pressings of Pinkerton on snowy-white vinyl, one from 2016 and one from 2018, so snatcher's comment about a false sense of scarcity is really x2). And when you do find what's considered the best pressing (like the MoFi reissue, which has lots of glowing reviews), you can often find a good deal.

I don't understand how you found all this info on discogs, but I was really happy with the MoFi Pinkerton. Do it again for Nirvana's In Utero, please.

Wasn't this post from like 6 months ago???

PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2020 2:18 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Simple Torture wrote:
B wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Wasn't this post from like 6 months ago???

Yes, but it was easy for me to find. I've only made 2 posts about Pinkerton. Now, shut up, and tell me which In Utero to buy.

PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2020 2:53 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

You've got a couple of options with In Utero.

The Steve Albini mix from 2013 is highly regarded (I've got it; it sounds great), and I would recommend that: https://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-In-Uter ... se/5146137

If you'd rather have the original mix, you could get the 3xLP version that also has a disc of b-sides and a handful of remixes (I also have this and it's a great package): https://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-In-Uter ... se/4940893

There's also a 1xLP version from 2008 that's just the original LP, if you'd rather go that route (reviews are not as stellar for this one): https://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-In-Uter ... se/1559511

PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2020 2:56 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

:thumbsup: Gracias!

PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2020 3:54 pm 
Gone

2013 mix is clutch

PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2020 6:33 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The 2013 mix goes on sale for a pretty deep discount every so often. The regular album too. The 3LP set not so much. I have both the 2013 mix and the regular and enjoy listening to both.

PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2020 6:51 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I will return with more demands. Probably for Beastie Boys.

PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2020 8:50 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Just to point out, both versions of In Utero are an "Albini mix", since he recorded and mixed the original album (aside from the two singles, which were remixed by Scott Litt).

The 2013 mix is meant to be a fun alternative which brings out different elements on the tapes, not a representation of the album proper, or how it "should have been".

I enjoy both versions too, but the original mix is probably the one you want if you only get one IMO.

PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2020 9:35 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2020 9:44 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Birds in Hell wrote:
Just to point out, both versions of In Utero are an "Albini mix", since he recorded and mixed the original album (aside from the two singles, which were remixed by Scott Litt).

The 2013 mix is meant to be a fun alternative which brings out different elements on the tapes, not a representation of the album proper, or how it "should have been".

I enjoy both versions too, but the original mix is probably the one you want if you only get one IMO.

so basically it's like Monster and Monster Remix, yeah?

PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2020 11:48 pm 
Gone

I can't remember, does the 2013 mix have the original too like the Monster package?

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 3:39 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

verb_to_trust wrote:
I can't remember, does the 2013 mix have the original too like the Monster package?

no, it's just the 2013 mix released on its own

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 4:33 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

https://pitchfork.com/news/amazon-halts-cd-and-vinyl-orders-amid-coronavirus-outbreak/

PostPosted: Fri April 10, 2020 1:57 pm 
AnalLog

Anybody ever use Vinyl Me Please? Any good? Thinking about gifting someone a 3 mo. subscription.

PostPosted: Fri April 10, 2020 2:01 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

bodysnatcher wrote:

My kids' stupid Pokemon box came in 3 days, but I have to wait until May to get my Ride the Lightning?

PostPosted: Fri April 10, 2020 3:59 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

ghost wrote:
Anybody ever use Vinyl Me Please? Any good? Thinking about gifting someone a 3 mo. subscription.

I did it once so that I could get the Fiona Apple album. It was alright, but the per album cost didn’t add up for me. There are complaints of people receiving damaged albums, or the wrong album, and customer service being completely useless. I never had that issue though.

Although I’d join again for 3 months for an exclusive album I really wanted, I’m not crazy about the idea of not being able to choose what you get. Though, if they announce an album you aren’t jazzed about, you can decide to swap it for an album in their store if it’s in stock.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210 ... 278  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands