The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147 ... 175  Next
 Post subject: Re: Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2020 2:39 pm 
Rank This Poster

Simple Torture wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Red Sock

On today of all days, how dare you.

My deepest apologies for my ignorance.

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2020 2:46 pm 
Rank This Poster

numbers wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
David Price is the kind of contract you fire the GM for signing. That cost Betts. To get out from under that incredible disaster of a deal they had to trade one of the best players in baseball at 27.

Perhaps it's somewhat Ironic, but Frank Wren, who brought the brothers Upton to Atlanta was recently working for the Sox as some sort of adviser (he may still be I'm not sure)

When Melvin BJ Upton's contract needed to be moved because it was so awful, it cost the Braves former Red Sock, Craig Kimbrel in the process.

All of this traces back to the original sin, lowballing Lester. That led to the overspending on starting pitching, which led to this.

Well, at least you're out from under the Price deal now, that should give the new front office some room to breathe.

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2020 2:53 pm 
Rank This Poster

They had Price, Martinez, and Eovaldi locked in at $70+ million for multiple years, and when those kinds of commitments led to questions about how long they could keep the team together, they extended Sale and Bogaerts for another $50 million long term.

We've discussed ownership/payroll quite a bit here, and I continue to believe every team is always going to have a spending limit somewhere (though I get the argument that a guy like Betts is probably worth making an exception for), but there were a bunch of poor and/or short-term decisions that got them to the point of having to clear payroll.

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2020 3:29 pm 
Rank This Poster

Electromatic wrote:
numbers wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
David Price is the kind of contract you fire the GM for signing. That cost Betts. To get out from under that incredible disaster of a deal they had to trade one of the best players in baseball at 27.

Perhaps it's somewhat Ironic, but Frank Wren, who brought the brothers Upton to Atlanta was recently working for the Sox as some sort of adviser (he may still be I'm not sure)

When Melvin BJ Upton's contract needed to be moved because it was so awful, it cost the Braves former Red Sock, Craig Kimbrel in the process.

All of this traces back to the original sin, lowballing Lester. That led to the overspending on starting pitching, which led to this.

Well, at least you're out from under the Price deal now, that should give the new front office some room to breathe.

I don't think the specific numbers have been released yet, but Boston is expected to retain something like half of Price's deal. So they're paying him $16 million to pitch for LA instead of $32 million to play for Boston. I wouldn't say they "got out from under" it.

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2020 3:38 pm 
Rank This Poster

philpritchard wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
numbers wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

I don't think the specific numbers have been released yet, but Boston is expected to retain something like half of Price's deal. So they're paying him $16 million to pitch for LA instead of $32 million to play for Boston. I wouldn't say they "got out from under" it.

They're still paying half and they lost Betts? Wow, Ouch.

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2020 4:04 pm 
Rank This Poster

Electromatic wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
numbers wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

I kind of look at it as Price for nothing and Betts for Verdugo and Graterol.

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2020 4:25 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

philpritchard wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
numbers wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

I hate even speculating on this stuff because it feels like acceptance that this was OK, but I have to think they could have split the Price and Betts trades and gotten more for Betts. There wasnt one team in MLB willing to take on half of Price's money at no additional cost?

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2020 4:30 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

numbers wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
numbers wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

I hate even speculating on this stuff because it feels like acceptance that this was OK, but I have to think they could have split the Price and Betts trades and gotten more for Betts. There wasnt one team in MLB willing to take on half of Price's money at no additional cost?

Price might be insufferable, but he's still pretty good this shouldnt have been like offloading Pablo Sandoval.

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2020 4:35 pm 
Rank This Poster

numbers wrote:

I think Verdugo and Graterol was about the best you could expect for a rental, even a superstar like Betts. Teams have started placing so much value on years of cheap control that you don't see huge prospect returns for one year rentals anymore.

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2020 5:13 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

HEY, I'M GONNA POST SOMETHING POSITIVE--this lineup could still be really good!

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2020 5:36 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Let's trade arguably the best player in baseball at age 27!

Lots of bad choices led to this...

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2020 8:21 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Yeah, if getting under the luxury tax in 2020 was such an imperative, the last offseason is completely nonsensical. This idea that Dombrowski signed Sale and Eovaldi behind their backs(but not Bogaerts, they signed off on that one!) is absurd.

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2020 11:02 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

numbers wrote:
Price might be insufferable, but he's still pretty good this shouldnt have been like offloading Pablo Sandoval.

Is Pablo hated in Boston?

PostPosted: Thu February 06, 2020 12:01 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Not really, he wasn’t liked, but I wouldn’t say hated.

PostPosted: Sun February 16, 2020 1:56 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I’ve been so preoccupied with anger about the state of this team that I hadn’t really been thinking about the upcoming season. They still have a pretty good lineup, but this team feels like a house of cards. They have very little depth and no pitching. Their rotation already is a man short and two of those guys are probably around 80% chance of being on the DL for an extended period of time. I love what E-Rod did last year, but I don’t love relying on him to be the anchor of a pitching staff. Why they didn’t bring Porcello back is beyond me.

PostPosted: Fri February 21, 2020 12:19 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Now that the numbers are public, I am INFURIATED about Brock Holt being gone.

PostPosted: Fri February 28, 2020 9:33 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

If you need me, I'll be crying somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat February 29, 2020 10:49 pm 
Rank This Poster

I'm sure a new good bench player will show up before too long to capture your hearts.

PostPosted: Sat February 29, 2020 11:41 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I get what you’re saying but Holt was much more than that.

PostPosted: Sat February 29, 2020 11:49 pm 
Poster of the Year

I have one of these on my desk at work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147 ... 175  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports