The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: fish recipe
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:08 pm 
Future Drummer

seasoning + fish

Last edited by --- on Tue August 26, 2014 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Big Daddy's blackened tilapia
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:30 am 
Banned from the Pit

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:27 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Wed June 12, 2013 4:34 am 
The Master

PostPosted: Wed June 12, 2013 11:40 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Sounds good. I love blackened seafood.

Post subject: Fish and Seafood Thread
PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2020 7:06 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

So ITT we talk fish and seafood. it can be anything (recipes, what to avoid, when to buy, etc.). My family eats a lot of fish. I've been blessed with kids that love it. And so I try to find new and interesting ones to prepare.

I'll start with salmon, because everyone knows it and it's the easiest to find. Most of the salmon we find in stores is farmed with a higher fat content because they never move around. And most come from northern europe. i would prefer to cook wild salmon, but because it's leaner, it also has less taste. And it can also dry out pretty quickly (you have to cook it only to about 120 degrees, as opposed to 125-130 for farmed salmon). so i stick with farmed. My favorite recipe is also the easiest:

1. dissolve 1/2 cup of table salt in 2 quarts of water, and brine the salmon for 30 minutes.
2. pat salmon dry and season with salt (kosher) and pepper.
3. sprinkle generous salt at the bottom of a cold skillet, and place the salmon on it.
4. cook over medium-high heat for 7-8 minutes per side, depending on the thickness.
5. let salmon rest for 5 minutes before serving.

i also just cooked a couple of these bad boys this weekend and stabbed my thumb so badly from one of the spiny dorsal fins that it was still bleeding yesterday:

Post subject: Re: Fish and Seafood Thread
PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2020 7:18 pm 
The Master

Great thread.

For seafood purchasing, I try to go by the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch guide (we have it stuck on our fridge)

On the issue of salmon -- I'm not suggesting you're not getting great farm-raised stuff, it definitely exists. There are different systems (circular tanks vs. "racetrack" runs), and more importantly, different feed formulas. Many farming companies will inject the fish with a pink dye to simulate their natural color when eating krill and other shellfish. I don't like that idea, but then I also never got comfortable with greyish-brown flesh on farm-raised salmon that aren't injected with dye.

But I do want to push back on the fat content. One can get a very fatty wild-caught fish, typically King/Chinook, which is expensive but certainly available (and fucking delicious). We'll splurge on that a few times a year, but more often get the somewhat leaner Sockeye, which still has awesome flavor. I'll get the middle-of-the-road Coho if I'm making salmon burgers. Won't touch anything lower than that.

PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2020 7:19 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

can we all agree, right here on page 1, that there will be no talk about tilapia?

PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2020 7:19 pm 
The Master

Yes.

PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2020 7:20 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

One thing I don't hate about living where I live is the abundance of a wide variety of fresh seafood.

PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2020 7:24 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i get most of my stuff here..its less than a mile away

http://qualityseafood.com/our-fish/

PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2020 7:29 pm 
Polluted

We might have terrible accents up here, but we have great seafood. Take that, dickheads.

PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2020 7:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i've been on a jumbo shrimp cocktail kick for what seems like a month now

PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2020 7:37 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

f' all of you guys for living on the coasts. although when i go visit my parents in michigan there's an abundance of fresh walleye and perch (and boy i can't wait for the lenten fish fries coming up (extra tar tar please)).

PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2020 7:39 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
Great thread.

For seafood purchasing, I try to go by the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch guide (we have it stuck on our fridge)

On the issue of salmon -- I'm not suggesting you're not getting great farm-raised stuff, it definitely exists. There are different systems (circular tanks vs. "racetrack" runs), and more importantly, different feed formulas. Many farming companies will inject the fish with a pink dye to simulate their natural color when eating krill and other shellfish. I don't like that idea, but then I also never got comfortable with greyish-brown flesh on farm-raised salmon that aren't injected with dye.

But I do want to push back on the fat content. One can get a very fatty wild-caught fish, typically King/Chinook, which is expensive but certainly available (and fucking delicious). We'll splurge on that a few times a year, but more often get the somewhat leaner Sockeye, which still has awesome flavor. I'll get the middle-of-the-road Coho if I'm making salmon burgers. Won't touch anything lower than that.

do you take advantage of the Copper-River salmon that's usually available towards the end of May through mid June? it's expensive, but it's the best salmon you'll ever have.

PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2020 8:27 pm 
The Master

Chris_H_2 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Great thread.

do you take advantage of the Copper-River salmon that's usually available towards the end of May through mid June? it's expensive, but it's the best salmon you'll ever have.

Yes! Every summer I'll get it once or twice and cook a meal. I was once horrified when my MiL asked me to cook hers well done.

PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2020 10:14 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I miss living in the Columbia River area, though. Nothing like catching your own salmon and smoking it the same day.

PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2020 10:19 pm 

Self wrote:
We might have terrible accents up here, but we have great seafood. Take that, dickheads.

Interestingly enough, I could say that about "down here" as well.

PostPosted: Thu January 23, 2020 1:02 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

my current favorite fish that people don't seem to know about is Hake

it's a white fish, like a cross between a flounder and a cod

buttery and warm but with some body

and it's usually not expensive

just simple broil with a little lemon

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu January 23, 2020 1:03 am 
Poster of the Year

Self wrote:

True. I got some great cod last week from stop and shop of all places.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining