The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 209  Next

Who will win the national championship?
Clemson 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
LSU 60%  60%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Mon January 13, 2020 3:55 am 
The Master

I feel like the 2+ weeks between games is going to make this a weird one. I guess I'll go with LSU?

PostPosted: Mon January 13, 2020 3:56 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

96583UP wrote:
can someone update the poll to reflect the actual opponents?

Vote already

PostPosted: Mon January 13, 2020 4:01 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
96583UP wrote:
can someone update the poll to reflect the actual opponents?

Vote already

yaaaaaas <crushes beer can on forehead>

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon January 13, 2020 4:04 am 
mXn

Tigers, baby!

PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 6:59 am 
mXn

Jeebus nobody here cares about college sports

PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 1:04 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I live in Clemson country and SEC country. I'm sick of it.

PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 2:41 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bammer wrote:
Jeebus nobody here cares about college sports

:wave:

PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 2:52 pm 
The Master

I love college football. It's the best. The playoffs have really take away from the other bowls though. I don't think I watched more than an hour or two of all the other bowls combined.

PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 2:57 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I've never really like talking or bragging about success (mine or sports teams I follow), so I feel kinda weird talking about Clemson. I was a kid when they were winding down a solid stretch that lasted from the late 70's to the early 90's. I remember (kinda) the 90's and how bad they were, falling to pretty much irrelevant levels. When Bowden took over, Clemson was at a low point and far behind the times (recruiting, facilities, coaching, etc..). Tommy Bowden did some good and definitely got them on the right track. His problem is that Clemson was frustratingly inconsistent. Beat a top 10 Miami team, then lose to Duke. Close but no cigar was pretty much the norm. 7-5, 8-4, and if we were lucky maybe 9-3 was the reality. Mediocrity was the standard.

In 2003 Bowden hired Dabo as the WR coach and recruiting coordinator. More talent started making their way to Clemson (James Davis, CJ Spiller, Jacoby Ford), but the results were still the same. Close, but not close enough. Over the past decade, the turn around the team has made has been unreal. Since the 2011 season, the team is 111- 16. As fans we've been spoiled, "Clemsoning" now means winning championships, best is the standard. It's been a remarkable run, and it looks like it's going to continue. Another top recruiting class is on its way, and the team returns a lot of players. I'll be pretty surprised if Clemson is not in the playoffs again this coming season. All good things eventually end, but until that happens, I'm just enjoying the ride and appreciating how far the team has come along.

PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 3:37 pm 
mXn

Yep, your instinct was right. STFU about stupid Clemson.

:D

PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 3:42 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bammer wrote:
Yep, your instinct was right. STFU about stupid Clemson.

:D

:lol:
Spoiler: show
:finger:

PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 4:22 pm 
The Master

darth_vedder wrote:
I've never really like talking or bragging about success (mine or sports teams I follow), so I feel kinda weird talking about Clemson. I was a kid when they were winding down a solid stretch that lasted from the late 70's to the early 90's. I remember (kinda) the 90's and how bad they were, falling to pretty much irrelevant levels. When Bowden took over, Clemson was at a low point and far behind the times (recruiting, facilities, coaching, etc..). Tommy Bowden did some good and definitely got them on the right track. His problem is that Clemson was frustratingly inconsistent. Beat a top 10 Miami team, then lose to Duke. Close but no cigar was pretty much the norm. 7-5, 8-4, and if we were lucky maybe 9-3 was the reality. Mediocrity was the standard.

In 2003 Bowden hired Dabo as the WR coach and recruiting coordinator. More talent started making their way to Clemson (James Davis, CJ Spiller, Jacoby Ford), but the results were still the same. Close, but not close enough. Over the past decade, the turn around the team has made has been unreal. Since the 2011 season, the team is 111- 16. As fans we've been spoiled, "Clemsoning" now means winning championships, best is the standard. It's been a remarkable run, and it looks like it's going to continue. Another top recruiting class is on its way, and the team returns a lot of players. I'll be pretty surprised if Clemson is not in the playoffs again this coming season. All good things eventually end, but until that happens, I'm just enjoying the ride and appreciating how far the team has come along.

I like Clemson and I'm happy for their success, but they really have benefited from a weak ACC these past few years. You can only beat the teams in front of you and they've taken advantage of it.

Do they have any big non-conference games scheduled for the next few years?

PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 6:25 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Monkey_Driven wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

I like Clemson and I'm happy for their success, but they really have benefited from a weak ACC these past few years. You can only beat the teams in front of you and they've taken advantage of it.

Do they have any big non-conference games scheduled for the next few years?

Totally. I would say the biggest difference the last few years and the Bowden / early Dabo days were Clemson was good for blowing one, or two, or three of the "should win" games (beat FSU, lose to Wake Forrest). Nowadays, they take care of business, and pretty much beat all the teams they "should" beat, so we're seeing 11-1 and 12-0 seasons out of them.

This coming season they have their standard two cupcakes (I really hate this), Notre Dame, and South Carolina. As for the ACC I hope the conference bounces back a little. There really is no reason FSU, Miami, VA Tech, and Clemson can't all be perennial top 25 teams. Others should be in the mix too....GA Tech and UNC need to step it up, and it looks like UVA is getting on the right track.

The cupcake problem is all due to SEC and ACC teams wanting 7 home games. They pay teams like Wofford or the Citadel to go to Clemson and play, thus giving them the 7th home game. Any team from the P5 won't play a game at Clemson without a home and home, so the only teams that do it are the cupcakes. I would rather the ACC move to 9 conference games and drop a cupcake game.

In a few years, Clemson and LSU have a home and home. That should be pretty fun.

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2020 3:24 pm 
The Master

The two different signing days have taken the fun of today.

PostPosted: Mon March 23, 2020 12:18 pm 
Rank This Poster

Trey Sermon to Ohio State as a graduate transfer. The rich get richer. They’ll have a crazy run game next fall if the season happens anyway.

PostPosted: Mon March 23, 2020 6:15 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

the graduate-transfer rule is such a weird anomaly in college athletics.

PostPosted: Tue April 14, 2020 1:58 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Will this be the year they finally admit the "student" part of student athlete doesn't really matter, at least regarding football? That college football really is just about the money now?
And if there is no football that will effect the budgets of every other college sports teams.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/04/08/college-football-future-2020-ncaa-coronavirus

PostPosted: Tue April 14, 2020 4:00 pm 
mXn

I thought for sure the bump in this thread would be an official cancellation of the season.

PostPosted: Tue April 14, 2020 11:56 pm 
Gone

Bammer wrote:
I thought for sure the bump in this thread would be an official cancellation of the season.

There will be no season. Do you really need to wait for it to be official?

PostPosted: Wed April 15, 2020 12:32 am 
The Master

I hear murmurs that there could be a shortened season in the Spring.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 209  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports