The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Sat December 14, 2019 7:38 pm 
Offline
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 8369
Green Habit wrote:
This is why I don't give a flying fuck about international treaties, who is and isn't in them, and who is and isn't holding up their end of the bargain.

Just get to work in developing clean technologies to phase out fossil fuels, and then sell the shit out of them to developing nations.


Exactly this

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Sat December 14, 2019 7:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 38317
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
Well the treaties are great, because they can jumpstart a demand for cleaner tech. I wouldn't go kicking the very concept to the curb just because the market is the ultimate driver of the technology; the treaties can help compel the market.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Sat December 14, 2019 11:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Site Admin
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Posts: 6494
tragabigzanda wrote:
Well the treaties are great, because they can jumpstart a demand for cleaner tech. I wouldn't go kicking the very concept to the curb just because the market is the ultimate driver of the technology; the treaties can help compel the market.
To be clear, I don't think the market alone will spurn itself here. (Though it would be great if if could catch lightning in a bottle.) I think national governments need to be aggressively chipping in too with not just R&D, but more importantly in making direct purchases into building clean infrastructure. But there is no international government that has this ability on a global scale. Therefore, I say that, instead of doing a whole lot of talking with "pledges", each nation should do everything they can to clean up their energy, then export what they've developed at home to abroad.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Sun December 15, 2019 12:14 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 38317
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
Green Habit wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Well the treaties are great, because they can jumpstart a demand for cleaner tech. I wouldn't go kicking the very concept to the curb just because the market is the ultimate driver of the technology; the treaties can help compel the market.
To be clear, I don't think the market alone will spurn itself here. (Though it would be great if if could catch lightning in a bottle.) I think national governments need to be aggressively chipping in too with not just R&D, but more importantly in making direct purchases into building clean infrastructure. But there is no international government that has this ability on a global scale. Therefore, I say that, instead of doing a whole lot of talking with "pledges", each nation should do everything they can to clean up their energy, then export what they've developed at home to abroad.

Just to further parse this out...

Montana is on the list of the top 10 coal reserves on the planet(!). There's ample coal here to be developed, and a major coal production facility in the town of Colstrip...

As regional utilities divest from fossil fuels and shift towards sustainable energy, there's this longterm process of winding down the fossil fuel operations and reclamation. The upshot is that a lot of these coal-burning producers still own coal-burning plants, but may not be mining coal locally.

NorthWestern Energy is now looking at buying a major stake in the Colstrip plant, as a means of propping up their other facilities that run on coal (or would otherwise buy coal-derived energy off the grid).

Worth noting that Colstrip had also been shipping its coal to China, and the MT AG recently joined a multi-state lawsuit against the state of WA for the right to continue to export coal out of the Port of Seattle, as WA no longer wants to export fossil fuels from its ports.

To your point about the int'l market making direct purchases in clean infrastructure: It's going to take time for that demand to further develop. It's still relatively expensive technology, mostly due to the inconsistency of wind and sunlight. And for a country to buy into an energy supply, my *hunch* is that they need a certain guaranteed supply at a fixed rate (or within a certain cost range, perhaps). And my understanding is that it's not typically the producers who sell the energy to large buyers, but rather the grid intermediaries, which adds another layer of cost complexity into the mix.

We're gonna get there! But I think what we should be asking our politicians for is bipartisan legislation (there is NO clean energy legislation at the Federal level) that supports longterm shifts to sustainable energy over 50 years or so.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2019 3:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Image

_________________
"I'll hold your wallet while you go fuck yourself"-David Letterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2019 3:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Site Admin
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Posts: 6494
The opportunity for a dick joke using FTFY was so much greater there.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2019 7:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 20151
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate- ... story.html
Quote:
Continued deforestation and other fast-moving changes in the Amazon threaten to turn parts of the rainforest into savanna, devastate wildlife and release billions of tons carbon into the atmosphere, two renowned experts warned Friday.

“The precious Amazon is teetering on the edge of functional destruction and, with it, so are we,” Thomas Lovejoy of George Mason University and Carlos Nobre of the University of Sao Paulo in Brazil, both of whom have studied the world’s largest rainforest for decades, wrote in an editorial in the journal Science Advances. “Today, we stand exactly in a moment of destiny: The tipping point is here, it is now.”

The speed of the transformation in some key planetary systems, like Greenland’s ice and the Arctic’s permafrost, has “indeed been underestimated by climate science,” said Stefan Rahmstorf, head of Earth system analysis at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research in Germany. “And that’s partly because we cannot really capture them well in our models.”

In interviews, Lovejoy and Nobre said they decided to sound a dire alarm about the Amazon after witnessing the acceleration of troubling trends. The combination of warming temperatures, crippling wildfires and ongoing land clearing for cattle ranching and crops has extended dry seasons, killed off water-sensitive vegetation and created conditions for more fire.

The Amazonis now 17 percent deforested, but for the large proportion of it inside Brazil, the figure is closer to 20 percent. The fear is that soon there will be so little forest that the trees, which not only soak up enormous quantities of rainwater but themselves give off billowing columns of mist that aid agriculture and sustain innumerable species, won’t be able to recycle enough rainfall.

That point of no return, commonly referred to by scientists as a tipping point, “is much closer than we anticipated,” Nobre said in an interview.

The troubling news comes on top of other alarming developments regarding the Earth’s climate.
Earlierthis month,nearly 100 polar scientists detailed how the Greenland ice sheet’s losses have accelerated in recent decades, growing from 33 billion lost tons per year in the 1990s to a current average of 254 billion tons annually.

“Greenland is losing ice faster than expected, partly because climate models aren’t good at predicting extreme melting events but also because many of the ice sheet’s smaller glaciers have started to speed up too,” said Andrew Shepherd, a glaciologist at Leeds University in the U.K., who led the latest study. “So the [worst]-case scenario now becomes business as usual.”

_________________
(patriotic choking noises)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Wed December 25, 2019 1:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 24904
Location: Illinois
"If nuclear war destroys humanity and most of the rest of life, a good bet for survival in the short term, and for evolutionary ancestry in the long term, is rats. I have a post-Armageddon vision. We and all other large animals are gone. Rodents emerge as the ultimate post-human scavengers. They gnaw their way through New York, London and Tokyo, digesting spilled larders, ghost supermarkets and human corpses and turning them into new generations of rats and mice, whose racing populations explode out of the cities and into the countryside.

When all the relics of human profligacy are eaten, populations crash again, and the rodents turn on each other, and on the cockroaches scavenging with them. In a period of intense competition, short generations perhaps with radioactivity enhanced mutation-rates boost rapid evolution. With human ships and planes gone, islands become islands again, with local populations isolated save for occasional lucky raftings: ideal conditions for evolutionary divergence.

Within 5 million years, a whole range of new species replace the ones we know. Herds of giant grazing rats are stalked by sabre-toothed predatory rats. Given enough time, will a species of intelligent, cultivated rats emerge? Will rodent historians and scientists eventually organise careful archaeological digs (gnaws?) through the strata of our long-compacted cities, and reconstruct the peculiar and temporarily tragic circumstances that gave ratkind its big break?"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Wed December 25, 2019 2:51 am 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 64328
Scurry amirite

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Thu January 02, 2020 8:09 pm 
Offline
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 8369
https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/02/nearly-5 ... -11989639/

Difficult to grasp a loss on that scale

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Thu January 02, 2020 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 42229
Location: 6000 feet beyond man and time.
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Scurry amirite

It's a documentary

_________________
verily, if life had no sense, and had I to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me also.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Wed January 08, 2020 4:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
Banned from the Pit
 Profile

Joined: Tue February 24, 2015 5:42 pm
Posts: 25
Image

Image

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Wed January 08, 2020 5:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:21 am
Posts: 2943
Image

I'm not sure being right once out of 16 is all that impressive.

_________________
Think I’m going to try being kind to everyone a chance.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2020 9:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Trump slashes environmental regulations

_________________
"I'll hold your wallet while you go fuck yourself"-David Letterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2020 4:32 pm 
Offline
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 8369
What a coincidence

https://www.thewrap.com/greta-thunberg- ... c-studios/

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2020 4:33 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 6:10 pm
Posts: 2885
Bi_3 wrote:


What about this is a coincidence?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2020 4:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 20151
JuanHamm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:


What about this is a coincidence?

When resource and industry powerhouses decided to counter climate research that was detrimental to their bottom line, they began to fund their own research institutes with the purpose of creating an alternative narrative. They instead created a disinformation feedback loop so powerful, and so worldview-forming, that adults lost to it have an unending need to be presented with reassurances that the people who disagree with them are, at heart, disingenuous.

Coincidentally, this weaponizing of misinformation also became the campaign model for an entire political party.

_________________
(patriotic choking noises)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2020 5:12 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 6:10 pm
Posts: 2885
McParadigm wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:


What about this is a coincidence?

When resource and industry powerhouses decided to counter climate research that was detrimental to their bottom line, they began to fund their own research institutes with the purpose of creating an alternative narrative. They instead created a disinformation feedback loop so powerful, and so worldview-forming, that adults lost to it have an unending need to be presented with reassurances that the people who disagree with them are, at heart, disingenuous.

Coincidentally, this weaponizing of misinformation also became the campaign model for an entire political party.


Thanks, this really cleared it up


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2020 5:33 pm 
Offline
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 8369
JuanHamm wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:


What about this is a coincidence?

When resource and industry powerhouses decided to counter climate research that was detrimental to their bottom line, they began to fund their own research institutes with the purpose of creating an alternative narrative. They instead created a disinformation feedback loop so powerful, and so worldview-forming, that adults lost to it have an unending need to be presented with reassurances that the people who disagree with them are, at heart, disingenuous.

Coincidentally, this weaponizing of misinformation also became the campaign model for an entire political party.


Thanks, this really cleared it up


i r dumb and washedbrain.

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Wed February 12, 2020 5:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 38317
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
Pretty cool. I studied aquaculture treatment of N and P quite a bit in college, and I'd never heard of this solution. And in Jeff Ament's hometown, no less!

Havre's Wastewater Woes Solved By Beer


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Mon September 28, 2020 5:52 am