The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 365, 366, 367, 368, 369, 370, 371 ... 1386  Next

Rank Lightning Bolt
5 stars 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
4 stars 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
3 stars 39%  39%  [ 20 ]
2 stars 35%  35%  [ 18 ]
1 star 18%  18%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 51
 Post subject: Re: Lightning Bolt - October 15
PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:19 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

harmless wrote:
Incidentally, one of my favourite ever 'boring' songs is Thumbing My Way. It's gorgeous and nearly everyone finds it boring.

Weirdo.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:20 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Hard to get much out of his review. Sounds like the listening party was a bit obnoxious if it was too loud. The only thing I find really dissuading is his critique of "heavy production."

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:20 pm 
AnalLog

I'm thinking Infallible is the soundcheck song.
The guy mentions a "No Way" like groove. This could be it.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:21 pm 
Future Drummer

It's really rare for me to think a Pearl Jam song is boring. All the songs I consider mediocre or even bad I would seldom describe as boring. So I don't really care about it in the review.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:22 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Relax, the album is going to suck regardless of what that guy says!

In all seriousness, i thought Binaural was boring too upon the first handful of listens but I was 17.

Future Drummer

harmless wrote:
Incidentally, one of my favourite ever 'boring' songs is Thumbing My Way. It's gorgeous and nearly everyone finds it boring.

One of Pearl Jam's better songs. :peace:

Misplaced My Sponge

EJ wrote:
Hard to get much out of his review. Sounds like the listening party was a bit obnoxious if it was too loud. The only thing I find really dissuading is his critique of "heavy production."

Yeah, that's concerning.

Future Drummer

I'm not yet worried about the use of "boring" to describe so many songs. Whoever mentioned NAIS a few pages back and how it turns a lot of people off because it's boring, I see that same silver lining.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:23 pm 
Poster of the Year

harmless wrote:

I love Thumbing My Way. It was really the last time they were able to make the "ed solo song" on the record still feel like a Pearl Jam song.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:23 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

pnjguy wrote:
Relax, the album is going to suck regardless of what that guy says!

In all seriousness, i thought Binaural was boring too upon the first handful of listens but I was 17.

I hated it for years until one day, one fine grey cold and rainy day, it clicked.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:24 pm 

cutuphalfdead wrote:
harmless wrote:

I love Thumbing My Way. It was really the last time they were able to make the "ed solo song" on the record still feel like a Pearl Jam song.

Agreed. But I can't put my finger on why, and I wonder how much we're just imposing that on the songs because of ITW.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:24 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

To be honest, if I was invited to this listening party with a bunch of other fans, the last thing on my mind would be trying to remember the songs enough to write a detailed review immediately after. Instead, I would enjoy the session, then go out for beers with all the other people in attendance and get drunk and just keep saying "holy sh*t, we just heard the new Pearl Jam before anyone else!".

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:25 pm 
AnalLog

Im happy to hear the studio version of LB is much better than the live version. I'd like to know in what ways though. I'm sure the vocals are spot on which was really my only beef with the live performance. Otherwise that song is fucking awesome.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:26 pm 
Future Drummer

pretty excited for the new album

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:27 pm 
Poster of the Year

harmless wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
harmless wrote:

Agreed. But I can't put my finger on why, and I wonder how much we're just imposing that on the songs because of ITW.

Yeah, I can't pinpoint why it is either. Maybe it's because Riot Act has a distinct sound to it that is consistent in Thumbing My Way? Riot Act was the last album that really had it's own atmosphere, so when we get to Just Breathe it's just the ed solo song on this mix we're listening to.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:27 pm 

Also, with LB, Getaway, MYM and LTRP, we have four harder rock songs. I don't need them all to be fast.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:28 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Lounge Lizard wrote:
I'm thinking Infallible is the soundcheck song.
The guy mentions a "No Way" like groove. This could be it.

Definitely sounds like Infallible is the soundcheck song, with the No Way like groove.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:29 pm 

cutuphalfdead wrote:
harmless wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
harmless wrote:

Yeah, I can't pinpoint why it is either. Maybe it's because Riot Act has a distinct sound to it that is consistent in Thumbing My Way? Riot Act was the last album that really had it's own atmosphere, so when we get to Just Breathe it's just the ed solo song on this mix we're listening to.

Yes. It's tone, saccharine production. It just doesn't feel like it fits. Well, there's no consistent tone on Backspacer anyway but that's part of the problem. It's just songs being thrown on rather than a consistent feel.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:30 pm 
AnalLog

harmless wrote:
Also, with LB, Getaway, MYM and LTRP, we have four harder rock songs. I don't need them all to be fast.

I'm quite ok with that as well. I think they have a nice balance on each album and this sounds no different. Excitement is at 9.1 right now. It's getting close.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:30 pm 
Poster of the Year

harmless wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
harmless wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
harmless wrote:

Well, there's no consistent tone on Backspacer anyway but that's part of the problem. It's just songs being thrown on rather than a consistent feel.

Yep, and it's not like Backspacer is a hodge-podge of different sounds, it's just the whole thing is colored bland and generic. So if you take a song on it's own you don't hear the record it came from.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 365, 366, 367, 368, 369, 370, 371 ... 1386  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam