The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368, 369 ... 1386  Next

Rank Lightning Bolt
5 stars 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
4 stars 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
3 stars 39%  39%  [ 20 ]
2 stars 35%  35%  [ 18 ]
1 star 18%  18%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 51
 Post subject: Re: Lightning Bolt - October 15
PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:54 pm 
Rank This Poster

Thejambi wrote:
I really didnt get much from the review on how most of the songs really sounded.

'You tell me'

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:55 pm 
Rank This Poster

Heathen wrote:
Thejambi wrote:
I really didnt get much from the review on how most of the songs really sounded.

'You tell me'

I'm too old.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:55 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Strat wrote:
y Benz » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:46 am

Oh wauw i`m amazed that people think that this was a negative review. I think i heard some clear winners Getaway, Lightning Bolt, Infallible, Pendulum and Let The Records Play. The others i probably have to listen more than just once!
I think there was not one song i completely disliked. So really even if not all songs catched me right away i went away from the event with a really positive feeling excited to listen to the songs in more detail.
So to make this fair i should just compare this too my pervious first listens and there for example No Code was a complete disaster and now i love it! I think the only PJ album i liked on first listen start to end was V.S. but yeah this album is from another planet!

8-)

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:56 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

harmless wrote:
I think at the very least, I'm not talking this album up anymore. I'll take it for what it is.

It's nice to hear that Lightning Bolt sounds better on the album though. And like someone said, if there are one or two *great* songs here, it will make the rest worth giving time to.

im really not hating the review, i think it sounds enough different from backspacer that its got me kinda excited just to see how much different it actually is

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:57 pm 
The Master

harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:
y Benz » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:46 am

Oh wauw i`m amazed that people think that this was a negative review. I think i heard some clear winners Getaway, Lightning Bolt, Infallible, Pendulum and Let The Records Play. The others i probably have to listen more than just once!
I think there was not one song i completely disliked. So really even if not all songs catched me right away i went away from the event with a really positive feeling excited to listen to the songs in more detail.
So to make this fair i should just compare this too my pervious first listens and there for example No Code was a complete disaster and now i love it! I think the only PJ album i liked on first listen start to end was V.S. but yeah this album is from another planet!

8-)

i do love that he hated No Code upon first listen

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:58 pm 
AnalLog

It just occurred to me that a humorous approach to "Sleeping By Myself" might have been the only option that made any sense. I'm glad they didn't take it seriously. I haven't heard it yet so I might be talking out my ass of course, but judging on what this guy says I'm really glad they made a mockery of it. That's what young people do.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:00 pm 

It would make sense of the artwork being hilarious. I really don't mind this band having a laugh, as long as I also think it's funny.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:01 pm 
AnalLog

harmless wrote:
It would make sense of the artwork being hilarious. I really don't mind this band having a laugh, as long as I also think it's funny.
Exactly, I meant to touch on the artwork but forgot.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:04 pm 

I was still hoping for the beautiful version but meh, the irreverent joke is also fine. I really like Soon Forget and think it works perfectly as the penultimate song, a darkly humorous palette cleanser before the reflective close. I'm also quite excited to hear the last three songs now. It sounds like it might grind to a slow halt, like Binaural, even if it sounds nothing like Binaural.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:06 pm 
The worst

Thejambi wrote:

look, if you think you can post a better review start your own band, record an album, fly your producer to germany, have him hold a listening party, go to it, and then write a review.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:08 pm 

stip wrote:
Thejambi wrote:

look, if you think you can post a better review start your own band, record an album, fly your producer to germany, have him hold a listening party, go to it, and then write a review.

:thumbsup:

So much entitlement in this place! Sheesh.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:08 pm 
The worst

Unless we are getting a review from someone who could listen to the album under decent conditions and then took notes, or someone on the board we can interrogate (and who can provide some context for their own tastes when giving subjective opinions) my primary interest in this thing is hoping that a crappy audience recording links.

Beyond that it is nice to hear that certain songs are fast/slow, etc. But we won't learn much beyond that.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:09 pm 

The other thing is, apparently what I wanted from LTRP won't happen. Ah well, let's hope the lyrics aren't horrible.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:09 pm 
Future Drummer

I really don't know if I'd like my favorite Uke Song to be a "joke" song. I hope it's more strange than funny.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:10 pm 

Mike wrote:
I really don't know if I'd like my favorite Uke Song to be a "joke" song. I hope it's more strange than funny.

:thumbsup: Me too.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:11 pm 
Poster of the Year

Sleeping By Myself always reminded me of Leaves That Are Green

Mind Your Tanners

damn, i dont wanna wait 40 more days

AnalLog

Leaked Of The Earth artwork

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:12 pm 

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
damn, i dont wanna wait 40 more days

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:12 pm 
The worst

SaturdayNightSeizure wrote:
Ok i`ll try to write some thoughts. It`s really impossible to give a real review case after one listen i can never judge a Pearl Jam album. So it might be that after 5 listens i would write the complete opposite. I even might mix up some songs cause like 10 minutes after i heard it i forgot most of it

Getaway:
- pretty catchy uptempo song. It`s nothing crazy innovative but a great opener for the album i would say. I think the second verse was only voice and drums which was pretty cool. The melody is really catchy and you can sing along after first verse. But yeah it`s a bit - don`t know how to say it but it`s like a mixture of some PJ songs i heard before. So when i heard this i was a bit afraid that they really don`t have anything new to say...

- MYM:
You know that already. Only think i would say that it`s the fasted song on the record.

- My Fathers Son:
When it started i remember me saying what is that? That`s not Eddie singing! But it was Eddie First i really thought it`s Stone singing. Might just be because the room was pretty noisy. Other than that i think it was decent but a bit too long. Got a bit bored towards the end.

- Sirens:
I have to say i did not liked this song very much. I was really disappointed with this one because of all the hype. It`s a pretty (too) radio friendly ballad. Comparing it with Black is a joke too me. It was still interesting the guitars sounded a bit like 80 rock too me. But yeah I think i liked this song the least of all.

- Lighning Bolt:
I liked it much more than the live version we`ve all heard. I think it might be in my top 4 of this album.

- Infallible:
Liked this one a lot too! It has a nice Groove. Reminded me a bit of No Way. It`s not like No Way but the way a simple powerfull groove dominates this song just reminded me of it. Don`t remember much more only that i really liked it.

- Pendulum:
Really nice slow song with a psychedelic touch. Brandon said they recorded this one already for Backspacer but it didn`t made it...

- Swallowed Whole:
Didn`t really got into this one. It reminded me of something from Into The Wild but one of the more upbeat songs like Setting Forth..

- Let The Records Play:
Easily one of my favs. Good old school blues rock. Sounded like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club meets Black Keys!
Really nice can`t wait to hear it again.

- Sleeping By Myself:
I don`t know... It`s a bit like a joke. It`s not that much different than the Uke version but with a funny groove. Don`t know how to say it but it`s difficult to find a reason why this one should be on the album. It really feels like a joke. Not in a bad way but just like they make fun of themselves or something.

- Yellow Moon
Don`t know felt it was a bit boring.

- Future Days
Eddies voice is great but still it`s a bit boring to me.

So all in all i think it`s pretty great but the ending (last 3 songs) for me felt a bit like filler material. Like they had not enough and just put some Eddie solo material at the end. The album is heavy on production. Even more than Backspacer i would say. I have to say i liked it cause that`s what they should do in the studio but i`m sure there will be some people complaining about. So for me it a bit like Backspacer but with more depth and a bit more experimentation.
Ok that`s it for know. I realize this might not really help people to get an idea of the album. In the end it`s really impossible to say anything after one listen And again often the songs i don`t like first become my favorites later and the other way around so don`t take this too serious...

quoting so people don't have to search

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368, 369 ... 1386  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam