The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368 ... 1386  Next

Rank Lightning Bolt
5 stars 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
4 stars 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
3 stars 38%  38%  [ 20 ]
2 stars 37%  37%  [ 19 ]
1 star 17%  17%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 52
 Post subject: Re: Lightning Bolt - October 15
PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:42 pm 
Broken Tamborine

harmless wrote:
Thejambi wrote:
Interesting.
Things I find exciting:
1. Pit member isn't that thrilled
2. Reference to boredom
3. Drum and vocal verse
4. MYM is the fastest song

Things I find worrisome:
1. Over produced
2. Sleeping By Myself

Optimism up 2 ticks.

:thumbsup:

I wanted Sleeping By Myself to be gorgeous, with violin and a skiffle rhythm. I'm hoping this guy just doesn't like country. Hopefully he's some fratboy who thinks country is nowhere near hardcore enough.

The production I'm not worried about as long as I like the songs enough.

On the bright side, it sounds like there is no Fixer on this album.

I am hoping for the same from Sleeping By Myself. Fingers crossed it sounds exactly as you describe.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:43 pm 
Future Drummer

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
i think ill be most excited for the songs the reviewer was calling boring, people think All Or None is boring and that is a top 10 song for me

:nice:

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:43 pm 
Future Drummer

Lounge Lizard wrote:
That guy keeps saying the room was very noisy.
What in the fucking fuck is that?
You've been privileged with an exclusive invite to a listening party, can't you sit quiet for an hour?
I don't get it.

Europeans. They cannot be seen to care about something as crass as rock music. And am American band no less!

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:44 pm 
Future Drummer

broken iris wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
That guy keeps saying the room was very noisy.
What in the fucking fuck is that?
You've been privileged with an exclusive invite to a listening party, can't you sit quiet for an hour?
I don't get it.

Europeans. They cannot be seen to care about something as crass as rock music. And am American band no less!

German people are just terrible!

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:44 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
i think ill be most excited for the songs the reviewer was calling boring, people think All Or None is boring and that is a top 10 song for me

People right here on this spot also think Just Breathe is boring... I was hoping Future Days was the only song of that ilk on here. Basically, the overproduced comment has me more worried than anything because it suggests that any 'All or Nones' on here have been made into radio hits.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:45 pm 
Rank This Poster

Lounge Lizard wrote:
Thejambi wrote:
Interesting.
Things I find exciting:
2. Reference to boredom
3. Drum and vocal verse

Things I find worrisome:
1. Over produced
2. Sleeping By Myself

Optimism up 2 ticks.
If it's produced like Yield though?

It's not that it's more produced that worries me at all it's how it's produced. Inhave no problem If there is a ton of shit added in post but the sound is good .

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:46 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

harmless wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:

People right here on this spot also think Just Breathe is boring... I was hoping Future Days was the only song of that ilk on here. Basically, the overproduced comment has me more worried than anything because it suggests that any 'All or Nones' on here have been made into radio hits.

ill have to wait and make the judgment myself, but that was a pretty underwhelming first review

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:46 pm 

Thejambi wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
Thejambi wrote:
Interesting.
Things I find exciting:
2. Reference to boredom
3. Drum and vocal verse

Things I find worrisome:
1. Over produced
2. Sleeping By Myself

Optimism up 2 ticks.
If it's produced like Yield though?

It's not that it's more produced that worries me at all it's how it's produced. Inhave no problem If there is a ton of shit added in post but the sound is good .

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:47 pm 

But let's be honest, any of the ways we're rationalising this stuff is not going to make this album better.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:47 pm 
AnalLog

Mike wrote:
SaturdayNightSeizure wrote:
- Sirens:
I have to say i did not liked this song very much. I was really disappointed with this one because of all the hype. It`s a pretty (too) radio friendly ballad. Comparing it with Black is a joke too me. It was still interesting the guitars sounded a bit like 80 rock too me. But yeah I think i liked this song the least of all.

This is everything I was afraid of.

I think this all but confirms the soundchecked song we heard was Sirens, for me.
Spoiler: show
I could see those harmonizing guitar parts in the verse sounding like cheesy 80s riffs.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:49 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

This album sucks.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:49 pm 

HardTI wrote:
Mike wrote:
- Sirens:
I have to say i did not liked this song very much. I was really disappointed with this one because of all the hype. It`s a pretty (too) radio friendly ballad. Comparing it with Black is a joke too me. It was still interesting the guitars sounded a bit like 80 rock too me. But yeah I think i liked this song the least of all.

I think this all but confirms the soundchecked song we heard was Sirens, for me.
I could see those harmonizing guitar parts in the verse sounding like cheesy 80s riffs.

Yup. I think so too.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:50 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Just a few things.

He says Swallowed Whole sounds like something from Into the Wild. Ehhh..Guess it's not the soundcheck song, but rather his description of Infallible sounds like the soundcheck song.

Sleeping By Myself could be like this album's soon forget. A nice little transitional piece into Yellow Moon. We'll see.

My main disappointment is the lack of hard rock songs though It sounds like there's only 2 really. Maybe 3 with Let The Records Play. I was hoping My Father's Son and Pendulum were gonna be rock songs, but Pendulum sounds like a slow psychedelic song, which I'm also excited for

But where are the hard songs ! We've already heard MYM, so all we got is Getaway, and then mid tempo the rest of the way? Hope not!

Basically this guy suck at giving reviews.

Last edited by Vindicator on Tue September 03, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:51 pm 
The Master

e: Ramones Museum Berlin with Brendan O' Brien 9/3/13
Postby Benz » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:31 am

primussucks wrote:
So is yellow moon a slow song? Mid tempo? A rocker? Same with my fathers son. Are there sweet McCready solos in any songs? Not much details in the descriptions. Length of songs? Did anyone take notes while listening?

Yellow Moon is a rather slow song. I think Fathers Son is slow to mid tempo. I haven`t clocked the song length but i think this album is definitely much longer than BS. I have to say it becomes really difficult to remember and i didn`t take notes. I really wanted to but then somehow was to concentrated to listen cause the room was so noisy. I think some others took notes so i hope we get some more detailed reviews from them.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:51 pm 

I think at the very least, I'm not talking this album up anymore. I'll take it for what it is.

It's nice to hear that Lightning Bolt sounds better on the album though. And like someone said, if there are one or two *great* songs here, it will make the rest worth giving time to.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:52 pm 
Future Drummer

I love how the first review we get is from some random german guy. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:53 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Worst Pj album ever.

The Master

y Benz » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:46 am

Oh wauw i`m amazed that people think that this was a negative review. I think i heard some clear winners Getaway, Lightning Bolt, Infallible, Pendulum and Let The Records Play. The others i probably have to listen more than just once!
I think there was not one song i completely disliked. So really even if not all songs catched me right away i went away from the event with a really positive feeling excited to listen to the songs in more detail.
So to make this fair i should just compare this too my pervious first listens and there for example No Code was a complete disaster and now i love it! I think the only PJ album i liked on first listen start to end was V.S. but yeah this album is from another planet!

AnalLog

harmless wrote:
HardTI wrote:
Mike wrote:
- Sirens:

Yup. I think so too.

Although, what I heard kind of fits this person's description of Infallible and Pendulum too. Either way, I'm really excited to hear that sound checked song. I'm still pretty damn excited for this album. I think I would have been bored to death hearing Binaural or Riot Act in a loud noisy room too.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 6:54 pm 
Rank This Poster

I really didnt get much from the review on how most of the songs really sounded.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368 ... 1386  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam