The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post subject: Re: Movie: It (Stephen King, 2017)
PostPosted: Mon October 07, 2019 2:26 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, i thought that was weird but im glad it was just a little hint and it wasnt like richie made a full speech about it.

PostPosted: Mon October 07, 2019 5:09 pm 
Major Dude

tragabigzanda wrote:
wease wrote:
We enjoyed it. I really like King making fun of his career-long criticism of not ending books well. I’m glad the interspersed the kids in. It’s been so long since I’d seen the first one I wouldn’t have remembered who was who. Except for the girl and the black kid.
Question:
Spoiler: show
Was the implication by the carved initials that Richie was gay and loved Eddie?

Re: your spoiler — yes. Also pennywise talking about the character’s “secret.” It’s not in the book, btw.

Hey, thanks. That was actually my next question.

PostPosted: Mon October 07, 2019 5:10 pm 
Major Dude

I'm looking forward to watching them both, but I don't think I could do it back to back. Watch part one, run some errands, cook supper, then watch the second.

PostPosted: Mon October 07, 2019 5:29 pm 
Production Police

wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
wease wrote:
We enjoyed it. I really like King making fun of his career-long criticism of not ending books well. I’m glad the interspersed the kids in. It’s been so long since I’d seen the first one I wouldn’t have remembered who was who. Except for the girl and the black kid.
Question:

Re: your spoiler — yes. Also pennywise talking about the character’s “secret.” It’s not in the book, btw.

I think it worked as an addition to the film. It gave Eddie a more sympathetic character trait, made him less one-dimensional; and they didn't harp on it or make it central to his character, just like an added color. It was well executed.

PostPosted: Mon October 07, 2019 6:59 pm 
Major Dude

tragabigzanda wrote:
wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
wease wrote:
Question:

I think it worked as an addition to the film. It gave Eddie a more sympathetic character trait, made him less one-dimensional; and they didn't harp on it or make it central to his character, just like an added color. It was well executed.

You mean Richie?

I need to read the book. I've had it for probably 25 years but have never read it. It's a pretty hefty page count IIRC.

PostPosted: Mon October 07, 2019 7:11 pm 
Production Police

wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
wease wrote:
Question:

You mean Richie?

I need to read the book. I've had it for probably 25 years but have never read it. It's a pretty hefty page count IIRC.

yeah, sorry, richie

PostPosted: Sun October 13, 2019 2:56 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Watched the first one last night with my wife. Does it explain in the book why they all the adults are insane. They were way scarier than the goofy clown.

PostPosted: Sun October 13, 2019 4:08 pm 
Production Police

bada wrote:
Watched the first one last night with my wife. Does it explain in the book why they all the adults are insane. They were way scarier than the goofy clown.

It’s not really “explained” per se, but it is the same in the book. I think it’s a central theme of the story: the adults aren’t the shepherds of safety theirs kids need them to be. There was also a big push to inform the public about child abuse in the 80s with the boomer generation coming of age and reconciling their own upbringings with corporal punishment and the like, so I think King was able to play off that.

PostPosted: Sun October 13, 2019 4:32 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, he really got it what it was like to be a kid. Adults felt like...threatens.

PostPosted: Thu April 23, 2020 4:31 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
I enjoyed the new It.
Two things though: 1. the kids' part was better and the scarier half of the book and original mini. 2. I hope they change the big finale fight to something other than a giant spider.

I finally saw Chapter 2. My concerns turned out to be correct. There were two great scenes, one in the fun house and with the old lady. But they were both clips that were released early.
I enjoyed it all right but the kids' part of the overall story was by far the better half.

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment