The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Happy 9/11 Thread!
PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 1:27 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

4/5 wrote:
My school did a moment of silence and then a tribute video made by the school's ROTC program this morning. No big deal, pretty standard fare until the video devolved into a diatribe of how "they" hate us for our freedom and because we're a beacon of democracy and liberty. I was floored. It was like it was like listening to the Bush administration in 2001/02 again. Five minutes of how we're strong and angry blah blah blah.

Thought of this post from 4/5 last year:

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 3:46 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Holy shit

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 3:51 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

holy shit

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 4:47 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Big if true

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 4:48 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

what the actual fuck is that person on, and can we make sure she never has access to it again.

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 5:05 pm 
AnalLog

I was opening up Best Buy in Dunwoody. This customer met me at the door and told me a plane had flown into the World Trade Centers. My manager let him in (we didn't open until 9:00). By the time the 2nd plane hit there were 40 people in the store watching the TV's. There were probably 150 people watching when the first tower fell. We sold every TV we had in the store that morning. People were bringing them back to their offices to watch until the few tall buildings near us were evacuated.

I remember coming home and my roomate and I just being glued to the TV, hearing no planes in the sky. It still amazes me that Bush allowed or assisted the Bin Laden family to fly out of the country when every other plane was grounded.

I read Bin Laden's letter to America again today. He was pretty pissed off about the whole Israel/Palestine thing. I've been thinking about the IRAQ>disbanding army>ISIS>destabilization>thousands of baby terrorists being made all morning.

I needed the funny in this thread. The Marriott "gift" made me laugh again this year!

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 5:13 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Hatfield wrote:
I was opening up Best Buy in Dunwoody. This customer met me at the door and told me a plane had flown into the World Trade Centers. My manager let him in (we didn't open until 9:00). By the time the 2nd plane hit there were 40 people in the store watching the TV's. There were probably 150 people watching when the first tower fell. We sold every TV we had in the store that morning. People were bringing them back to their offices to watch until the few tall buildings near us were evacuated.

I remember coming home and my roomate and I just being glued to the TV, hearing no planes in the sky. It still amazes me that Bush allowed or assisted the Bin Laden family to fly out of the country when every other plane was grounded.

I read Bin Laden's letter to America again today. He was pretty pissed off about the whole Israel/Palestine thing. I've been thinking about the IRAQ>disbanding army>ISIS>destabilization>thousands of baby terrorists being made all morning.

I needed the funny in this thread. The Marriott "gift" made me laugh again this year!

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/flights-of-fancy/

Man Snopes' UI is terrible.

This is the bit that sounds the strangest to me:
Quote:
After his initial denial,[163][164][165] in the wake of the attacks, bin Laden announced, "what the United States is tasting today is nothing compared to what we have tasted for decades. Our umma has known this humiliation and contempt for over eighty years. Its sons are killed, its blood is spilled, its holy sites are attacked, and it is not governed according to Allah's command. Despite this, no one cares".[
So he initially said it wasn't them, but changed his mind? I do wonder frequently about that change of heart.

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 5:51 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 5:57 pm 
Broken Tamborine

The government most to blame is Saudi Arabia. And we're propping it up.

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 6:04 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

crazy day..i was working for united airlines at the time and "thankfully" had the day off and watched it all unfold via the today show in denver..my wife and i were supposed to fly to london on thursday via nyc but cancelled..i went into work the next day and I've never seen so many airplanes just sitting everywhere on a tarmac with nowhere to go..

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 7:13 pm 
Major Dude

doug rr wrote:
crazy day..i was working for united airlines at the time and "thankfully" had the day off and watched it all unfold via the today show in denver..my wife and i were supposed to fly to london on thursday via nyc but cancelled..i went into work the next day and I've never seen so many airplanes just sitting everywhere on a tarmac with nowhere to go..

You were a stewardess?

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 7:48 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

wease wrote:
doug rr wrote:

You were a stewardess?

yes

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 7:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 8:04 pm 
Major Dude

doug rr wrote:
wease wrote:
doug rr wrote:

You were a stewardess?

yes

So, how is the pay in that line of work?

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 8:11 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

wease wrote:
doug rr wrote:
wease wrote:
doug rr wrote:

You were a stewardess?

yes

So, how is the pay in that line of work?

i was joking..i managed gate agents..i did it for the free first class flights

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 9:32 pm 
The Master

My dad was working on a job site near Offut Air Force base where George W was first flown to. Imagine having quiet skies and then Air Force One flanked by fighter jets flying low overhead.

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 9:32 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

bune wrote:

Haha

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 9:39 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

i was sitting in a meeting in an upper floor in what was then called the "sears tower" (now willis tower). needless to say, we were evacuated pretty quickly. that tower is like the world trade center in that if you're above a certain floor, you have to take one elevator down to that certain floor and then take a second elevator down to the lobby. the elevator vestibule on the 55th floor was so packed that you couldn't get on any free elevators. people were starting to panic. a bunch of us said fuck it and took the 55 flights of stairs, thinking we were heroes or something (which we later felt stupid about after hearing the stories of the firefighters going up the wtc stairs). i walked the 2 miles home because you couldn't get a bus or train (everything was packed). i got home just in time to see the second tower fall. i'm pretty sure i smoked a pack of cigarettes that day.

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 9:58 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

we had just finished PT that morning when the first attack happened. we got a call and were told to turn the TV on just in time to catch the second attack. no clue what to do, our command didn't know what to do, so they told us to go to work as per normal. on the drive to work we listened to the radio and got to hear the towers fell. that was crazy. got to the front gate of the air station and they were turning everyone but residents and command away so we had to go back home to the army post where they were also turning everyone away.

we were way out in the boonies (20-ish miles outside of Yuma) so we didn't notice a difference in air plane noise.

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 11:28 pm 
Poster of the Year

doug rr wrote:
wease wrote:
doug rr wrote:

You were a stewardess?

yes

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate