The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: Re: Next-Gen Consoles (Coming 2020-ish)
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:36 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
But maybe they were over-priced to begin with and now video game people still make enough money, so... why change it at the risk of losing loyal customers?

I don't even know what to do with this statement/question.
Don't be a snob. I'm just throwing questions out there. I really don't know much at all about the industry or what goes on behind the curtains and how much people make. I'm reading up about some things now.

Of course you can ask questions. But maybe do some reading beforehand.
I'm just winging it, M_D. I'm not afraid of asking a stupid question. Maybe you had some quick, useful insight/knowledge for me.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:41 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
But maybe they were over-priced to begin with and now video game people still make enough money, so... why change it at the risk of losing loyal customers?

Seems like $60 probably was a lot in the 80s and 90s. I don't know if i ever got a brand new game on release day as a kid during that time. Most of my gaming in that era was with used games and rentals. My totally uneducated outsiders guess is that publishers were making good money in the 80s and 90s when games were $60, and that it's much tougher and more competitive now at the same price.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:47 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I do know that if RDR2 were $70, maybe even $65, my mom probably wouldn't have bought it for me for my birthday, and I would've probably not bought it until the price dropped. I wonder if most people are like this? The $60 price point seems, to me, to be the most the average person would pay for a game. I'm just saying maybe they've done their research and have discovered this. I also wonder, if, based on this, they won't be putting more work and resources into games than they do now and if we've reached a ceiling of sorts on how good games can be, until the technology very drastically improves.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:48 pm 
The Master

mf wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Seems like $60 probably was a lot in the 80s and 90s. I don't know if i ever got a brand new game on release day as a kid during that time. Most of my gaming in that era was with used games and rentals. My totally uneducated outsiders guess is that publishers were making good money in the 80s and 90s when games were $60, and that it's much tougher and more competitive now at the same price.

I like to examine attach rates for consoles:

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Software_tie_ratio

It doesn't appear that the cost of software has a direct relationship to units sold, as much as it has to do with the number of quality titles and the age demographics of the user.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2019 11:05 pm 
Champion of RM

XBOX Scarlett will play XBOX, 360, One, and Scarlett games. Now that's backward compatibilty.

PostPosted: Tue June 11, 2019 12:27 am 
AnalLog

CopperTom wrote:
XBOX Scarlett will play XBOX, 360, One, and Scarlett games. Now that's backward compatibilty.

Even though I'm staunchly a Sony guy, I have to admit that's pretty damn awesome

PostPosted: Tue June 11, 2019 2:42 am 
The Master

Revelator wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

Even though I'm staunchly a Sony guy, I have to admit that's pretty damn awesome

I have a strong hunch PS Now is going to play a major part of the PS5 in terms of backwards compatiblity with PS3. But yeah, Microsoft is doing it right.

PostPosted: Tue June 11, 2019 10:25 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

If they can get Combat running and it's multiplayer on the internet, then I'm instantly in.

PostPosted: Tue June 11, 2019 11:38 pm 
Champion of RM

bune wrote:

If they can get Combat running and it's multiplayer on the internet, then I'm instantly in.

What’s going on here? Digital only? Will there be modern games? All retro games are editable?

PostPosted: Wed June 12, 2019 12:18 am 
Champion of RM

CopperTom wrote:
bune wrote:

What’s going on here? Digital only? Will there be modern games? All retro games are editable?

Sandbox Mode will let users boot into other operating systems on an external drive.

So this will be a emulator and rom paradise. Price is steep for its potential.

PostPosted: Tue October 08, 2019 1:53 pm 
The Master

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/

Playstation 5 coming in November/December 2020. More details about the controller, solid state drive, etc.

PostPosted: Tue October 08, 2019 3:05 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:

Playstation 5 coming in November/December 2020. More details about the controller, solid state drive, etc.

Holy shit, that is some exciting stuff! Love the idea of fine grain control over what data can be installed or deleted from a game. And those new controller haptics sound amazing. Man it's gonna be a long 14 months to wait.

PostPosted: Tue October 08, 2019 3:16 pm 
The Master

The ability to jump into the single player or multiplayer modes straight from the console menu will be a huge plus for me.

I like these little nuggets of technical details before the major reveal. Sony has been so quiet about their next gen plans I have a feeling they will go all out when they choose to officially unveil it (software announcements, services announcements, backwards compatibility details, etc.).

PostPosted: Tue October 08, 2019 3:31 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Monkey_Driven wrote:

PostPosted: Tue October 08, 2019 3:47 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Ghost Of Christmas Future Taunts Children With Visions Of PlayStation 5

lol at Star Wars IX

PostPosted: Tue October 08, 2019 6:12 pm 
Champion of RM

Why can't I preorder? TAKE MY MONEY!

PostPosted: Tue October 08, 2019 8:48 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

bune wrote:

lol

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 1:04 am 
AnalLog

Monkey_Driven wrote:
The ability to jump into the single player or multiplayer modes straight from the console menu will be a huge plus for me.

I like these little nuggets of technical details before the major reveal. Sony has been so quiet about their next gen plans I have a feeling they will go all out when they choose to officially unveil it (software announcements, services announcements, backwards compatibility details, etc.).

Definitely exciting, and even though it's low on the totem pole compared to other specs...FINALLY a fucking 4k blu ray player

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 1:18 am 
The Master

Revelator wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Definitely exciting, and even though it's low on the totem pole compared to other specs...FINALLY a fucking 4k blu ray player

Yes!!!

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 1:52 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Just read about the Playstation 5. Always exciting with a new generation of consoles.

With both the Switch and the Xbox One X, and more than 200 games combined, it feels almost too soon for me. Although I guess it's still a couple of years from now before it will feel necessary to upgrade.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 57  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games