The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 135  Next
 Post subject: Re: The War on Terror /Central Asia/Mid East/Africa thread
PostPosted: Wed August 28, 2013 1:33 pm 
Future Drummer

So again we play "enemy of my enemy" and end up aligned with Al Qaeda. Because that has worked out so well in the past.

PostPosted: Wed August 28, 2013 2:24 pm 
AnalLog

broken iris wrote:

So again we play "enemy of my enemy" and end up aligned with Al Qaeda. Because that has worked out so well in the past.

I wouldn't say we're so much aligned with them. Think of it in terms of software, it's not a bug, it's an "unintended feature". ;)

PostPosted: Wed August 28, 2013 3:01 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Obama is in a no win situation, it's mostly his own doing though. He's the one who drew a line in the sand and Assad called his bluff. Now he has to do something or every foreign government will know they can do whatever they want without repercussions from the US. So he has to align himself with terrorists or look even more weak than he already does to foreign leaders. I think he'll end up doing what Clinton did and just lob a few missiles into Syria and hope that China or Russia don't take too much offense to it. It won't do anything, but it'll at least make it look like he did something.

PostPosted: Wed August 28, 2013 3:19 pm 
Future Drummer

shinkdew wrote:
Obama is in a no win situation, it's mostly his own doing though. He's the one who drew a line in the sand and Assad called his bluff. Now he has to do something or every foreign government will know they can do whatever they want without repercussions from the US. So he has to align himself with terrorists or look even more weak than he already does to foreign leaders. I think he'll end up doing what Clinton did and just lob a few missiles into Syria and hope that China or Russia don't take too much offense to it. It won't do anything, but it'll at least make it look like he did something.

He could let the other NATO countries do the shooting and just provide the logistics/intel support. Much like Japan did in Afghanistan.

PostPosted: Wed August 28, 2013 4:37 pm 
AnalLog

broken iris wrote:
shinkdew wrote:

He could let the other NATO countries do the shooting and just provide the logistics/intel support. Much like Japan did in Afghanistan.

I don't think that will work. I'm not a military expert, but the Syrian army and anti-air defense are much more substantial than Afghanistan (and Libya). I'm not sure EU forces are stronger/better enough to avoid numerous casualties.

PostPosted: Wed August 28, 2013 5:54 pm 
Broken Tamborine

broken iris wrote:
shinkdew wrote:

I think at this point, most people believe NATO = USA.

PostPosted: Wed August 28, 2013 6:45 pm 
Future Drummer

shinkdew wrote:

God forbid that we offend anyone. We never do that.

PostPosted: Thu August 29, 2013 2:51 pm 
AnalLog

shinkdew wrote:
broken iris wrote:
shinkdew wrote:

I think at this point, most people believe NATO = USA.

If you remove the US, what is left that NATO can do?

PostPosted: Fri August 30, 2013 10:35 am 
Future Drummer

After listening to a couple journalists in the Mid-East, it's frustrating to hear them say that countries like Saudi Arabia, Jordan, & Turkey (all supporters of Syrian rebels) are secretly in favor of U.S. strikes, yet they won't publicly say it. And if the U.S. does strike, and it does nothing but add fuel to the fire, then the said countries will just as easily berate the U.S.

Isn't it great being the most powerful country in the world?

PostPosted: Fri August 30, 2013 12:40 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

at this point, why don't we drone strike and blow up assad? wouldn't that be a clear message?

he's gotta be on the "target" list someplace. not to mention, with all the eavesdropping we've been doing, we can surely fudge some documents and audio to make him out to be the evilest evil that ever eviled, no?

PostPosted: Fri August 30, 2013 1:19 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I can't help but get a little excited when warships start showing up.

Harry Lime wrote:

This is funny because we actually aren't. Korean teenage girls could kick all of our asses according to my sons.

PostPosted: Fri August 30, 2013 2:06 pm 
Future Drummer

mookie wrote:

Harry Lime wrote:

This is funny because we actually aren't. Korean teenage girls could kick all of our asses according to my sons.

Tell your sons: "Not if they are pregnant".

PostPosted: Fri August 30, 2013 2:31 pm 
AnalLog

mookie wrote:

Harry Lime wrote:

:haha:

wtf?

PostPosted: Fri August 30, 2013 6:16 pm 
Future Drummer

Iraq's ghost looms over everything.

PostPosted: Fri August 30, 2013 6:55 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Fuck You Jobu wrote:
mookie wrote:

Harry Lime wrote:

:haha:

wtf?

Call of Duty: Black Ops :haha:

PostPosted: Mon September 02, 2013 3:54 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon September 02, 2013 8:29 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I wonder who likes Obama the executive more than Obama the legislator at this point (especially considering the use of force business).

I suppose this sort of follow my feelings for the Republican party. They are equally if not more ruinous when in power, but from time to time they are useful when in the opposition.

So, Robot overlords for the sake of consistency?

PostPosted: Mon September 02, 2013 3:46 pm 
Broken Tamborine

So what has anyone else heard on that sarin cylinder that was found in Turkey? I mean we need credible evidence, right? So how do we know which source is the most credible anymore? Us or them?

http://www.globalresearch.ca/turkey-fin ... may-report

PostPosted: Mon September 02, 2013 3:49 pm 
Broken Tamborine

BurtReynolds wrote:

Yes, yes, because Obama doesn't have an invisible finger up his ass. :arrow:

PostPosted: Mon September 02, 2013 5:46 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:
So, Robot overlords for the sake of consistency?

the below statement is pretty consistent with the action taken in Libya:

Quote:
According to the Guardian's Spencer Ackerman, Secretary of State John Kerry, this morning on CNN, said this when asked whether the Congressional vote would be binding: "[Obama] has the right to do this no matter what Congress does."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 135  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate