The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: What have you been wrong about?
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:33 pm 
Future Drummer

Nobody is right about everything. I'm certain that there's something I'm 100% confident about right now that I'm absolutely wrong about. Does anyone else ever stop to consider precisely what it is they might be wrong about? To think through how they might be wrong about something, what the implications of being wrong on a particular topic or issue might be? I don't mean superficial accommodation to a contrary position, but meaningful consideration of both the shortcomings of one's arguments and the merits of another's?

Post subject: Re: What have you been wrong about?
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:34 pm 
Future Drummer

I know I've been wrong about more than just four or five things, but these are the first examples that come to mind. This was a painful exercise, and is a nice reminder that I know a lot less than I imagine. Having fewer opinions is usually preferable to having more.

Data/analytics as phrenology - Woof. No small irony that I now use data to build models and AI applications for a living. This was a very bad take.

The Jay Cutler trade - There's some gray here, but I way overvalued draft capital here. Cutler obviously wasn't a franchise quarterback, but that's an issue with Chicago's evaluation of the player, not their valuation of the position. You pay two firsts and a third every day of the week for a franchise quarterback.

Classifying addiction as a disease - Not as cringey a series of posts as I'd remembered. Nonetheless, there are layers of nuance regarding mental health that I didn't - and still don't - grasp. Not a hill worth dying on, in retrospect.

Hyperinflation is near - Surprised that a "hyperinflation" search only yielded eleven posts. This is the only one I could find where I out-and-out claimed it was near. Nope. Whiffed big here (though, as doug can confirm, I literally put my money where my mouth was and made a killing in gold and silver in 2008-2011).

Disregarding the political costs of free trade - Couldn't remember a single incriminating post, but I'm sure there's one in this thread. I don't think I wanted to think through how costly trade could be to the unskilled, so I got lazy and indulgent and hand-wavy and did all I could to distract from the costs.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:20 am 
Mind Your Tanners

If I've ever been wrong about anything it certainly hasn't been documented on RM.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:49 am 
Looks Like a Cat

My take on why Catholics will never leave the Church was a little simplistic, I'll admit.

http://archive.theskyiscrape.com/viewto ... b#p3023390

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know if I can find a single post on here, but I've never been more wrong about politics than how I judged Donald Trump's political potential. I didn't think he would even sniff the GOP nomination, let alone the presidency itself.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

--- wrote:
The Jay Cutler trade - There's some gray here, but I way overvalued draft capital here. Cutler obviously wasn't a franchise quarterback, but that's an issue with Chicago's evaluation of the player, not their valuation of the position. You pay two firsts and a third every day of the week for a franchise quarterback.
Interesting to see this, because in the postmortem Denver came out way better than Chicago despite having to suffer one (very painful) bad season. Sure, they had some luck to get there, but had they kept Cutler the Broncos likely still end up treading around the 8-10 win level in the 2010s like they did in the 2000s, instead of becoming the only team in the AFC regularly capable of stopping the Patriots from going to the Super Bowl.

Now, if you want to see my biggest swing and miss related to the Broncos/NFL, it was wanting Marcell Dareus over Von Miller in the 2011 NFL Draft. I was a complete moron to have been valuing an interior DL over an edge rusher. Never been happier to have been so wrong. Though it looks like you also overvalued Dareus--even over Auburn hero Cam Newton!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:18 pm 
Poster of the Year

Mitch Moreland.

The 2011 Red Sox.

My brief flirtation with libertarianism.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:19 pm 
Poster of the Year

Also I really thought they were about to find Maura Murray's body last month.

Last edited by Norris on Sun May 12, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:14 pm 
AnalLog

I was wrong and would like to publicly apologize for the things I said on the old RM in the infamous swinger thread. I was going through a divorce at the time that had some infidelity issues and threw out a lot of nasty stuff toward people i don’t know because of their lifestyle, all because of the shit I was going through.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

meatwad wrote:
I was wrong and would like to publicly apologize for the things I said on the old RM in the infamous swinger thread. I was going through a divorce at the time that had some infidelity issues and threw out a lot of nasty stuff toward people i don’t know because of their lifestyle, all because of the shit I was going through.
I remember that thread, and I don't think it was just you who felt that way. I thought that poster went through way too much shit for what I feel is a perfectly acceptable lifestyle, and I regret that I was too scared to speak up and defend him.

And on that note, one of my most hated active ad campaigns right now is that despicable Slingers campaign.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

A couple ideological things I'll mention, though I think it was more me being unwise than factually incorrect:
--I can't remember any specific thread, but I used to favor some immigration regulations, as opposed to my now firm open borders viewpoint. I never went full "build the wall!", of course, but things like border security didn't strike me as unreasonable early on in my posting here.
--I wasn't as racially woke as I should have been, a consequence of growing up in a city with no sizeable racial minority population, and then a hippie liberal arts college that prided itself on internationalism, but is extremely bougie white as far as the American student body goes. This blackface thread, for one, was woefully ignorant on the pitfalls of coopting the social constructs of race.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:38 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Green Habit wrote:
meatwad wrote:
I remember that thread, and I don't think it was just you who felt that way. I thought that poster went through way too much shit for what I feel is a perfectly acceptable lifestyle, and I regret that I was too scared to speak up and defend him.

And on that note, one of my most hated active ad campaigns right now is that despicable Slingers campaign.

Just took a look at that thread. Damn, people missing the point left and right. We've come a long way since 2004 -- I imagine people would be a lot more understanding if that thread was made today.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

theplatypus wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
meatwad wrote:

Just took a look at that thread. Damn, people missing the point left and right. We've come a long way since 2004 -- I imagine people would be a lot more understanding if that thread was made today.
Maybe on this board, but I think people in general still lose their shit way too easily when it comes to any sort of sexual activity that veers off the norm.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:09 pm 
AnalLog

I don’t regret not supporting that lifestyle, I regret personally attacking the person who started it. If that thread happened today I’d probably not engage with it at all, and I certainly wouldn’t pass judgment on the people involved or insult them.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:23 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i was wrong thinking that lenny was just one person...

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:31 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

--- wrote:
I literally put my money where my mouth was and made a killing in gold and silver in 2008-2011.

You gave me a ton of advice about economical living back then, but you never, ever told me about gold and silver. I feel cheated.

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:27 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Plastic straw ban

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:38 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Obama.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:44 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Liberalism more broadly, fwiw.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:20 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
Plastic straw ban

Which side were you on

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate