The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post subject: Attending a golf tournament
PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2019 4:35 pm 
mXn

(In anticipation of golf becoming its own sub-forum)

I have never attended. I’m curious as to a patron’s strategy.

Do you...

A) Post up in one spot ... see every player come through, probably from a great spot, but only get to see a small fraction of the course

B) Follow someone ... get to see the whole course but not necessarily a good vantage point and only get to see a handful of players

C) Bounce around like a fucking maniac to see this guy over here, that guy over there, sprint to see this and that throughout the day

Post subject: Re: Attending a golf tournament
PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2019 4:39 pm 
The Master

Bammer wrote:

Do you...

A) Post up in one spot ... see every player come through, probably from a great spot, but only get to see a small fraction of the course

B) Follow someone ... get to see the whole course but not necessarily a good vantage point and only get to see a handful of players

C) Bounce around like a fucking maniac to see this guy over here, that guy over there, sprint to see this and that throughout the day

Really depends on how many days you are attending.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2019 4:39 pm 
mXn

Say you want a nice spot on the 18th green on Sunday. Do you head straight there when the gates open and twiddle your thumbs for 4 hours until the groups start to complete their rounds?

Attending a golf tournament seems like a shitshow. It’s like if you went to a football game but could only watch what happens on like a 10-yard section of the field.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2019 4:40 pm 
mXn

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Do you...

Really depends on how many days you are attending.

Fair point. Let’s say Saturday only.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2019 4:40 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

D.) hang out at the 19th Hole and enjoy a flat top jalapeño cheeseburger and some Cutty Sark setups before the crowd arrives.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2019 4:51 pm 
mXn

So at Augusta do they chop your hand off if they catch you with a cell phone out?

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2019 4:51 pm 
The Master

Also depends on who is playing in the tournament, when they are teeing off, who you want to see, etc.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2019 4:52 pm 
The Master

Bammer wrote:
So at Augusta do they chop your hand off if they catch you with a cell phone out?

You can't bring them on the course. They have metal detectors and will take them from you at the entrance.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2019 5:02 pm 
mXn

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Bammer wrote:

You can't bring them on the course. They have metal detectors and will take them from you at the entrance.

Got to be the largest collection of people in the (developed) world without a cell phone among them. Impressive.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2019 5:06 pm 
The Master

Bammer wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Got to be the largest collection of people in the (developed) world without a cell phone among them. Impressive.

It was one of the best things about being there, to be honest.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2019 5:16 pm 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Bammer wrote:

i call bullshit

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2019 5:30 pm 
The Master

spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Bammer wrote:

i call bullshit

On what? Look it up. They have a strict no cellphone policy.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2019 6:20 pm 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Bammer wrote:

i call bullshit

On what? Look it up. They have a strict no cellphone policy.

Augusta and its cutting edge policies as usual.

PostPosted: Mon April 15, 2019 2:49 pm 
Rank This Poster

Bammer wrote:

Do you...

It depends on the course and what you want to do. Augusta National is a stadium course. There are a lot of places to go and see multiple shots from multiple holes. Many tournaments are built around houses and cart paths, and it's impossible to do anything except post up at say 18 or walk the entire course.

I've done A, B and C. Following a group is freaking crazy if it's Tiger. Sometimes we post up at one hole and watch everyone, sometimes we pick one on the front 9 and one on the back 9 to watch for a while, usually walk the course before anyone's on it... it really depends on the course and the way the tournament is set up (and the access that you have to particular areas of interest)

There's a cell phone check stand outside the main gates at Augusta. That's where most of them are if they aren't left in cars. Official Scorers have small handheld devices for updating scoring, and members/member guests have some cell phones on them occasionally. The vast majority of patrons are technology free. I have seen one phone fall from someones pocket and plinko style nearly fall into the water at 16, no one claimed it. Outside of the odd annoyance that I can't immediately see what's happening somewhere else on the course, not having a digital device for 9 hours is pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Mon April 15, 2019 3:19 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

i've been to a couple of tourneys (including the rider cup when it was at medinah in 2012). i much prefer getting a spot on a tee box rather than a green. there are typically less people and depending on when you get there, you're mere feet away from the players (some will talk to you).

also, depending on how many people are there, it's hard to follow players and navigating the crowds at the same time.

also, try to get to the driving ranges if they let you.

PostPosted: Mon April 15, 2019 3:28 pm 
The Master

I've been t0 several tournaments over the years. I've tried a bunch of different strategies. If you want to see as much golf as possible and get good views these are my tips:

- Research the course ahead of time to see what holes are considered to be the most difficult or the "signature holes".
- Get to the course as early as possible to scope out the high ground at your desired holes. Shaded spots are always preferred. Access to concessions and bathrooms are also preferred. Scoreboard/video board nearby is a bonus too.
- Try to find a spot every 6-9 holes or so. An ideal spot can see multiple holes (landing area of a tee shot/a green/a hazard). Park yourself there to watch the first several groups come through. Once you see who you want to see move to the next spot 6-9 holes later. Repeat. If it is a Thursday or Friday round you can do the same thing in the morning and afternoon and see every group.
- Go to the merch tent around mid-day to avoid crowds.
- Bring a giant bottle of water in with you and refill it at refilling stations.
- Avoid grandstands if possible (unless it is THE hole). Those are for the parkers (patrons who sit in the same spot all day).

PostPosted: Mon April 15, 2019 3:36 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I've only been to a couple..the international back in the day in colorado and the 2008 us open at torrey that tiger won..I agree that tee boxes are great because you get to hear that sound of the ball coming off a driver that us guys will never achieve..

PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2019 4:49 am 
mXn

It would drive me nuts to attend a sporting event and not see the vast majority of what is taking place.

PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2019 12:16 pm 
The Master

Bammer wrote:
It would drive me nuts to attend a sporting event and not see the vast majority of what is taking place.

I get that. But, it's also the only sporting event where anyone with a ticket can get mere feet away from every participant. You can also move around. You're not confined to one seat or one area.

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports