The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 346  Next
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sat February 23, 2019 7:57 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

McParadigm wrote:

This is beautiful because is subtly reminds readers about the false claim that Gabby Giffords was politically targeted.

I mean, I'd say its a dogwhistle, but I'm not allowed to claim that.

PostPosted: Sat February 23, 2019 5:28 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

simple schoolboy wrote:
This is beautiful because is subtly reminds readers about the false claim that Gabby Giffords was politically targeted.

lol

PostPosted: Thu March 14, 2019 10:38 pm 
Rank This Poster

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/13/amer ... index.html

the video inside the school was way too heavy for me

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 5:17 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Files for 3-D printed glock frames (with aluminum rail inserts) have been released. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 11:22 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

The mosque shooter in Christchurch this morning live streamed the shooting. Horrific :shake:

Sad day.

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 11:41 am 
what on earth am I talking about

This response from an Australian senator is Fucking repugnant

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 11:58 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Awful. That guy is saying it was ok. My god I’m shocked at everything...political leaders all over the world justifing these actions. Damn. So fucking confusing times.

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 12:03 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

VinylGuy wrote:
Awful. That guy is saying it was ok. My god I’m shocked at everything...political leaders all over the world justifing these actions. Damn. So fucking confusing times.

Fraser Anning is a pathetic nobody who only received 19 votes yet found himself elected to the Australian Senate by a bizarre and unpredictable sequence of events. A political leader he isn't.

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 12:47 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The Daily Mail e-published the guy’s manifesto. What the actual fuck

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 12:56 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Not sure about the efficacy of online petitions but I just signed one regarding Annings hate speech. Repugnant.

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 12:59 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
The Daily Mail e-published the guy’s manifesto. What the actual fuck

That’s the very worst newspaper in the entire world.
Definition of fake news and stirring up rancour. Particularly against Muslims

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 1:28 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Birds in Hell wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Fraser Anning is a pathetic nobody who only received 19 votes yet found himself elected to the Australian Senate by a bizarre and unpredictable sequence of events. A political leader he isn't.

I wasnt talking about him. Im talking about guys like Trump or Bolsonaro getting elected because pretty much what this guy said.

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 2:39 pm 

Looking at Trumps breitbart tweet last night (now deleted) then His tweet today not condemning the people doing this shit, says everything

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 2:47 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The Venn diagram on trolls and Nazis remains heavily overlapped

Quote:
The manifesto — which I won’t quote on general principle — is an especially bizarre piece of debris, as it seems to have been custom-tailored to make a particular group of extremely online right-wing users laugh, while stunning and horrifying the confused, oblivious media. It is littered with oblique references to memes, sarcastic asides and episodes of apparent satire — despite the fact that the attack it aims to explicate was extremely real. Any manifesto belonging to an extremist will naturally be more legible to members of the same fringe. But few in recent memory have seemed as clearly geared toward eliciting a laugh from fellow radicalized memesters.

Among all the different expressions of evil — from the carefully planned and executed and colossal to the impulsive and rash and small — what binds them together is their fundamental thoughtlessness. Above all else, evil is unreflective, shallow, empty. The damage that it causes is forever out of proportion to the consideration that spawned it. It never really perceives itself, though it always considers itself an exacting and scrupulous judge of others. Evil is the simple adherence to orders in the course of a genocide, and it is the rattling off of dumb jokes in the run-up to a mass murder. There is always so much less there than it seems.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... sness-evil

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 2:50 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

“Understandable...on a political level.”

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 2:55 pm 

Seeing this all over today. Not just US.

It’s a ‘mass shooting’. Not a terrorist attack.

Shit needs to be called what it is.

Terrorism.

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 3:13 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

This was breaking just as I was going to bed last night, just heart breakingly horrific.

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 3:22 pm 
AnalLog

It’s sickening on so many levels, not least of which is the distribution of the video. My wife just got home from her dream trip to NZ last Saturday, so we’ve been talking a lot about the country and her experiences there, looking at thousands of beautiful pictures, talking about how friendly everyone was. Sad that a few right-wing nut jobs can pull something like this off, but hey, that’s what they’re known for.

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 7:28 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

dimejinky99 wrote:
Seeing this all over today. Not just US.

It’s a ‘mass shooting’. Not a terrorist attack.

Shit needs to be called what it is.

Terrorism.

Agreed. It’s terror. the intent was clear.

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 8:13 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

McParadigm wrote:
The Venn diagram on trolls and Nazis remains heavily overlapped

Quote:
The manifesto — which I won’t quote on general principle — is an especially bizarre piece of debris, as it seems to have been custom-tailored to make a particular group of extremely online right-wing users laugh, while stunning and horrifying the confused, oblivious media. It is littered with oblique references to memes, sarcastic asides and episodes of apparent satire — despite the fact that the attack it aims to explicate was extremely real. Any manifesto belonging to an extremist will naturally be more legible to members of the same fringe. But few in recent memory have seemed as clearly geared toward eliciting a laugh from fellow radicalized memesters.

Among all the different expressions of evil — from the carefully planned and executed and colossal to the impulsive and rash and small — what binds them together is their fundamental thoughtlessness. Above all else, evil is unreflective, shallow, empty. The damage that it causes is forever out of proportion to the consideration that spawned it. It never really perceives itself, though it always considers itself an exacting and scrupulous judge of others. Evil is the simple adherence to orders in the course of a genocide, and it is the rattling off of dumb jokes in the run-up to a mass murder. There is always so much less there than it seems.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... sness-evil

Another summary from Vox
Quote:
And it’s also worth mentioning that a lot of the document is akin to what’s known as “shitposting” — intentionally throwing out red-meat content to readers to distract them or draw them deeper into the same online pits where he himself was radicalized.

For example, the Christchurch shooter mentions a popular YouTube personality and a popular American right-wing figure before joking that he was radicalized in reality by the game Fortnite, which taught him to “floss on the corpses of my enemies” (flossing being a dance move that the game helped popularize.) He also describes himself as an expert in “gorilla warfare.” Many people reading the manifesto jumped on those mentions immediately, which is, as Robert Evans, a journalist and expert on far-right terror communication argued, exactly the point.

While “shitposting” is a common thread in far-right online culture — meme-ing racism and anti-Semitism is how white supremacists hope to spread their ideology — jokey characteristics of the manifesto are in line with similar language used in older far-right groups as well.

In short, everything in the Christchurch shooter’s manifesto is what the Christchurch shooter wants us to know about him. Like Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber who killed three people and injured 23 others in a nationwide bombing campaign from the 1970s to the 1990s, or even Adolf Hitler’s Mein Kampf, published in 1925, the point of these manifestos is not to be factual or realistic about the inner worlds of their authors. In Mein Kampf, Hitler portrays himself as a talented artist and lover of architecture. In Kaczynski’s manifesto, he portrays himself as a man profoundly concerned about the material problems of industrial society. Manifestos aren’t honest. Manifestos are for mass consumption.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 346  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate