The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Captain Marvel (2019)
PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2019 7:31 pm 
The Master

Mecca wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
This movie was pretty okay. My biggest issue was the "HEY THIS IS THE NINETIES DID YOU KNOW ITS THE NINETIES LETS HIT YOU WITH MORE NINENTIES JUST INCASE YOU DIDNT KNOW IT WAS THE NINETIES DO YOU REMEMBER THIS THING FROM THE NINETIES"

Brie Larson was solid. Deaging Tech is getting scary good. They telegraphed the importance of the cat way too much. The Skrull makeup seemed cheesy.

Basically this movie was not a story that needed to be told, but just a character that needed to be introduced. And they did that just fine.

Really? I thought it got the “hey do your remember the nineties? I sure do” out of the way pretty quickly.

This was a fine movie, with a decent story that adds color to the whole marvel universe.

One marvel trope that needs to end is the masked super hero who is constantly showing their face. Like “oh here’s this technology so the Black Panther can randomly make his face appear in The middle of the fight to say something” and Captain Marvel is just as guilty. I blame Spider Man 3 for this whole thing starting.

I hate this as well. Iron Man probably started it in the MCU though.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2019 7:41 pm 
slower than 82% of US

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Mecca wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
This movie was pretty okay. My biggest issue was the "HEY THIS IS THE NINETIES DID YOU KNOW ITS THE NINETIES LETS HIT YOU WITH MORE NINENTIES JUST INCASE YOU DIDNT KNOW IT WAS THE NINETIES DO YOU REMEMBER THIS THING FROM THE NINETIES"

Brie Larson was solid. Deaging Tech is getting scary good. They telegraphed the importance of the cat way too much. The Skrull makeup seemed cheesy.

Basically this movie was not a story that needed to be told, but just a character that needed to be introduced. And they did that just fine.

Really? I thought it got the “hey do your remember the nineties? I sure do” out of the way pretty quickly.

This was a fine movie, with a decent story that adds color to the whole marvel universe.

One marvel trope that needs to end is the masked super hero who is constantly showing their face. Like “oh here’s this technology so the Black Panther can randomly make his face appear in The middle of the fight to say something” and Captain Marvel is just as guilty. I blame Spider Man 3 for this whole thing starting.

I hate this as well. Iron Man probably started it in the MCU though.
I am sure it’s the actors requiring a certain percentage of their screen time requiring their faces be shown to build their own brand up.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2019 8:22 pm 
The Master

it bothers me in war movies too where lead actors don't wear helmets.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2019 8:59 pm 
Major Dude

Mecca wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:

The comics character doesn’t really wear a mask tho.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2019 12:31 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Mecca wrote:

But Captain Marvel doesn't hide her identity. Her helmet is utilitarian ... Kinda.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2019 12:57 am 
Major Dude

B wrote:
Mecca wrote:

But Captain Marvel doesn't hide her identity. Her helmet is utilitarian ... Kinda.

Jesus Christ, do you not even glance at any other posts before you post?

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2019 1:01 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Starlord's annoys me the most for some reason.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2019 2:02 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
B wrote:
Mecca wrote:

OK, I went back to Mecca's original post. I don't see anything about Captain Marvel's helmet not hiding her identity. I feel that your blasphemy is unwarranted.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2019 2:59 am 
slower than 82% of US

B doesn’t hide his Bness, wease

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2019 3:40 am 
Major Dude

B wrote:
wease wrote:
B wrote:
Mecca wrote:

OK, I went back to Mecca's original post. I don't see anything about Captain Marvel's helmet not hiding her identity. I feel that your blasphemy is unwarranted.

I mentioned it in the post right before yours!!

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2019 5:36 am 
Mind Your Tanners

@SkitchP wrote:
This movie was pretty okay. My biggest issue was the "HEY THIS IS THE NINETIES DID YOU KNOW ITS THE NINETIES LETS HIT YOU WITH MORE NINENTIES JUST INCASE YOU DIDNT KNOW IT WAS THE NINETIES DO YOU REMEMBER THIS THING FROM THE NINETIES

THIS. In spades.

And the script was just dumb.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2019 9:59 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
B wrote:
wease wrote:
B wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Yeah, I read that again. That's a weak accusation of "Classic B.". I did NOT say the same thing that you did. Certainly not close enough to warrant such a mean response. Maybe that was worth a "Yeah, that's what I'm saying."

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2019 11:59 am 
Major Dude

B wrote:
wease wrote:
B wrote:
wease wrote:
B wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Yeah, I read that again. That's a weak accusation of "Classic B.". I did NOT say the same thing that you did. Certainly not close enough to warrant such a mean response. Maybe that was worth a "Yeah, that's what I'm saying."

Mean? That wasn’t mean. Nor did I issue a Classic B.

Regardless, we’re both right and Mecca’s wrong.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2019 12:03 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

:nice:

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2019 3:02 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

the helmet allows her to breathe in atmosphere's/places that she normally wouldnt be able to, as does starlords. its not so much to hide an identity

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2019 3:47 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Peeps wrote:
B wrote:
I enjoyed it. I didn't find the exposition too heavy, the music didn't bug me, and I found CMs motivation believable, but I felt totally Solo'd by Fury's eye. A stupid story that we didn't need to know.

months ago when it was revealed fury would have both eyes the theory was floated it was because of the cat....

glad to see they changed the cats species

I think you mean 'name'?

B wrote:
bune wrote:
Man, that cameo.
Spoiler: show
If you've ever heard Kevin Smith talk about Stan, especially his Fatman Beyond episode/eulogy, you have to know what that scene means. God, just thinking about how much Kevin loved that man and that they chose to make that connection makes me misty-eyed. It's hard to explain, feeling feelings for someone else's feelings? I dunno.

If you haven't listened to that episode of the Fatman Beyond podcast, you really should.

What does it mean that Stan Lee exists in this universe? I assume he was asked to star in Mallrats because he wrote all the comics that introduced all these Avengers who actually exist.

Yeah, that is a conundrum. If he's famous enough to be in Mallrats (lol) then what's he famous for?

B wrote:
Interesting, nitpicky plothole:

"Come As You Are" was released in 1993, and was available on vinyl in 1996. Apparently, CM heard that song during her short visit to Earth and it became so important to her that it was playing in the construct for the AI.

Also, when Fury told her "lose the flannel," how did she know what flannel was?

I read the scene as the Supreme Intelligence picked the music since Carol was under interrogation, not so much that it was important to Carol. I also feel that - and this is prior knowledge of the SI - that the person doesn't pick the construct's appearance, since it exhibited a choice in the jacket. Though now that I'm thinking about that it brings up a question of where it was getting the information from. And it's too early for me to articulate what I'm thinking about; I've already written and deleted several attempts. ugh.

surfndestroy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
B wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
I just read that Captain Marvel is killing it at the box office. It does not need my help. I'm back to not seeing it in a theater. Thank you for your attention.

That's like, what? ... 7th best opening for an MCU movie. I've enjoyed all the MCU movies except for Thor II: The Bad One, but this movie isn't top 10. I'd say mid teens in quality.

Shut up, B. It made 153 million and it's the biggest opening of the year so far!
Do you trust those numbers? Disney and Rotten Tomatoes have not been anywhere near transparent enough regarding this movie for me to trust those numbers. I checked online before going out and at 4pm you could still get good tickets for the 8pm screening in my local theatre. Four hour before show time and an about 80 seat theatre was only 2/3 sold. Not sure I trust the numbers provided.

So you drop that and run. Ok then.

I absolutely loved every chance Ben Mendelsohn has to just be himself behind all that makeup. It was the weirdest thing, seeing what seemed to be a completely natural acting job under all that disguise. I loved every scene he had as the Skrull.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2019 4:22 pm 
slower than 82% of US

Peeps wrote:
the helmet allows her to breathe in atmosphere's/places that she normally wouldnt be able to, as does starlords. its not so much to hide an identity

I don’t care; it’s annoying

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2019 4:57 pm 
Major Dude

Peeps wrote:

She doesn’t need it with her Binary powers, tho, which seemed to be what was going on there at the end.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2019 5:24 pm 
slower than 82% of US

wease wrote:
Peeps wrote:

She doesn’t need it with her Binary powers, tho, which seemed to be what was going on there at the end.

We live in a non-binary society, wease

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2019 5:30 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Mecca wrote:
wease wrote:
Peeps wrote:

We live in a non-binary society, wease

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment